Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

desperately need help! OVERHEATING 99 civic si

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default desperately need help! OVERHEATING 99 civic si

sup guys I hope you guys can help me out im in desperate measure. First, my car was leaking fuel through the fuel rail so i replace it with golden eagle fuel rail. after working on it for a couple of hours I finally finish. Then i drove for about 10 minure park the car and then my friend came home to check the car so i turn it on after 5 minutes later it overheat like crazy. So tonight me and my other friend remove the thermostat (by the way is it better to have a thermostat or not to have one). It is still overheating , we couldn't find the light tester so we used two wires to see if the fan is working. The Fan work but IT WILL NOT TURN ON!!!!!. My motor reached so closed to the letter H and the fan is still not turn ON!!! It's not the waterpump we check it already. The only thing left to do is to check the power of the fuse (tomorrow after i buy the light tester). Has anyone have the same problem as me.... and figure out the problem share the answer cuhz i've been letting my mumma drop be off at work for a week already. I NEED MY CAR TO RUN. thanks in advance

-take out thermostat - thermostat is fine - planning to run car without it though
-check water pump - work
-FAN doesn't turn on- checked fan and it work but will not turn on (no matter the temp)
-Fuse test- tomorrow i will test fuse

recently replace fuel rail ... could this cause the car to overheat also?
what to do? what to do? what to do? need to get to wooooooooork!
Old 05-15-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: desperately need help! OVERHEATING 99 civic si (Mr si99)

fan relay. common problem, possible solution would be to replace it. Or, hardwire the fan so it stays on, run the car for 10-15 minutes or until it overheats. If it doesnt over heat, replace fan relay/fuse. If it still overheats with fan on, put coolant in it... and put your thermostat back in.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Re: desperately need help! OVERHEATING 99 civic si (ARIZONA)

When I did my swap I had to change out the fan switch. Usually if the fan works but isn't turning on when the car heats up your sensor is bad. Good luck getting her working.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:03 PM

Default Re: desperately need help! OVERHEATING 99 civic si (grlracer97)

I dont know if the heats up sensor is bad or not .... but most likely not because my motor wasn't swap i have an original motor that come with the civic si. Also I did the fuse test all my fuse work. but my car is still overheating and the fan is not turning on. The car is 1999 civic si with aproximately 95,000 miles on it.

Fan work but dont turn on
Fuse check and all of them work
Water pump work
Thermostat remove (planning to run without it)
Sensor never had any problem with it before so I dont think the problem is with the sensor though i can be wrong ..... ( correct me if im wrong)

Anyone give your thoughts and expertise on this over heating issue. I need mah carrr needa go to work!!!

one more thing im planning to disconnect the radiator fan sensor (if the fan still doesn't turn on) and the cruise control sensor and run it direct through the cruise control so it won't overheat. So im wondering if i get the fan to run on auto can i also put a kill switch to turn on the fan on cruise control without a problem?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: desperately need help! OVERHEATING 99 civic si (Mr si99)

Switch can go bad without swapping motors. Do a search to see if any posts help.
Here is one.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1087477
Old 05-17-2005, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: desperately need help! OVERHEATING 99 civic si (grlracer97)

I had the same prob with my si. I just replaced the fan sensor which is located on the thermo housing. Now my fan kicks on...Honda sells it for like 35 bucks