Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Possible Clutch Issue...98 Civic DX Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Clutch Issue...98 Civic DX Sedan

Ok, yesterday a friend of mine and I replaced the Slave and Clutch Master Cylinder. Everything went smooth and I thought a little too smoothly. I removed all lines and made sure that all the lines were blown out and free of all debris. Reassembled everything and bled the system until nothing but clear DOT 3 fluid was coming out. After all those steps, I am still having issues getting it into 1st and Reverse when the car is at a dead stand still. It mostly happens when the car is Cold and not completely warmed up. While driving it is fine, nice and smooth in every gear...that is until I need to put the car in reverse. Come to a stop and take my foot off the clutch, push the clutch back in and then it goes in...but not without a little fight. We inspected the clutch fork when we removed the Slave, and it checked out fine. When we removed the Slave, it came off in 2 peices. I dont know if the Clutch its self is bad, or if the Transmission is bad. Could it possible be the linkage? I need some direction on this, is there a step that I may have missed? Some input would be greatly appreciated on this.

Sorry, and the Master was leaking and the Slave was a little damp. I lost all preasure in my clutch about 3 weeks ago, I have a lot of preasure in my clutch now...I mean a lot! I dont know if driving it that way may have damaged something or not. Just wanted to see what you guys think about this.

Also, I had the Transmission Oil replaced right after at a shop. Replaced with Genuine Honda MTF that was purchased at my local Honda Dealership.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible Clutch Issue...98 Civic DX Sedan

really, 87 views and no one has any idea what this may be!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have done a lot of reading on this, and I am looking at 3 things.

1. Clutch/Flywheel
2. Possible bent or cracked fork
3. Shift Linkage

I am guessing since my gears actually shift smooth as crap while driving, it rulls out the Transmission...at least thats what im told. Does this sound about right?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay boss,

1. If your clutch seems to work fine shifting while the car is moving and you have no unusual noise, the problem is probably not your clutch. Nor is it likely the supporting systems (Master, Slave, Hose, Hard Tubing, Fork, Release Bearing)

2. It is normal to have to press the clutch a time or two, wait a couple seconds, and gently select reverse. Reverse has no synchro, so it is a bit harder to engage.

3. The lubricant in the transmission may be incorrect. You didn't mention the YEAR or MAKE or TRIM of your vehicle, but my Civic for example takes 10w-40 motor oil, not gear oil or ATF like other manual transmissions. Problems shifting can sometimes be attributed to this. I use Royal Purple 10w40 High Pressure in mine, and it is noticeably smoother, especially cold.

4. The synchros in the transmission sound like they are a bit worn. The better lubricant will help with this but not solve it. Eventually you will want them replaced or to throw a low miles Japanese trans in there.

So give us some detail on your car and maybe it's one of those things.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, the title of the thread states the type of vehicle. Just for the sake of people that dont pay attention to detail, I will restate it...it is a 98 honda civic dx sedan.

Honda recommended Honda MTF which I used (Also stated). I dont know, I may throw a Japanese Tranny in there when I get everything else taken care of. It is not causing the car not to drive, just more of a pain in the rear.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It could be that your being none-to-friendly has a lot to do with nobody wanting to help you.
I certainly don't want to any longer.

Only hack mechanics throw parts at cars without diagnosing them first. Have fun!

Last edited by stateofjustin; 01-30-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

It only makes good sense to be respectful to people from whom you seek help.

Have you adjusted the clutch pedal height to spec as detailed in the service manual?

You mentioned that the MTF was recently replaced. Has this service been done regularly? Have you checked whether the transmission is properly topped off with MTF?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do not know what happened to me yesterday, just irritated that this thing is still not right. I appolagize to anyone that I upset.

Anyways, I just purchased the vehicle about a month and a half ago. I have no idea the service record on the transmission. I know when we drained the MTF that it was pretty clean...little burnt smelling, but clean. The oil is fresh so the oil change was done by the dealer. It is a sound engine other than the exhaust manifold, rack and pinion, upper control arms, and the outer tie rod ends...they are all shot! I am thinking that I need to rebleed the system. I talked to a lot of my friends that have Civic's, and they tell me that it sounds like I did not bleed it enough...only used maybe half a quart of brake fluid.

Does this sound about right, it bled clear and full...no air came out.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Apology accepted. Just because the change was done by the dealer doesn't always mean
you can accept that and just move on. It's smart to double check because even the
dealership makes mistakes.

There is very little brake fluid in the clutch master/slave cylinder system. As long as
you bled to clean fluid with no air, and you didn't have the bleeder screw too far open
(which might draw air back in) I doubt that is the problem.

Plus, as I said before, you said it shifts fine while you are driving it... it would never shift
properly if your lines weren't bled in full.

Focus on the characteristics of the noise... change when the clutch is in or out?
Get louder when you shift down into a higher RPM range? Or is the noise a constant
level that is just there or not and doesn't go up or down in pitch. What type of noise is it?

We need more specifics to help you.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, i listened to the car the whole way home after work yesterday. from what i could hear, the tranny has no sounds in any gear. i hear is the loud manifold and the front end knocking around between braking and changing gears, but that is really about it. other than that, everything else sounds good...nothing out of the ordinary. do you think that the front end being messed up is contributing to it not shifting right? maybe a bad engine or tranny mount? linkage?

i am going to take it to the transmission shop close to the house and see if there is something that they can figure out. they do not charge anything to look at it and test drive it. hopefully, its something small and not major. i could barely afford to get the master and slave cylinder, much less a damn transmission or clutch job.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Always listen to RonJ@HT, he knows his stuff.

Adjust the clutch pedal height using the procedure in the Hayes manual, proceed from there.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

will have to look that up, i adjusted it when i put it in. but i have heard that the clutch positioning sensor could be off. just have not had time to get back under the car with work and the baby.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dazebreak
Always listen to RonJ@HT, he knows his stuff.

Adjust the clutch pedal height using the procedure in the Hayes manual, proceed from there.
Sorry, I meant HELMS manual, not HAYES! I get turned around sometimes.