Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Pulling out dents?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling out dents?

Hi guys my car over the past few months has aquired alot of little dings. Due to people not caring at store parking lots mostly. Is there a simple way to pull most of these out. I`ve heard dry ice and do it. Also heard that a heat gun will do it. also there is 1 dent in my left rear quater panel I wanna try and pull out but im afraid to try. Ill post pics later of that one. But the most part these dings are small nothing huge.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Pulling out dents?

Tough to do by yourself, I would try paintless dent removal.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The easiest and cheapest way to do it is to try the suction cup method. They make a specific suction cup for that. Place it on the dent and attach it then pull it off fast but not too hard or youll do more damage than whats already there.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where can I get one of those?
Old 08-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

old trick my dad taught me for the little dings, upside down aerosol can and a blow dryer will pop out the small dents.

first you cool the metal with the aerosol then heat it quickly and the metal will contract then expand, hopefully quick enough of a change and presto the dent has popped itself out
Old 08-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

the way P D R works is.....you get behind the panel, shine a very bright light on it....and have an array of small hammer type tools, and you tap them out.

I talked to a guy who does it for a living and he said he watched like 6 hours worth of dvd's and went to work. Its all about learning the angles to get into places, and access to tools. I know for roof work they have things that look like hangers bent into straight line that have small hammer edges on the tip.

If the dents are on your door....pull off the door panel, and tap it VERY lightly and try to get them to reverse themselves. You really need either a body mans hammer (not the same as a hardware store hammer)

Or....head over to Harbor Freight and get a suction cup kit...I think they are like 16 bucks....
Old 08-03-2011, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, and not for nothing....but anyone looking for a high paying career (who dont mind travel) should look into it.

The dealership I worked out would literally wait weeks for this guy to swing by. He'd come like once a month, work for 3-4 hours pulling dents on various cars on the lot, and leave with 2k. Dealerships pay like 100/car for him to pull out hail damage/careless customers etc etc. Its ALOT cheaper then sending them into the body shop. So, we'd amass 20 cars...he'd swing by, bang them out in 1/2 a day....and cut him a 2k check. This was once a month...every month. In the winter after storms, we'd routinely have 40-50 cars for him.

I talked in length with the guy and he was telling me he was making 3k a week doing it. He was working for a company, who did a 50-50 split, so some guy would set up the jobs, and this guy would go out and do them. They had dealerships from NY to CA. And this guy would do like NY/CT/PA/MA the majority of the time, but if needed, they'd send him to Florida or even California...where ever he was needed and there was work.

Still 1k for 4 hours work is a good situation, lol.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
Oh, and not for nothing....but anyone looking for a high paying career (who dont mind travel) should look into it.

The dealership I worked out would literally wait weeks for this guy to swing by. He'd come like once a month, work for 3-4 hours pulling dents on various cars on the lot, and leave with 2k. Dealerships pay like 100/car for him to pull out hail damage/careless customers etc etc. Its ALOT cheaper then sending them into the body shop. So, we'd amass 20 cars...he'd swing by, bang them out in 1/2 a day....and cut him a 2k check. This was once a month...every month. In the winter after storms, we'd routinely have 40-50 cars for him.

I talked in length with the guy and he was telling me he was making 3k a week doing it. He was working for a company, who did a 50-50 split, so some guy would set up the jobs, and this guy would go out and do them. They had dealerships from NY to CA. And this guy would do like NY/CT/PA/MA the majority of the time, but if needed, they'd send him to Florida or even California...where ever he was needed and there was work.

Still 1k for 4 hours work is a good situation, lol.
****! I must be in the wrong line of work haha!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeh PDR is what I use on most of my cars. They do a good job and it is much cheaper to have them come out and pull them then go to a body shop and have them do it. However I have run into a few instances where they can not get the dent out, like if it is on a body line or the roof is another one that they seem to have problems getting them out with dropping the headliner which is a pain in some cars. I would def. recommend PDR though.