Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

professional trackers out there...need help (picture story)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default professional trackers out there...need help (picture story)

well... i'm not a very experienced Track person...so when i get my timeslips..i dont know wut i'm reading. maybe u experienced track people can help me out on what i'm doing wrong. Let me start out w/ the history of my car first.

I posted about a month ago that i've been workin on a 93 DX hatchback. it came w/ gsr rear disc brakes...AC, power lock and windows. I dropped the JDM SIR II motor w/ the help of my friends.

So...after i thought the project was done...i decided to go to the track...thinking i would get high 14's....

i was wrong.

Mustang was next to me. i beat him in trap speed...but my launch was horrible...cause of these tires...

so i said..ok..that's fine. then i went out and bought a clutch and lightened flywheel...7.5

ok..so u would THINK i would do better.

launch was better, 1/4 time was a LIL better...but trap speed was worst. i dont get it

off the subject for a moment ..i dont know if my headers have anything to do w/ anything..but these were the only headers i had laying around...

i should also mention that my old 92 honda civic coupe completely stripped, blad tires...and LS motor came out yesterday too...and the person that bought it did 14.8..sorry no pics to prove this. but i did let him drive my car too....but he could only get mid 15's w/ my car.

ok..here are the questions. i'm running a p30 ecu..and for some reason..i feel a cut off at 7000 rpm at 4th gear. and wut is the exact rev limiter for p30s? i shifted at 8200 rpm thinking that was it. also...would putting on the light flywheel have affected my trap speed? cause i couldn't net higher than my first run before the clutch transformation. Also would i have done better balder tires? well...i think thats it....

any tips for my next visit at the track will greately be appreciated...thanks for looking...and reading.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: professional trackers out there...need help (krazn)

ok well you need to get some more practice your trap's should be yeilding you 14's but your 60 foot sucks, it just takes practice man.

ooo **** get that header off there with the quickness, that thing is WRECKED
Old 03-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: professional trackers out there...need help (slammed_93_hatch)

thanks for the quick reply...i wil get rid of the headers soon i hope
Old 03-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok well you need to get some more practice your trap's should be yeilding you 14's but your 60 foot sucks, it just takes practice man.

ooo **** get that header off there with the quickness, that thing is WRECKED</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea what he said...
Old 03-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahahah, i had a drink in my mouth, and it shot out my nose when i saw those headers....omfg get rid of those asap, if you have money to spend on FW and clutch, u can at least get a JDM DC 4-1...

Your 60ft still really sucks, work on that launch....You probly just made it a hell-of-a lot harder to launch now that you got a 7.5 pound FW.

Its mostly your driving though, practice makes perfect....

AGAIN, get rid of those headers, the stockers probly flow better then that
Old 03-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pretty much practice. Those headers have seen better days.

You're already close to 14's, just a bit more work on your trap and 60. I bet you could pull mid 14.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definantely try to lower your 60' times man.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:42 PM

wow, that header is fucked..
my header is dented but slightly, nothing like that..
Old 03-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pretty much practice. Those headers have seen better days.QUOTE]

[QUOTE=xerox445]hahahah, i had a drink in my mouth, and it shot out my nose when i saw those headers....omfg get rid of those asap, if you have money to spend on FW and clutch, u can at least get a JDM DC 4-1...</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by krazn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the quick reply...i wil get rid of the headers soon i hope</TD></TR></TABLE>

HOLLY **** gUYS ITS HEADER
Old 03-24-2004, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slammed_93_hatch)

practice makes perfect
Old 03-24-2004, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ur absolutely right... it is just Header w/o the S. sorry bout that.
and thanks for the replys guys. does my trap speed seem like my engine is in good shape? or compression test maybe?
Old 03-24-2004, 08:04 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Default Re: (krazn)

Get rid of that busted *** header. Hell, stock would be better.

Next, get rid of those 100k mile 10 year old tires.

After that, clip a 2.0 60' and run low-mid 14s and get back to us.

kthx.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by krazn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ur absolutely right... it is just Header w/o the S. sorry bout that.
and thanks for the replys guys. does my trap speed seem like my engine is in good shape? or compression test maybe?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya your trap seems good
Old 03-24-2004, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

common misconception: your car wont run good times FOR you, YOU have to be able to drive to get good times, drag racing is harder than you think.

That header is poop, get rid of it.

Those tires are poop, get rid of them, pick up some DR's or some slicks.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:19 PM

ok call me stupid but what is a "trap" yall keep talking about i'm a n00b and not afraid to admit it but i would like to learn a few of these things so when i race people in my 95 ford taurus i can know what i'm doin lol
Old 03-24-2004, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: professional trackers out there...need help (CorpalVirus)

trap speed = MPH you are at when you pass the finish line

E.T. = final time

60' = what determines if its giong to be a good or bad run (unless you miss a shift)
Old 03-24-2004, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its the speed at which you are traveling when you go threw a given point on a track
Old 03-24-2004, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CorpalVirus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok call me stupid but what is a "trap" yall keep talking about i'm a n00b and not afraid to admit it but i would like to learn a few of these things so when i race people in my 95 ford taurus i can know what i'm doin lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

WERD also a noob at the track
Old 03-24-2004, 09:07 PM

elevation would play a factor. is your motor strong? also the coupes are pretty heavy too. it just takes some practicing. also get some new rubber. check out vulcantire.com i got a set of azenis for 200 shipped.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:17 PM

Default Re: (JDMlifestyle)

Off with the Header.

THats a god awful light flywheel.

Chuck the rubber.

SEAT TIME.

Actually thats the fun part...if it was easy you'd be bored to tears.

Good Luck.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RangerDan)

thanks for the replys again. they are were very helpful...and i will definately check out the tire website. but....someone stated that lightened flywheel was not a good mod? and also...i still have questions w/ my p30 ecu. anyone know the exact rev limiter on this? and why i feel like i have a cut off at 7000 rpm in 4th? also...does anyone have a stock header for me laying around?

as for how strong is the engine...it feels like it pulls. but the kid who got 14.8 w/ the LS coupe...couldn';t get better times in my car...i dunno if he wasn't used to the clutch set up or wut.... there aren't any dyno testing here that i know of

ok..off to work now. thanks again for the help.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:23 AM
This user can set his title.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by krazn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but the kid who got 14.8 w/ the LS coupe...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey that was my old coupe Biotch!

Well, I'm not really a track person either but from what everyone is saying, your flywheel sucks.

Why is that? I thought the flywheel helps? I read in the R forum and most of those guys said they will never go back to stock and love their lightened fw.

Can someone explain this to me? Maybe power difference? I dunno...
Old 03-25-2004, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ki3t)

when using a lightened flywheel you lose mad torque( in an already torqueless motor). Lightened flywheels help out on top end horsepower but dont do anything for torque. Since you dont know how to read timeslips your reaction time is good but as far as your 60ft times try to get it down to 2.0.....To do that i would go with some better tires and try different rpms at launch considering you have a lightened f/w you may get away with a higher launch rpm.....your trap speed is ok but need to get to the 90's to get into the 14's.

wish i could find my old timeslips i have a 1.94 60ft. and a 8.73 1/8 and a 1/4 13.3 @ 104 mph.......havent raced at the track in almost a year so my slips are long gone...
Old 03-25-2004, 07:41 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>
ACTUALLY, its exhaust manifold.
X-eric-X
Old 03-25-2004, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90crxzcgasd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90crxzcgasd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when using a lightened flywheel you lose mad torque( in an already torqueless motor). Lightened flywheels help out on top end horsepower but dont do anything for torque. Since you dont know how to read timeslips your reaction time is good but as far as your 60ft times try to get it down to 2.0.....To do that i would go with some better tires and try different rpms at launch considering you have a lightened f/w you may get away with a higher launch rpm.....your trap speed is ok but need to get to the 90's to get into the 14's.

wish i could find my old timeslips i have a 1.94 60ft. and a 8.73 1/8 and a 1/4 13.3 @ 104 mph.......havent raced at the track in almost a year so my slips are long gone...</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the info man. i was informed that i would lose torque...but i didn't consider how much. my trap speed was considerably lower on the second time slip..now i know its probably the flywheel. it went from close to 93 mph..to barely 92 mph.

ur times are great....wut was ur set up?

about the launch thing. the first time slip was at 3000 rpm...the second one was at 4000 rpm. wut would u recommend?

Quick Reply: professional trackers out there...need help (picture story)