Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Please help. Need immediate assistance. Car is not good..

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help. Need immediate assistance. Car is not good..

I was driving on the freeway tonight. I was going pretty fast because the road was wide open and it was late. I wanted to get home as soon as I could. All of a sudden, I feel as if there's a hessitation. Somewhat of a lag or the speed governor thing taking over. I had the gas down all the way to keep it from slowing down even more, but that didn't help. It just kept slowing down. I could't accelerate if I wanted to. So, I get off the freeway offramp and right when I let go of the gas, the car dies. Luckily, the offramp was a steep downslope so I was able to coast to a driveway. I saw my temperarture gauge and noticed it was climbing up towards the H and when I glanced at it again, it was well indeed past H..And my oil light was on.
I got out of the car and noticed my cam seal. Since it was leaking before, I assume that that was the cause of it. I checked my dip stick and there was VERY little oil. Thank God for my friend though. He was able to help me out with a few things. I let the car sit there for about 5-10 minutes and then I started her up and she was running agian but I noticed this LOUD pinging noise from the motor. I thought it was because there was no oil in there. So we went to the nearest gas station and bought some oil. Keep in mind, while I was going, it felt really hessitant. The harder I stepped on it, the slower it lagged. As if I was misfiring in a cylinder, but I'm not sure. I got to the gas station and bought 4 quarts of oil. I put all of it in and started her up. Idle sounded perfect, but once the RPMs got high, it woudl make that nasty sound as if two metal objects were clicking against each other. I managed to drive it home but I watned to see what the reaction of the car was if I drove it normal. So I gave it some Uhmhmmp.. and then it lagged big time. Then the oil light came on and as soon as I let go of the gas, the car stalled. I started it again and then the oil light was still on. If I touched the gas, the light would go off but would go on again if I let go of it... From the top of anyone's head, what can be wrong? anythign bent? Broken? cracked? damaged?

I really need help asap so I can figure out what to do.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:26 AM

a bent valve?
Old 11-25-2003, 05:33 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (TheIntegraGuy)

Why in the hell would you be hard on your motor with NO OIL in it?
If you knew it was messed up and you still were giving it hell then thats your fault.
But to me it sound like you probally bent some valves or a valve..
Old 11-25-2003, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Please help. Need immediate assistance. Car is not good.. (TheIntegraGuy)

stop what you doing casue i not help your motor at all, and start do a compression check.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:41 AM

Default Re: (USDMDC2)

lifter possibly its something in the head. I would not drive it and i would get some of my rainy day money and get it fixed
Old 11-25-2003, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please help. Need immediate assistance. Car is not good.. (TheIntegraGuy)

I can pretty much say you are screwed. The check Oil light is pretty much a dummy light and if it does come on then the damage has already been done hence the possible rod knocking noise coming from your engine. Same exact thing happened to me w/ mine. I had a noise coming from the engine for a while and while driving on the highway one day my car just died and I had to get a new engine. Just baby your car till you have the funds to fix what is wrong w/ it. Good luck...
Old 11-25-2003, 06:19 AM

Default Re: (USDMDC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why in the hell would you be hard on your motor with NO OIL in it?
If you knew it was messed up and you still were giving it hell then thats your fault.
But to me it sound like you probally bent some valves or a valve.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If I KNEW I had no oil do you really think I'm that stupid to drive that like? I knew I had a cam seal leak but I didn't realize how "serious" it was. Otherwise, I would of driven normal. If I knew it was messed up I wouldn't of driven it the way I did. I need advice, not a lecture.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can pretty much say you are screwed. The check Oil light is pretty much a dummy light and if it does come on then the damage has already been done hence the possible rod knocking noise coming from your engine. Same exact thing happened to me w/ mine. I had a noise coming from the engine for a while and while driving on the highway one day my car just died and I had to get a new engine. Just baby your car till you have the funds to fix what is wrong w/ it. Good luck...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. I appreciate your input on my situation. I'm not much of a motor genuis, but what do you suggest that I do? How much will all of this run me if I have a bent valve? I tried babying her, but she sounds like crap. And the car doesn't want to accelerate or won't accelerate how it used to. It sounds like Im running on 3 cylinders.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:33 AM

start saving I had similar problems, except it never got to the accelerated point of yours mine just took a **** and I left it. New engine was my future...
Old 11-25-2003, 07:43 AM

K guys, I started her up today and let her warm up for 20 min. She sounded perfect. Drove her around the block and noticed that the power decrease wasn't THAT bad. However, after 2k RPMs, it would make that loud clicking sound as I mentioned earlier. So, I wanted to test her out going about 40mph rather than 20. So I went on the street and as long as I drove conservatively, it seemed alright in the beginning but when I came to the first light, it stalled. I had to push it to a lot and tried cranking her over but only noticed grinding noises. This is coming form the driver side of the engine. When I crank it, it grinds, and then it doesn't turn over as if the "grinding" was stopping it. 20 min. later, she manageed to start but I kept the RPMs up at 2k throughout the whole drive home.. Never did the RPMs go below 1k even at a stop. I knew if I let off the gas, the car would stall. I kept it in 2nd gear and tried listening to what I could. I've noticed that the engine sounds like it's working incredibly hard but doesn't go anywhere. I'm not even close to knowing what happend but I'm hoping one of you guys can help me out.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:18 AM

Damn dude, that sounds pretty bad! Sorry to hear about your problems man!! From what it sounds like, that motor needs to get torn appart. I would suggest either taking it to a shop, or if you have the tools and the time, maybe try doing it at home. At the very least, the head is going to have to come off. Being able to take a look at the valvetrain and your pistons will shed a lot of light on your problem.

Sounds to me like you might have shitty oil pump. If your pump can't build up enough oil pressure to keep the oil circulating then your motor will start running without enough oil which would cause your metal/metal grinding sounds and perhaps a large oil leak.

I know your drive to work is a pretty long drive, and LS motors come pretty cheap, all you would need is the motor since you already have the tranny and everything else. You might just want to ditch the one you have and pick up a newer one if you don't want to mess with any motor work. Or, you could just go LS/V and call it a day. Hope everything goes well man, good luck! Let me know if you need any help y0!