Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Pillowball uppermounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pillowball uppermounts

Are pillowball uppermounts worth the money? I've been eyeing Tein SS for my Sol for a while now and I hear that the SS series is/will be available with pillowball uppermounts now/soon for a bit extra dough. Are they worth it? Will they save money by not forcing me to buy more parts later (i.e. camber kits and such?). I also came across these for $739:

Tokico Honda Civic 1992-95 Illumina Series Adjustable Coilover Kit

Worth it? I know Tein is highly spoken of and Flex seemed too spendy and I wanted more than Type Basic.

One last thing, I'm building my car to be a killer street car, enjoyable to drive and zip around in and maybe some weekend amateur x-cross in the parking lots at the stadium nearby but nothing too extreme.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:08 AM
a/k/a Jomo

Default Re: Pillowball uppermounts (CaptivaBlue)

Sounds like you need Koni's and Ground controls.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Pillowball uppermounts (Mr Milano)

What are going to be the pro's to that over the Teins? And which Konis? It is my understanding that GC makes a coilover specifically for Koni shocks, I remember looking at the fabled yellows once and figuring GC and Yellows are as expensive as Tein SS. What are the pro/cons of each?
Old 05-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

you can read my comments on "pillow ball" (aka spherical bearing) mounts in this thread.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=846070

you can also read my FAQ on "coilovers". just go with a koni's and subtle GC spring rates.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Pillowball uppermounts (Tyson)

Well it looks like Koni Yellows and GC for me, I like the modularity of it all, I can buy the Konis as I have money and then the GC units afterwards- easier than saving up all that money for the Teins. Thanks all.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yah i just bought the koni yellow/gc set up for my hatch.. and man was it worth the money. This is the first set of aftermarket struts that i have bought, but i have ridden in cars with teins and for the price i think the koni/gc setup really cant be beat.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pillowball uppermounts (teamsol)

I just switched from Koni yellow/gc setup to Tein Flex with Pillowball.
What a difference. The koni setup sucks *** compared to the Tein Setup.
If you want to buy my Koni Yellow/GC setup, I will sell it to you for $550 + shipping.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:20 PM

If you daily drive your car and you do not like to hear road noise. I would stay away from solid pillow mounts.

They rattle, they chatter, they clunk, and they transfer much more noise than stock pillow mounts.

I used to have a setup with cusco solid uppers and now I have one with ohlins solid uppers. The ohlins are much more quieter but I dont know if thats because they are better or if its because they are newer.

Modified by _BEN_ at 4:35 PM 5/3/2004
Old 05-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pillowball uppermounts (crazyitr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyitr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just switched from Koni yellow/gc setup to Tein Flex with Pillowball.
If you want to buy my Koni Yellow/GC setup, I will sell it to you for $550 + shipping.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you should have up'd your spring rates and had the shocks re-valved and shortend. would have been alot less money and they would walk all over you teins<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by evan2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I could be wrong here but arent the konis not made for lowering cars, I mean the strut rod is the stock height

unlike the tein which has a lowered strut rod
I had tein ss on a gsr and loved them my boy bought them and put them on his eg nad loves them even more</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't know the exact lengh of the rod on the koni's but it can be shortend. and the idea that there not made for lowered cars is ludacris. SO many HC racers use this setup and there all lower then stock height.

and as far as tein SS out performing the koni yellow GC setup i think that is also a ludacris idea. even with the off the shelf spring rates they peform better, now get some integra spring rates and you will GREATLY out perfom the SS's. my buddy had yellows with GC with integra spring rates, bought teins (3 different setup) sold all of them and went back to yellow/gc setup. and i drove the car alot during the time the tiens were on there and even the SS's for an integra sucked *** as far as performance goes.

keep the green bling, ill take the yellow, red and gold performance
Old 05-03-2004, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pillowball uppermounts (slammed_93_hatch)

yah i dont know the exact rod lenght, the konis i picked up are the nuespeed setup, which they actually shortened the rod length.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pillowball uppermounts (teamsol)

I wish I had bought the pillowballs when I bought my Teins..... if I wasnt so lazy I'd put the ones I bought after-the-fact in

FYI: I wish I hadnt bought the Tein SS's, they're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too mild for my taste.. hence the name street dampner i spose if you insist on getting them, start looking into stiffer spring rates.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pillowball uppermounts (crazyitr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyitr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just switched from Koni yellow/gc setup to Tein Flex with Pillowball.
If you want to buy my Koni Yellow/GC setup, I will sell it to you for $550 + shipping.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd hope so. They're only about $600 more than Koni/GCs.

Of course... TEIN Flex come with 504/224 rates so I sort of question your evalution...
Old 05-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pillowball uppermounts (SkyeC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'd hope so. They're only about $600 more than Koni/GCs.

Of course... TEIN Flex come with 504/224 rates so I sort of question your evalution... </TD></TR></TABLE>

OOOO holly ****. that is complete crap i can't belive that ****. i guess thats why Emerika always says get some Eibach ERS.