Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ported polished head, stamped by JG Engine Dynamics - pass BAR/smog?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ported polished head, stamped by JG Engine Dynamics - pass BAR/smog?

So, I read on here that you should be able to pass smog with a ported and polished head, but I'm wondering if the head has stamps all over it by the shop that did the work (in this case, JG Engine Dynamics), is that going to freak out the REF when I to to BAR the motor swap? Or am I going to have to go back to a stock head that shows no sign of being tampered with?

fm
Old 12-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ported polished head, stamped by JG Engine Dynamics - pass BAR/smog?

Also, I read that some smog techs will have an issue with aftermarket cam gears, or the lack of the timing belt covers...is this the case?

fm
Old 12-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ported polished head, stamped by JG Engine Dynamics - pass BAR/smog?

Anyone?
Old 12-18-2009, 09:20 AM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt
Old 12-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Youll need a timing belt cover. Adjustable cam gears are illegal. You can try and hide it behind a cam gear cover, Ive never had them pull my valve cover to check anyways and my timing was set 0,0. A stamped head doesnt neccessarily raise flags, just explain you had the head rebuilt to factory specs and leave out the port and polish details.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by whoa its len 2
Youll need a timing belt cover. Adjustable cam gears are illegal. You can try and hide it behind a cam gear cover, Ive never had them pull my valve cover to check anyways and my timing was set 0,0. A stamped head doesnt neccessarily raise flags, just explain you had the head rebuilt to factory specs and leave out the port and polish details.
so then with a port and polish job your car will not pass smog?
Old 06-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

aftermarket cam gears will fail
timing covers are not necessary but since u have aftermarket cam gears you would want to hide them with a timing cover
Old 06-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old post of mine brought back from the dead. I ended up installing that motor as is in my hatch and getting it BAR'd. I went back to stock cams/gears for the BAR. Since then, I put cams and S2 gears, but I haven't taken it to smog yet. I think it will pass as I am only required to do the two-speed idle test rather than the dyno test. I guess I'll know for sure in 2 years.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i ask because i'm putting together a H22 swap for my wagon, i just wanted to know what type of work/upgrades could i do while i'm sending these parts in to the shop and still keep it CA smog legal.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Technically, any kind of modifications made to your head is not legal, but it's not likely to be known by the smog tech. Whether or not a ported head will alter your emissions in a bad way remains to be seen. My shop thinks not. Even my stage 2 cams may pass muster since the primaries aren't much bigger than stock. High comp pistons may fail NOX if you live in an "enhanced" smog area (where they do your testing on a dyno). Luckily I live in a basic area where I only have to do a two speed idle test.

fm
Old 06-29-2010, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What's a two speed idle test
Old 06-29-2010, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A two-speed-idle test, or TSI, is a tailpipe sniffer test that smog stations do for residents of "basic smog" areas (areas that don't have enough cars to produce objectionable amount of emissions). Some counties, which have a large populations, are considered "enhanced smog areas", thus require the residents to do their smog tests on a dyno. They put a load on the car while it does the tailpipe test, which does a better job of simulating real-world driving conditions. They also test for NOX, which builds w/high comp pistons are likely to fail. Obviously, this test is less forgiving than the TSI test, which only requires you to run the test at 2 speeds with no load on the engine (idle and 2500 RPM...thus "two speed idle"). Additionally, the TSI doesn't test NOX.

fm