Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

problems starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with starter?

Sup, have a b16-T for the most part, started the car a few days ago just to move it across a parking lot. Car started fine like always but had trouble and seemed like it was struggling. opening the throttle seemed to help it stay on but it had a good deal of sputtering. car died when i let go of the throttle and i figured it might be because the motor was too cold (was around -10 degrees out .. live in rochester ny right now ) in anycase.. i paid it no mind because the car has behaved this way sometimes before and once it warms up it runs fine. however i tried to start it and the motor yesterday and it wont even catch.

motor turns over and fuel relay has all its clicks. thought maybe i flooded the engine and fouled the plugs? duno ill try changing them but this morning when i tried to start the motor it seemed the same except after a few seconds the starter began to make a different noise.. normally it has the pulsating vrr vrr vrr vrr vrm... but this time it was just a vrrrrrrrrrr. not battery i dont think because im still getting 12 volts when the motors off. any ideas? starter going?

Modified by w0ng_sta at 11:00 AM 1/29/2007
Old 01-29-2007, 02:50 AM

Default Re: problems starting (w0ng_sta)

bump for help
Old 01-29-2007, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the car is un-tuned.

It will have a hard time starting in that weather also.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:54 AM

Default Re: problems starting (mike1114)

car was tuned in this weather.. maybe a little warmer but not by much.. and ive had no problems starting anytime recently and the weather has been pretty consistantly cold.. but that doesnt explain the starter. im just curious about the noise change of the starter
Old 01-29-2007, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't want to jack but have had trouble starting our stock '99 EX past couple days. Granted it has been bellow zero up here. But it has 5W-30 oil and 70% antifreeze 30% distilled water and new stat.

When you start it in the am it cranks slow then then once it starts the starter makes a funney noise for a second like it is not disingaging!

Had the battery and charging system checked a few months back and they said it was OK??

Just put new plugs in it also and replaced fuel filter and has dry gass and full tank!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: problems starting (shortlid)

ok sorry i was pissed... but that problem i believe is listed many times ..search "starter noise"..

in anycase.. anybody know about the problem that IM experiencing?

Modified by w0ng_sta at 1:28 PM 1/30/2007
Old 01-31-2007, 12:40 PM

bump please
Old 02-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Am I corect in assuming that the noisefrom teh starter is from a HONDA battery that is under powered at cold temp to start the car 500 CCA. Should I replace it with a 590 CCA battery from Costco? Even though the battery checked out OK with the Autozone test?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: problems starting (shortlid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shortlid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Am I corect in assuming that the noisefrom teh starter is from a HONDA battery that is under powered at cold temp to start the car 500 CCA. Should I replace it with a 590 CCA battery from Costco? Even though the battery checked out OK with the Autozone test?</TD></TR></TABLE>
If the starter isn't disengaging because of the temperature, if you replace the battery, the starter is still going to pull back from the flywheel at the same rate as before. A new battery may help the engine start faster, but the starter would still do exactly the same thing as it was doing.

BTW, my little half battery is rated for around 400CCA, if not a little under. The largest CCA I've seen in the stock form factor is 495, and last time I had to replace mine that model was sold out across the dozen or stores in the area.

w0ng_sta, sorry, can't help out much. If you can get it somewhere warm you might want to verify you've still got spark on all plugs, since it's not varying in tempo it could be that the starter is turning it over w/o any help from the engine, which could mean no spark, no fuel, as you said the plugs might've gotten fouled, or something down this path.

Cold like this makes it hard to diagnose, not to mention sometimes just pushing the car into a heated garage and letting it sit for a few hours band-aids whatever it was.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problems starting (MonkeyBoy668)

http://www.autobatteries.com/ lists a Kirkland 590 CCA 51R battery for our cars! But it soulds like from your post that alot of Honda starters have this issue in real cold temps! I may just get the battery to help the engine spin faster on cold start-up.