Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

please dont fail me now HondaTech

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please dont fail me now HondaTech

yes ive searched but have not found anything useful in the four pages of overheating questions. Here is what I have done to my stock JDM B16 hatch to try and fix it:

New OEM Honda thermostat
fan stays on constantly because i put the two wires together
Resurfaced head with new oem head gasket
new auto zone del sol dual core radiator that I got for free
new radiator cap
I bypassed the heater core due to leaks around that area
ground wires are secure
pump is good
if it matters im running an LS dizzy
i bled the system correctly

heres the problem:
it only overheats when im on the freeway cruising in fifth gear at about four thousand RPMs. To let the temp get down when it overheats I put it in nuetral and let it roll, then I put it back in gear and as soon as I do that the temp goes back down to a little above normal. When I pull over to open the radiator cap it is mostly air that comes out with the fluid gushing out. please help me honda tech, im just getting tired of this damn overheating and I do not want to warp the head again because I just finished putting it back on. TIA!
Old 05-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please dont fail me now HondaTech (EG6 SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG6 SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> When I pull over to open the radiator cap it is mostly air that comes out with the fluid gushing out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How much fluid are you putting in? How exactly are you bleeding the system?

To bleed the system I always fill the radiator, start the car and let it run till the cooling fan comes on, while always adding fluid. Doing this will help the air bubles traped in the system to be pushed to the top.

If you loosing fluid, where is it going? It either has to got out or in. Have you looked for water marks on the motor? Could be hitting the exhaust and evaporate before hittinig the ground. OR its going inside the motor. Check the oil. Does it look like chochlate (SP?) milk
Old 05-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're either leaking or burning coolant. Does your heat work? Does the inside of your car smell sweet? It's possible that your heater core is going bad (gone bad) and needs replacement. Also, check your incoming heater hoses at the firewall, the IACV lines, etc.

EDIT: just reread your list. Obviously it's not the heater core. Um, blowing any white smoke?
Old 05-03-2004, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

headgasket!!!

sorry.....
Old 05-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sometimes it's the simplest thing that gets over-looked. Does your temp guage work properly? Maybe your car isn't over-heating. Maybe the guage is just bad, or your temp. sensor. If you can, hook up an aftermarket guage with actual degrees to see where you are at highway speeds. does the car over-heat if you flog it around town? Or just on the highway? I had a motor that would overheat on the highway, until I turned the heater on. I replaced the motor(it was a 92 cx).
Old 05-03-2004, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your not leaking anywhere i'd say it's a bad head gasket.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:10 PM
Down Since Day 1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: please dont fail me now HondaTech (chad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">headgasket!!!

sorry.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Easiest way to check is for leaks or oily coolant in the radiator. But I would say that the gasket is bad.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jmunk)

Since you said that mostly air comes out them obviously the coolant is going somewhere. Check for leaks and check your motor oil and see if it looks funny. You can also smell it, if it has coolant in it it will have a funky smell. If no leaks them there is probably a sealing issue. Check where the head and block meet all around the engine for any white marks. Why did the head get resurfaced? The head couldve not been resurfaced right, the headgasket is bad, or the deck of the block is not level and not sealing right with the head.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please dont fail me now HondaTech (b18cx)

no chocolate oil.
im positive its not the head gasket because i just did a head gasket about two days ago and trust me I know how to do it properly.
im not leaking any fluid.
i bypassed the heater core because the actually heater core was leaking so there is no fluid going to the heater core right now.
the only thing i could think of is maybe the sending unit for the gauge.

sorry, im just frustrated and im running out of ideas. so more info would be appreciated. maybe something i overlooked. TIA
Old 05-03-2004, 05:13 PM

Default Re: (5w20)

yeah im going with the head gasket also... check for oil in your coolant
Old 05-03-2004, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why was the head resurfaced?
Old 05-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Down Since Day 1

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG6 SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no chocolate oil.
im positive its not the head gasket because i just did a head gasket about two days ago and trust me I know how to do it properly.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not saying you dont know how to do it, just that parts can be defective.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please dont fail me now HondaTech (1 point 6)

Is the head torqued down correctly? did U test the head for straightness? why was it reserfaced?
Old 05-03-2004, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please dont fail me now HondaTech (99blackcivicSi)

would a coolant flush do anything?
Old 05-03-2004, 05:34 PM

Default Re: please dont fail me now HondaTech (CXinthemaking)

who replaced your headgasket? Could be on upside down. It looks like you had this problem before you replaced the headgasket though, so I guess forget that.

I had the same problem as you, and it ended up being the coolant thermo switch, but your fans are always on, so thats obviously not it.

Bump for help.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG6 SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.......... tired of this damn overheating and I do not want to warp the head again because I just finished putting it back on. TIA! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe the block needs to be decked. Damage was not only to the head the first time, it also warped the deck of the block.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (5w20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5w20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since you said that mostly air comes out them obviously the coolant is going somewhere. Check for leaks and check your motor oil and see if it looks funny. You can also smell it, if it has coolant in it it will have a funky smell. If no leaks them there is probably a sealing issue. Check where the head and block meet all around the engine for any white marks. Why did the head get resurfaced? The head couldve not been resurfaced right, the headgasket is bad, or the deck of the block is not level and not sealing right with the head.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-03-2004, 06:23 PM

check the ect sensor, radiator cap with the proper spec., and do the compression test on the coolant system to see if you have any leaks. just a thought head gasket upside down?
Old 05-03-2004, 06:31 PM

crackhead. i mean you probably got a cracked head. check for combustion gases in you coolant. that test can also test for bad head gasket. i forgot what the test is called. but you stick something into filler neck of you radiator and it mixes some type of fluid with your coolant and when if it changes color then you have some type of combustion gas.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:42 PM

maybe your coolant to water ratio is wrong. to much/little coolant can make a car do some crazy things
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sometimes it's the simplest thing that gets over-looked. Does your temp guage work properly? Maybe your car isn't over-heating. Maybe the guage is just bad, or your temp. sensor. If you can, hook up an aftermarket guage with actual degrees to see where you are at highway speeds. does the car over-heat if you flog it around town? Or just on the highway? I had a motor that would overheat on the highway, until I turned the heater on. I replaced the motor(it was a 92 cx).</TD></TR></TABLE>

this guy also make a good point...sometimes we get soo far ahead of our selfs we over look other things
Old 05-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please dont fail me now HondaTech (Who Said)

the reason the head was resurfaced was because I always resurface the head when I change a head gasket. At least that is what I was taught. There are no leaks in the system at all. I dont blow white smoke. And there is no oil in the coolant (that was the whole reason I changed the headgasket, because of oil in the coolant=blown head gasket).
I bled the coolant system again and took it for a drive and it over heated again. I pulled over and took the radiator cap off slowly and didnt notice any air gushing out. The coolant was actually level. So I took it for a drive again and it overheated again and I turned on my lights because it was getting dark and all of a sudden the temp. jumped down a little, I guess this means I have a bad ground or something, right? What should I check if it is an electrical problem? Should I buy new engine ground wires? This motor did not overheat in the car it was in before. The SOHC motor I had before did the same thing that this DOHC is doing now, so now my last shot would have to be with something electrical. Anything would help H-T! TIA!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going with headgasket also.

I've had problems with sealing before also...and I've done more head gaskets than years I have lived
Old 05-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please dont fail me now HondaTech (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm going with headgasket also.

I've had problems with sealing before also...and I've done more head gaskets than years I have lived </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, but would the exact same problem happen with two different motors. Like I said before, the motor I have now did not overheat at all in my friends car. Is there any electrical connections I should check. TIA
Old 05-04-2004, 10:27 AM

are you using the same ECU..you should check your temp with a diferent gauge maybe your gauge is just **** up
Old 05-04-2004, 11:15 AM

Default Re: please dont fail me now HondaTech (Who Said)

I would check the engine ground wires. I had some of the same problems and it turned out that the engine ground near the trans was corroding. My Other ground (near the valve cover) was not installed after the swap. Once the ground wire was cleaned up my problems were gone.

Quick Reply: please dont fail me now HondaTech