Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Probs with 94 Del Sol Auto tranny M24A me thinks

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probs with 94 Del Sol Auto tranny M24A me thinks

Am new to del sol's and hondas, and I just want a commuter car that is abit more fun and gets better gas mileage.

Found and picked up a 94 SI with a sohc vtech in it.

I did notice a slight lurch from 1 to 2nd, and I dont drive em wild or heavy.

Car has 100k on it

I think the trans (automatic) is an M24A

Next problem after it sat a few days (in the cold) I noticed it would not shift out of 1st for a spell, had to warm it up.

Drove on/off a few days testing the car getting used to it, fixing minor crap

While enroute home, I lost all power from the trans. only way I could get it to work for a short bit was to kill the engine and wait abit, longer I waited further I could go.

Me thinks the screen filter inside is plugged. Dont have a service manual yet (they are on the way)

What's my best options, locally I can buy a used trans miles unknown 350.00

pull my trans and get it rebuilt by a shop for 900, or pay em 1500 to do the pull/fix/install

No I don't want to go manual, not on a daily driver

Any help would be appreaciated

Also, I will be looking for a red stock hood, front clip or bumper from someone whos' mod'd theirs and does not want the stock items, also need a drivers side light assy, mine had a little bam in the front and the light has some broken tabs. Been watching ebay, but mostly see tuner light setups vs stocker's.

you can also email me at junglejoe@wi.rr.com

Thanks !

James
Old 01-28-2006, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Probs with 94 Del Sol Auto tranny M24A me thinks (JungleJoe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JungleJoe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Next problem after it sat a few days (in the cold) I noticed it would not shift out of 1st for a spell, had to warm it up.

What's my best options, locally I can buy a used trans miles unknown 350.00

pull my trans and get it rebuilt by a shop for 900, or pay em 1500 to do the pull/fix/install

</TD></TR></TABLE>

what's wrong with letting your car warm up? that's a good thing.

your WORST option is to buy a used auto tranny for 350 and even WORSE is paying them 900 or 1500. you can do all the work yourself in a matter of hours and maybe with around $200 worth of tools if you dont have them already
Old 01-28-2006, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Probs with 94 Del Sol Auto tranny M24A me thinks (jerbear!)

I dont know if I have the tools, I have the basic stuff, my father in law has more than I, but time is an issue also. If someone local here would be able to assist that'd be a help. Since my manuals are not expected to arrive till next week, also I have only one site I've seen that sells the internals, but it's like 250.00 and then they have a guide also.

How hard is it to drop the trans ??? do I need a lift ? do I have to drop the engine ?

rebuilding.... I dunno, I can follow instructions, but I know there are special tools for some of the seals and I dont have any of those. I'd LOVE to find someone who switched to manual and has a good auto they'd sell me for a decent price.

Wife is pissed, buy her a car and now it sits... sigh.

James
Old 01-28-2006, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Probs with 94 Del Sol Auto tranny M24A me thinks (JungleJoe)

Well, ive been a lurker for many moons now, but your post caused me to finally bite the bullet and register. (im a reg on the "other board")

I feel your pain man, about october my civic coupe went through the same stuff, same engine and trans as your SOL.

You are very likely correct about the screen being plugged, since it wont move again for a lil while. The first thing you must ask yourself is: WHY IS IT PLUGGED?

The unfortunate answer is something came apart inside the trans.
What you should do first and foremost is dran the trans into something that you can look at the fluid.

Cut the wheels hard to the right, since the drain bolt in under the right front and can be viewed from the wheel well.

Take a bare 3/8 ratchet(no socket) and insert it into the square hole in the bolt and loosen to drain, making sure to have a nice dran pan underneath.

Now my bolt was magnetic and had tons of metal particles stuck to it.
LOOK FOR METAL BITS!
my clutch packs disentegrated and had a party inside the trans.

I found a used tranny via ebay, and just put it in myself, took me three weeks of dicking around w/repair shops wanting 2000 for a rebuilt one or 1400 to rebuild mine.

i got one from a dude i met on ebay who was a few miles up the road.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. Nobody wants an automatic! So they really cheap used, Dont pay 800 buks for one!!!!

2. Ebay is ya friend! find one nearby for a couple hundered.

3. All civics 92-95 and Sols used the m24 Same gearing for dx-cx-ex!

4. Get a good jack! and some jackstands

ive gatta go do some stuff but will finish this later

Good luck dude!
Old 01-29-2006, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Probs with 94 Del Sol Auto tranny M24A me thinks (camilla_red_ex)

Yeah, I am thinking the clutch packs are disintigrating and thus my tranny is full of junk. How are those Japanese imported tranny's for a replacement ??? and do I have to drop the engine to do that ???