Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

problems with boosted del sol

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with boosted del sol

i just put a used turbo on a 94 del sol si with a b16a motor swap. the car runs great and pulls real hard, only problem is it smokes something fierce! i took off the down pipe and there was a little bit of oil in the down pipe but not a lot. everyone i asked about this told me chances are the seals are bad in the turbo. but i have been told before that it could possibly be that my oil feed lines are too big. any thoughts on this matter would greatly be appreciated. also if the seals are bad on the exhaust side only how bad of an idea would it be to have had the turbo on the motor for awhile already? what exactly would the seal being bad do to the turbo or the motor, or will it just smoke a lot?
thanks
Old 09-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: problems with boosted del sol (sir2sol)

what size it the oil feed line and fitting? -4AN is common. i doubt that your getting too much oil... on the other hand how does your oil return look? any links? what size it the oil return.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:21 PM

Default Re: problems with boosted del sol (kabaroo)

my oil feed line is about 1/8" and my oil return line is about 5/8". i just got done trying to "tune" this beast and i took of the down pipe while it was running and there was clearly oil coming through the fins of the exhaust side. however i took off the charge pipes and there was no oil in those anywhere. so i'm thinking the seal has gone bad on the exhaust side only.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problems with boosted del sol (sir2sol)

Your car will smoke like a SOB, trust me one of my friends had me put a turbo on his car will blown seals and that **** looked like it had caught on fire, hahahahaha... His seal were most likely worse than your though. Do yourself a big favor and pull the turbo and replace the seals, you'll thank me for it later.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:36 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problems with boosted del sol (UNDER PRESSURE)

got any shaft play? it sounds like blown seals. what turbo is it?
Old 09-17-2004, 02:19 PM

Default Re: problems with boosted del sol (ABK)

i went today and had the exhaust hooked up today and the smoking completely stopped, after having it hooked up i noticed that some of the smoke was coming from a bad gasket on the turbo feed line. after i fixed that.... no smoke. i do how ever want to have this turbo rebuilt soon due to the fact that it is used. the turbo is a IHI turbo off an old subaru legacy. it doesn't have a lot of shaft play but does have some (surprise-the turbos like 20 years old). but it still spools really fast so i think i want to keep it. does anyone know where i could send this thing to get it rebuilt, or should i just invest in another turbo?