Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Plugs won't fire

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 06:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugs won't fire

Okay, I had no idea to search for this, so I'm sorry if this was already covered (I bet it has). Did a complete overhaul on my D15B7, ripped everything out, cleaned it, new gaskets, the whole deal. Lined up the cams, did the TDC and everything. The wiring was all hooked up with the harness, etc. Now my problem: none of the plugs will fire, and I KNOW the distributor has power, the rotor inside spins. A few buddies have told me, " check the rotor itself to see if its putting off power to the probes inside" or something of the like. Also "if you timing is off, none of the plugs will fire, so you have to make sure everything is set before you try turning over the car." I thought the dizzy didn't matter, becuase the plugs would just fire out of sequence. I litterally took them out of the cylinder and freefloated them to see any spark. Nothing. Any ideas? I'll have to get around to checking the fuel pump and that ordeal, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with the initial plugs firing.

Lots to read, so I'm sorry, but thanks so much for the help,
Jim
Old 12-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Plugs won't fire (CoolJimWhy)

Check the ground wire that bolts to the thermostat housing.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ignitor in the distributor could be bad they sometimes go bad for no reason.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:28 AM

Could be a lot of things. I'd check the cam sensor, crank sensor, and ignition coil to start. Just because the rotor is spinning doesn't mean the distributor has electrical power or is getting the necessary signals from the PCM, that just means the camshaft is turning. ALso, if you just stick a plug in a wire and let it hang it won't spark...you have to ground the plug. As was mentioned before, check all the ground connections to the block and head.

If the timing is off, the plugs will fire out of order. Incorrect timing alone won't cause a no-spark condition.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:12 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Plugs won't fire (anony95ex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by anony95ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could be a lot of things. I'd check the cam sensor, crank sensor, and ignition coil to start. Just because the rotor is spinning doesn't mean the distributor has electrical power or is getting the necessary signals from the PCM, that just means the camshaft is turning. ALso, if you just stick a plug in a wire and let it hang it won't spark...you have to ground the plug. As was mentioned before, check all the ground connections to the block and head.

If the timing is off, the plugs will fire out of order. Incorrect timing alone won't cause a no-spark condition.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Perfect, thanks a bunch. I'll check em out and see what goes down.