Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Passing emissions with obd1 in an obd2 car Washington

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passing emissions with obd1 in an obd2 car Washington

Anyone in Washington state pass emissions with and obd2 car and an obd1 computer?
Old 03-01-2005, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Passing emissions with obd1 in an obd2 car Washington (96MidoriHatch)

If your emmisions place hooks your car up to the scanner, which it should because its OBD2, then NO.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Passing emissions with obd1 in an obd2 car Washington (96MidoriHatch)

You'll need it to be obd2 to pass.

When i took my mom's buick in for emission last year. They pluged in the scanner and that was it.
For my hatch on the other hand it went on the roller. It's a 94 obd1 with swap.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:18 AM
H-T White Ops

Just keep the OBDII ECU in there. Drive the car to the smog place on your OBDI ECU, plug in the OBDII computer, smog the car, drive out of the inspection bay and hook the OBDI ECU back up.

That's what I did when I had to get mine inspected over here in Portugal. I was still running stock injectors thought so switching ECUs wasn't a big deal. I just told the guy not to rev the hell out of it.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your emmisions place hooks your car up to the scanner, which it should because its OBD2, then NO.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I was trying to figure out is whether they hook it up to the scanner or not.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HyBriDcxR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> You'll need it to be obd2 to pass.
When i took my mom's buick in for emission last year. They pluged in the scanner and that was it.
For my hatch on the other hand it went on the roller. It's a 94 obd1 with swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you!

Old 03-03-2005, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96MidoriHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just keep the OBDII ECU in there. Drive the car to the smog place on your OBDI ECU, plug in the OBDII computer, smog the car, drive out of the inspection bay and hook the OBDI ECU back up.

That's what I did when I had to get mine inspected over here in Portugal. I was still running stock injectors thought so switching ECUs wasn't a big deal. I just told the guy not to rev the hell out of it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That really worked? When you plugged the OBD2 ECU in it didn't throw any codes?
Old 03-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (crxhybrid85)

Portugal isn't the US and in the US, they hook up the scanner and check to see that the monitors have run and have passed.

There is no way that you can pull up to the station, pop the ECU in, fire up the car and pass emmisions - it takes some drive cycles to complete the monitor tests.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

It wont work.. you'll have to make your car run at obd2 standards.. If you're throwing ANY check engine lights automatic fail... and you cant drive your car up there as obd1 and the pop the obd2 ecu in, It takes time for the ecu to get the emission codes back on there so when they hook it up they'll tell you its not ready to be tested yet and to come back later.. Its pretty hard if not impossible to fool the system... My cousin failed the first timein his si with gsr swap so the next day we went up there him in his si me in mine.. We swapped ecu's right outside the place assuming mine would still have the codes and it erased it putting it on his car... and you cant just pull the check engine light bulb out of the cluster, the test will still recognize the code....
Old 03-05-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: (Ls_V_TurboSi)

Well I guess my only option is to use a obd2 gsr ecu and wire in a knock sensor so that I won't throw any codes and put in a cat. F*** i wish i woulda just bought an eg.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96MidoriHatch)

where are you located in washington? I just moved from there to DFW and where I lived I didn't have to go through emissions. I was in Yacolt, about 30 minutes NE from Portland, OR
Old 03-07-2005, 06:11 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (crxhybrid85)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxhybrid85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That really worked? When you plugged the OBD2 ECU in it didn't throw any codes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, worked like a charm. I guess I didn't really have a problem since I was running my B16A2 with stock injectors, both O2's were still there and hooked up. I just had to unplug my conversion harness and hook the stock Si ECU back up and fired the car right up. No CEL or anything.