PCV questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV questions

I just replaced the PCV on my E36 and boy was it dirty at 120k

my civic (D15b7) has 163k and I;m replacing mine

Are they are issues on this engine where the PCV gets clogged?

Should I clean any of the PCV lines or anything like that?

The PCV looks like it connects directly to the intake mani. how should I clean off the intake mani conduit?

any other advice could help and possibly explain how or why my car is using some oil (it s not a bad HG or piston rings as confirmed by a leak-down test)
Old 02-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PCV questions

the pcv does not plug directly into the intake manifold, the manifold acts as a mount point for it. there is a hose under neath the intake that goes to the crankcase breather box. you can take that all out clean it with a strong degreaser or carb cleaner and re install with a new pcv valve.. its a tight fit and can be trouble some but its worth it, much better running engine and better emissions
Old 02-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so I can pull that bottom hose (I assume it goes to the oil pan directly) wihtout hacing to remove the intake manifold?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seafoam that bitch.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HTY67
Seafoam that bitch.

seafoam thru intake?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

made an interesting discovery

I noticed that the hose from the PCV to the intake manifold was collapsed at idle.

I then removed the hose from the PCV to the intake manifold and blocked off the manifold nipple to let the engine idle peacefully. When I did this, I did not feel any wind coming from the PCV.

From my understanding of the PCV, it should be open when the engine is idling, thus pumping the engine's blow-by gases to that hose I removed.
Is this correct?

If this is correct, then my PCV is stuck closed and faulty, correct?

I also noticed that the breather hose (that goes from the valve cover to the intake tube (Upstream the Throttle Body) was not pumping or sucking anything, if that helps

thanks dudes. I appreciate all the help
Old 02-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the PCV valve is not connected to the manifold then you wouldn't feel anything flowing through the tube. The vacuum of the manifold is what opens the valve and sucks the gasses out of the crankcase.

Since you just replaced the valve I'm sure it's good. Might need to replace the hose if it's collapsing when pulling a vacuum.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HTY67
If the PCV valve is not connected to the manifold then you wouldn't feel anything flowing through the tube. The vacuum of the manifold is what opens the valve and sucks the gasses out of the crankcase.

Since you just replaced the valve I'm sure it's good. Might need to replace the hose if it's collapsing when pulling a vacuum.
I haven t replaced it yet, I was was just fiddling and understand the physics of the PCV's system.

but you raise a damn good point there. The hose from te PCV to the mani looks suspiciously new in a 163k miles car......

maybe it was replaced at some point.

I ll go to autozone and get some emissions hose

So it;s not the blowby gases that push open the valve? it's the engine vacuum that does this
Old 02-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG94dude

So it;s not the blowby gases that push open the valve? it's the engine vacuum that does this
Well it's either way really. The valve is held shut by a spring and opens when there's enough pressure differential to oppose the force of the spring. That pressure differential can be created by pulling a vacuum on the intake side or creating high pressure in the crankcase. I believe the only time you'd see the latter is under wide open throttle because you'd have no manifold vacuum and higher blowby. With the hose to the manifold disconnected you won't get enough crankcase pressure to open the valve at idle unless you have some serious blowby problems and in that case your pcv is the least of your concerns.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you haven't replaced it yet you can just clean it unless you really want to spend the $. Soak it in an ounce or so of gas for an hour. It'll be clean as a whistle.

If it rattles when you shake it and only allows flow in one direction then its good to go.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tico
the pcv does not plug directly into the intake manifold, the manifold acts as a mount point for it. there is a hose under neath the intake that goes to the crankcase breather box. you can take that all out clean it with a strong degreaser or carb cleaner and re install with a new pcv valve.. its a tight fit and can be trouble some but its worth it, much better running engine and better emissions

how does one get to the crankcase breather box? DOes it usually cause any problems on these cars?

wat do I need to remove to get to it?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...EATHER+CHAMBER

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...3sr401_e08.png

Last edited by EG94dude; 02-05-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump