Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

pls help me with my hatch

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pls help me with my hatch

Hello every1...i recently bought a 94dx........and thinking about turbo.....i really have no idea what to do....i dont know anything about my car....i tried the search and already got alot of info but got in trouble here at work for printing out more than 160 pages of ht stuff haha.....pls pls ht people help me out....
-whats the difference bet a d16z6 and d16y8....? which motor is best to boost....?
-what turbo kit should i get....?
-will it cost alot of money to boost a single cam motor....? how much will it run to build the single cam motor....?
-VERY IMPORTANT....what kit can i get for the car...? I WANT TO KEEP MY AC...

im looking to run at least 14's or possibly 13's with a fully built single cam turbo. is this possible.....? pls pls pls help me out guys......thanks in advance to those that will reply.....

Old 05-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pls help me with my hatch (GokuSs4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GokuSs4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
-whats the difference bet a d16z6 and d16y8....? which motor is best to boost....?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

D16Z6 came in 92-95 Civic EX's and SI's. D16Y8 came in 96-00 Civic EX's and 96-97 Del Sol Si's.

Differences include the Z6 is OBD1 and Y8's are OBDII, so the Z6 would be easier to boost. The ECU is more adaptable. Minor differences in head and intake manifold flow, but still disputable.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GokuSs4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
-what turbo kit should i get....?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would get the Greddy kit if I were you. You seem to be very new to the idea, and the kit would be better I think. You could go homemade turbo, but you have to know what you're doing most of the time, and it can be tricky.

-will it cost alot of money to boost a single cam motor....? how much will it run to build the single cam motor....?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can find used kits for $800-$1400, roughly, or a new one for around $1800-$2000. You will need other things likely, gauges, tuning, some type of fuel management (Uberdata, Hondata, etc) which will add to the cost very fast. For building the engine, you could spend as little as $500 upwards of thousands.

-VERY IMPORTANT....what kit can i get for the car...? I WANT TO KEEP MY AC...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Greddy kit, see above.

im looking to run at least 14's or possibly 13's with a fully built single cam turbo. is this possible.....? </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is easily done, just takes patience and a good tune. Don't forget the tune.

I might have left something out, but go over to the forced induction forum and peruse around there for awhile.

Good luck.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pls help me with my hatch (******)

Well stated. Also Just to add. To save on money you can do a mini-me sdetup and boost that. Also i built my turbo setup so far its at like 1200, and thats a Homemade kit. non ac. But im getting a mani made so i can have my ac back.The mani and the DP are what would determine you keeping your ac or not. Getting into the 14's 13's is very simple, once you go turbo. just keep this in mind, smaller turbo will be quicker, bigger turbo will be faster. Smaller turbo needs to run more boost to make the same power as a big turbo.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: pls help me with my hatch (******)

omg thanks so much for replying.....very useful info....thanks so much.....i've read about those home made turbo kits, i've even printed some info from homemadeturbo.com, but i probably wont go that route, i dont have any clue which stuff to get, ive read about turbo sizes, some trim things, and i got lost....so most likely bet is that greddy kit you guys recommended.....i really appreciate all the help guys......

-i also read some stuff regarding ecu's "hack" what exactly is that.....?
-the d16z6 i plan to do the swap, will i be able to run boost with stock internals for a while...? with proper tuning, will i able to run this car daily for a while....like months or possibly 1-2 years.....? or should i just build the bottom end when i get the swap.....

thanks so much guys, sorry about all the questions, i really want to this right and not waste my money......thanks again....
Old 05-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pls help me with my hatch (GokuSs4)

ECU hack refers more to fooling the ECU into thinking everything is ok. In a way this is similar to using Uberdata/Hondata, but not really. A hack would be using a VAFC, Greddy blue box, something similar that just adds more fuel, changes A/F ratio, etc. Using Uberdata makes the ECU think that what it's seeing is acceptable. Besides, you have more versatility with programming timing maps, fuel maps, and the like. At the end of the day, it's much safer and you will net more power by using a management program such as Uberdata, etc.

With proper tuning you can run stock internals so long as everything is in good shape. Rings, pistons, etc. Do a leakdown and compression test before boosting if you're concerned about it to check the quality of the parts internally. Consensus seems to be that the Z6 could handle around 200 hp safely as a daily warrior. Make sure you get a good tune, take your time, and the more involved you are the more you will understand things and be able to fix them if something happens. Having a turbo car as a daily driver is more than likely not going to be the most reliable meaning things will go wrong from time to time, even if they are small. But several people have turbo daily drivers with 0 issues at all.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Trial User

i would probably suggest not boosting your car if your not familiar with it. i would suggest a b series swap, it will be a reliable daily driver you dont have to worry about ac and you will run 14's and depending on your set up maybe 13's good luck on whatever you do and thats my 2 cents
Old 05-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spoolinhardyO)

Boost it. If you're not familiar with it now, how else are you ever going to get familiar with it other than do it? Don't do the common B-series swap, boost is addictive, much better than a B-series swap, besides, you'll be much quicker.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (******)

ya its addictive an constantly wearing your motor if not know how to properly tune your care or keep up the maintence.
single cam w/greddy turbo
bseries swap

its still your choice research and learn your car have fun see ya
Old 05-17-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Re: (spoolinhardyO)

thanks again guys.....i'll post up some more questions as soon as i start gathering up the parts.....thanks again for all the help, i really appreciate it.....