Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to install indiglo gauges without them interferring with your needles

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install indiglo gauges without them interferring with your needles

This is actually a pretty easy set up to do and it should only take about an hr.

For materials you値l need:
1. Your original gauges
2. A can of spray on glue (I used the spray on kind that you use to (re) attach cloth to the top of your car ext.) otherwise I知 sure any clear drying glue will work

Now the fun part, basically you follow the instructions given to you with your gauges but I知 adding a step to the list.

(1) Remove your gauge cluster and the faceplate protecting your gauges
(2) Now clean off the faces of the factory gauges
(3) Spray the glue onto one gauge
(4) Quickly place the emitting part of the indiglows onto the gauge
(5) Make sure everything is aligned properly especially the cut out for the needle
(6) Wipe away the excess glue
(7) Wait a few mins for the glue to dry and repeat steps 3-6 for the faceplate
(8) Repeat steps 3-7 for the other gauges Tach, Speedo, ext.

By doing it this way your basically eliminating the bubble that can sometimes form like mine did. When I first installed mine there was a bubble for whatever reason interfering with my needles they would go up fine but stick going down so I glued everything down to make sure it was all good. The glue I used allowed me to take everything off as well to switch things around later if I wanted to. Hope this helps someone as well as it did me!!!
Old 05-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: How to install indiglo gauges without them interferring with your needles (nocternaldragon)

I dont get how you got the gauge over the needle though, did you slide it behind the needle? Probably pics would help better.

If you had pics this would be a great write up, right now its a good write up because im confused with my question that i asked.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:51 PM

Default Re: How to install indiglo gauges without them interferring with your needles (Luserkid)

You have to slide the gauges over the needle ontop of the originals, Ill add pictures when i get some, i should of taken some when i did this a month ago but just now thought of doing the write up
Old 05-01-2004, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to install indiglo gauges without them interferring with your needles (nocternaldragon)

Pics are really needed because i cant figure out how you got the indiglos over the needle.

Say you used this type of indiglo:

You would have to carefully move it around the needle because if you touch the needle youll be off on anything you touch. And not everyone has access to a 2000 dollar snap on scan tool (i read your other post, good write up)
Old 05-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to install indiglo gauges without them interferring with your needles (jaydm ferio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaydm ferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cant help on this one but i read you are soon to boost.

I am selling a brand new t3 t4 complete turbo kit..</TD></TR></TABLE>

If that was addressed to me next time just PM me and not in the thread.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to install indiglo gauges without them interferring with your needles (Luserkid)

I think he got it on by angleing or slightly bending the guage and slipping it past the needle.

If you really tough the needle, it throws the whole thing off??? What if the car is off and the needle is set at 0?
Old 05-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to install indiglo gauges without them interferring with your needles (dohcdelsol)

I heard any touching towards the needle and its off. But again this is what i heard, maybe its just when you move it. But i wouldnt chance it.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you're technically suposed to slide it over "carefully". Which is bullshit, you cant fit those things on without hitting the needles.

I did it before on a 91 hatch, what I ended up doing is cutting the sides on the Fuel / Temp piece, that way I could slide it on without hitting the needles tooo much. The tach and speedo were much easier.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:41 PM

Default Re: (Vero)

Im gonna get some pics to illistrate my point, but yea your saposed to bend the indiglows so you dont hit the needle, as for bumbing them as long as you dont sit there and play with them (move them there full range and then some) you should be fine cause i defiently moved mine and the needles dident get out of adjustment from that just from me making a dumb mistake of taking the needle completly off the gauge......
Old 05-01-2004, 08:11 PM

Moving them wont make them read wrong they move every time you start you car.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (1SicCiv)

pulling the needles off on a hodna dosn't work that damn rod from the needle to the unit always breaks the only way to remove a needle is to heat it very carefully Also WTF is the point of the glue? the screws is all you need. Also this is how all the people that make the indiglos tell you to install them thats why the center hole for the needle is so huge. It won't hurt it by touching the needle also trust me or like 40 cars would be running aorund around here in Va and have fucked up guages.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:15 PM

Default Re: (99blackcivicSi)

Here's a thought. Leave the stock ones in. Or if you must be a baller, snag a JDM cluster. Just make sure you got your mph to kph conversions down.

Indiglo
Stock
JDM
Old 05-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (5thgensedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgensedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Indiglo
Stock
JDM </TD></TR></TABLE>

Indiglo
Stock
JDM
Bandwagons
You
Old 05-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blackcivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Indiglo
Stock
JDM
Bandwagons
You </TD></TR></TABLE>

Very well put. What's the point of getting a super cool JDM cluster and having it either not read in MPH, or have to swap out the speedometer and have it not match....
Old 05-03-2004, 01:29 PM

First off i dont know what the hell your talking about with the needle they DO JUST PULL STRAIGHT OFF! and the center hole isent that big at all, its just big enough for the needle assembly to go through otherwise you would have a gap all the way around that part of your needle and it would just look gay as all hell. But most importanly indiglows arent held in by any screws the most that hold them in is the pressure from your instument cluster bezel holding them in by there edges which can cause them to bend up in the middle somewhat. Ive installed a great many of gagues that way for ppl and found it by far the best and thought i would post it on here to help someone out but if your gonna be an a$$ i wont bother anymore........
Old 05-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nocternaldragon)

i dont understand whey everyone thinks if you touch or move the needles that they will be off at all.

i have moed every single needsle from RPM (moves back down on its own), SPEEDOMETER (moves back down onits own), TEMP ( moves back to what it is supposed to be when you turn the car on), and fuel ( again moves back down when you turn the car on)

every gauge shoudl return to what it is supposed to be granted they arent broken before you touch them. i have put at least 4 different clusters in my civic before i did a dash swap and even the type r cluster i have i did that as well (just because i alwasy **** with the needles because im a tard) and every needle has always returned to what it was supposed to be.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:47 PM
Cole Trickle

Good write-up. I would consider doing this if I could find some guages that I like and don't make the car look too ricey.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

needles return to the correct point on their own unless you break them...what do you think happens when you fill up the tank? it will read the fuel level and displays accordingly.

i recently took out my reverse indiglos and although they are fairly thick, i never had any problems with them bubbling or bulging.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blackcivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Indiglo
Stock
JDM
Bandwagons
You </TD></TR></TABLE>

great post
Old 05-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocternaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First off i dont know what the hell your talking about with the needle they DO JUST PULL STRAIGHT OFF! and the center hole isent that big at all, its just big enough for the needle assembly to go through otherwise you would have a gap all the way around that part of your needle and it would just look gay as all hell. But most importanly indiglows arent held in by any screws the most that hold them in is the pressure from your instument cluster bezel holding them in by there edges which can cause them to bend up in the middle somewhat. Ive installed a great many of gagues that way for ppl and found it by far the best and thought i would post it on here to help someone out but if your gonna be an a$$ i wont bother anymore........ </TD></TR></TABLE>

Uhh no honda needles don't pull right off dude i can tell you that from experiance.

Also EVERY SINGLE set of guages i have installed have been held on by the FACTORY SCREWS
Old 05-03-2004, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Very well put. What's the point of getting a super cool JDM cluster and having it either not read in MPH, or have to swap out the speedometer and have it not match.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

My jdm rs cluster reads just fine and its milage is accurate thank you

I dont have access to a 2000 dollar scan tool I used this other thing called common sense.

Turn the motherfuckin car on with the guage cluster installed and then place the needle at 0 press and viola!

Old 05-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (5thgensedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgensedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's a thought. Leave the stock ones in. Or if you must be a baller, snag a JDM cluster. Just make sure you got your mph to kph conversions down.

Indiglo
Stock
JDM </TD></TR></TABLE>

finally the first decent idea on in this thread. lol
Old 05-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Indiglo
Stock
JDM
Bandwagons
You </TD></TR></TABLE>

BEST POST OF THE WEEK!
Old 05-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4DRPIMPIN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4DRPIMPIN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

finally the first decent idea on in this thread. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

yay

/yourself