Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Painting JDMShit Lip

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 02:30 PM
ng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting JDMShit Lip

If you have any exp. with this please let me know. I got the lip for XMas, and it is white plastic with no paint.

What I need to know is, what are the steps I need to take to get it painted black. I'm not talking professional, but I certainly don't want people's eyes to be drawn to it.

I figure I need to sand it, thinking of 600 wet sand paper, but what paint/primer/anything do you advise? Thanks, and I did search but found lots of different, conflicting responses.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Painting JDMShit Lip (ng)

if i were to paint it...i would sand it down...primer a couple coats...then paint it black with a lot of coats wheather it be high gloss black or flat black. whichever you prefer. those are steps to paint basically anything plastic.
Rob0
Old 12-26-2003, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Painting JDMShit Lip (EKsnatchback)

read the other painting a lip thread that was just answered like 30 minutes ago...its a guy asking the same question you did and he's allready been answered
Old 12-26-2003, 02:35 PM
ng

What am I looking for when I sand it? It's already VERY smooth, just a few spots that need to be gone over because they got a little buildup during the shipping.

Edit: RP, I believe that thread is what to do with an already painted lip. Mine is unpainted, and he had some things that he was going to do with his that don't apply to me. I'm looking for a straight answer to my specific question.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:57 PM

Default Re: (ng)

ok you have an unpainted white urethane lip

first wash the lip in warm soapy water this cleans, warms up the material surface,and makes sanding easier and cleaner...then when your done washing it use the warm soapy water and some 600 grit wetsand paper and scuff every part of the lip dont sand the **** out of it just scuff it so every inch of it has sanding lines..then wash it off with just regular warm water then dry..then wipe it down with a dust free tack rag and paint it..if you want it black i suggest using krylon semigloss black interior/exterior paint..my reason for suggesting this paint is it drys semi gloss and not 100% flat black to the point where it wont reflect light(if you use flat black it will not match the rest of your black plastic oem parts)..it matches your moldings,mirrors,and other oem black plastic

good luck
Old 12-26-2003, 02:59 PM
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: Painting JDMShit Lip (ng)

I already responded to your post here.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=715320

But yeah, sand, primer, paint flat black (IMO flat black would look better).
Oh, wait...it's urethane? I don't have any painting experience...I only know what I've heard...but don't you have to paint urethane a special way?
I do know that urethane is unlike plastic in that it is more flexible than the ABS plastic, hence the paint can crack easily if you hit the lip somewhere, or maybe even wind-force at highway speeds? I don't know.
Once upon a time, when I had an EK and I was a ricer, I had my urethane body kit painted and they told me it had to be painted a special way...
Old 12-26-2003, 03:27 PM
ng

So I don't need primer if i use the krylon paint?
Old 12-26-2003, 03:55 PM
ng

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I don't need primer if i use the krylon paint?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-26-2003, 04:39 PM

hey i got a jdmshit lip too! Ive also got a Oem si lip on the car right now that is color matched....i wanted to switch it up with a flat black lip...kind of sick of the color matched one
Old 12-26-2003, 04:54 PM
ng

Do I have to use primer if I use Krylon paint?
Old 12-26-2003, 06:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do I have to use primer if I use Krylon paint?</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude i gave you exact instructions..i would have said use prmer if you had to use primer
Old 12-26-2003, 06:06 PM
ng

No need for an attitude. I sent you a pm hours ago regarding your post, you could've just answered me through that.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:10 PM

im not the only one who uses this name..my brother uses it to look at the ef forums he probally deleted it
Old 12-26-2003, 06:32 PM

Default Re: (Ronin Panda)

use bumper paint because it's a special mix as to where if the lip ever flexes the paint won't crack
Old 12-26-2003, 06:35 PM
ng

Can I get it at Autozone or Kragens? Pepboys? I just need flat black!
Old 12-26-2003, 06:37 PM

Default Re: (MaRkO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MaRkO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">use bumper paint because it's a special mix as to where if the lip ever flexes the paint won't crack </TD></TR></TABLE>

dont listen to this statment he dosnt know what hes talking about..there is no bumper paint..paint is paint..there is an agent you add to make the paint more flexable...you dont need to use it unless you plan on twisting the plastic everyday for no reason..once mounted the lip will be stable and not flex
Old 12-26-2003, 06:43 PM
ng

Doesn't the additive make the paint less susceptable to dings and chips from rocks?

Also, I was planning on leaving the back unpainted. Will that pose any problems?

And where should I get it?
Old 12-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't even need something as fine as 600 grit. 320 wet or even 220 would do just fine considering you apply some good coats of primer. Basically to paint most things: Clean part, sand it, clean it again making sure all the dirt / grease / dust is off, prime it a couple of times, sand if necessary (runs / scratches / let the paint dry for more than a day or so), and apply 1,2,3.. coats of color, whatever covers or you feel comfortable with. I've had good results with OSH paint (orchard's), Krylon, Rusto, etc as long as you take care you should be fine. As far as the color goes, I don't know what black you're looking for. You could use black primer, and if it doesn't look right for you go over it with semi gloss. Good luck.

btw I'm not claiming expertise at all but more often than not I see people putting on paint too dry. Lay on less wetter coats (just so it doesn't run), it will look and cover much better.