Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

plz help asap

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter problem?

ok, i dont know much about honda's or cars in general, but im trying to learn. my motor is a d16z6. last night i go to start my car and all i get is clicking, so i go get my brother and we're thinking its the starter, so he keeps tapping what we think is the starter, and after 5-10 mins it starts.

Anyone know what that could be? i started up fine the next morning

Also, is the starter on the passenger side right under a rad hose?

Modified by disposable at 1:07 PM 4/7/2005

i changed it to say starter problem but it still says the same thing

Modified by disposable at 1:19 PM 4/7/2005
Old 04-07-2005, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

first of all welcome to HT, im in lively and theres another here too from there..
if you turn off your car again, will it start up again??
Old 04-07-2005, 06:22 AM

Welcome..well it could be alot of things. Check your battery terminal to see if its corroded. Check all of the wirring on the starter and make sure they are not loose. yes the starter is on the passenger side, connected to the tranny.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: plz help asap (disposable)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by disposable &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, i dont know much about honda's or cars in general, but im trying to learn. my motor is a d16z6. last night i go to start my car and all i get is clicking, so i go get my brother and we're thinking its the starter, so he keeps tapping what we think is the starter, and after 5-10 mins it starts.

Anyone know what that could be? i started up fine the next morning

Also, is the starter on the passenger side right under a rad hose?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It sounds like you had a weak battery...

Starter is located on the upper portion of the transmission near the transmission mount. Looks like this:

Also try to read the ***NEW Forum Rules and Guidelines 2/24/05 - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!*** https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=990205

Category 2 (Includes written warning from moderator, and editing/locking of thread or post in question):
NOTE: Any repeat violation of a Category 2 rule will warrant an automatic 2% deduction from your user rating.

2.A. Please do not post misleading or unspecific thread titles. Please don’t post “Help Needed” or “Look at this problem.” Make your thread titles specific to the question you are asking.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: plz help asap (DELSOLEMITE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DELSOLEMITE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It sounds like you had a weak battery...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what it sounds like to me too...

If your battery is really weak, sometimes it won't have enough power to crank the starter and just cause it to click instead...

If this is the case, try jump starting it and if it starts right away, then it's your battery or possibly your alternators fault for not charging the battery enough... if it still clicks when you try to jump start it, then it's your starter...

Sounds to me like it was your battery. You might want to get it checked as well as your alternator so you don't end up with the same problem in the future...
Old 04-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: plz help asap (EJ1 wilcox)

wtf^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

he said after 5 to 10 minutes of tapping on the starter while trying to get it to start it started, so how could it be a weak battery? If the battery wasn't strong enough to turn it over to begin with then why after 5 to 10 minutes of trying to get it to start (which would further discharge the battery) does it start?

I'd bet that your starter is going, common debug to get it to start is to tap on the starter, usually lightly with a hammer. If it continues to happen replace it.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id say the starter
Old 04-07-2005, 09:47 AM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

Default Re: (duggy)

Ya sounds like weak battery, that happened to me before
Old 04-07-2005, 09:58 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: plz help asap (sidesi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sidesi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'd bet that your starter is going, common debug to get it to start is to tap on the starter, usually lightly with a hammer. If it continues to happen replace it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Having to tap on it is definitely a sign of a starter problem. Check your battery voltage with a multimeter. If it reads normal (10-12 volts while off), it's probably not the battery. Have your brother try and crank it, and if the clicking occurs again, and the voltage drops significantly (1-3 volts) you probably have a starter problem. Hope this helps, and welcome to H-T.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:11 AM

check ur battery terminals.. if they arent on tight enough, the contact wont be there which would keep it from starting..

if everything else is working tho, lights, radio, ect. then probably not the battery

just something to check
Old 04-07-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: (RaYnE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RaYnE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first of all welcome to HT, im in lively and theres another here too from there..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, im the other guy, lol.. im lemsters friend that drives the white civic..
anyways, it sounds like its most likely the starter, but like other people said, try to jump start it or maybe charge up the battery and try it again when its charged, that will rule out the battery being bad.
but if you have to tap on it with a hammer then its most likely your starter going..
Old 04-07-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: (Hcivic88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hcivic88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah, im the other guy, lol.. im lemsters friend that drives the white civic..
anyways, it sounds like its most likely the starter, but like other people said, try to jump start it or maybe charge up the battery and try it again when its charged, that will rule out the battery being bad.
but if you have to tap on it with a hammer then its most likely your starter going..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea... took 5-10 mins, then it started.. i know my positive battery cable isnt tight, but when it isnt sitting properly i dont get NO power at all which doesnt happen very often. I got lots of juice in the battery.. its not that old..

For the people who wanna know, battery terminals are clean, everything in there is clean. i just got the engine bay shampoo'd.

i got a look at the starter today, and its rusted.

Anyway, Hcivic88 are you the one that works at napa? if so wanna give me a deal I'm the one in teal EG workin at the kwik way lol brians brothers friend
Old 04-07-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: (disposable)

hey
yeah, im the guy that works at napa, lol
and if u know your positive battery cable isnt tight, then u should probably tighten it, cause that may cause a problem.
so is the car starting fine everytime now? or is it still giving ya trouble? If you're looking for a starter.. I might be able to give ya a used one that i have, ill have to find out which one I have to use for my swap..
good luck

Modified by Hcivic88 at 6:27 PM 4/7/2005
Old 04-08-2005, 10:53 AM

Well.... I went to crappy tire this morning and got them to do some tests... Battery / Starter / Alternator passed. positive cable was broken. hopefully that was the only problem
Old 04-08-2005, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (disposable)

clicking is main relay a lot of te time
Old 04-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not sure, but would a faulty ground have anything to do with this??
*BTW* i was the white DA integra goin around lowered on HX's but i just sold it..