Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Which paint to use when painting side skirt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which paint to use when painting side skirt?

Okay here's the deal, I got a vouge silver civic and I'm thinking of painting my EX side skirts. Which paint should I use?

I've been recomended to use Krylon #1401 "Bright Silver" but I haven't been able to find any at the local Lowe's or Home Depot. Any other paints I could use to match my silver? Thanks.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:43 PM
GDD Member

Default Re: Which paint to use when painting side skirt? (dgdarien)

Just take it to maaco. I know they do crappy paint, but it's a hell of a lot better than spray paint.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

either maaco, or even some dealerships. i got mine painted for 69 bucks each at a dealership collision center. i asked around a LOT of places and got estimates exceeding 400 bucks for just the 2 side skirts. so ask a couple dealers around you. it's sometimes worth it. and if you DO decide to just paint it yourself, some auto stores carry factory matched paints. i could never find vogue silver, but satin silver metallic is pretty much the same thing. before i got mine professionally done, i used that color. you couldn't tell any difference in the color. but the paint didn't last very well and didn't look anywhere near as good as they do now.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:59 PM

It is best to go to a body shop and have them done professionaly, they can also use the same paint to match the car perfectly. Get afew estimates, aprox. price should be around $300
Old 01-24-2003, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Which paint to use when painting side skirt? (Blue Devil 2)

thinking about having Paint Pros come by and giving me an estimate for painting the rear bumper cover..same company as Dent Pros, they save d me $$$
Old 01-24-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which paint to use when painting side skirt? (00CIVICwB18C1)

either maaco, or even some dealerships. i got mine painted for 69 bucks each at a dealership collision center. i asked around a LOT of places and got estimates exceeding 400 bucks for just the 2 side skirts. so ask a couple dealers around you. it's sometimes worth it. and if you DO decide to just paint it yourself, some auto stores carry factory matched paints. i could never find vogue silver, but satin silver metallic is pretty much the same thing. before i got mine professionally done, i used that color. you couldn't tell any difference in the color. but the paint didn't last very well and didn't look anywhere near as good as they do now.
This is a good idea if your car is a factory color. Because of the repairs they do, they have the paint mixed already, so they'll sometimes hook you up by just throwing your pieces in.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Which paint to use when painting side skirt? (deepnite)

yea dude, take it to the shop, they uses that stretchy paint that will aloow bended, the plastic side skirts can bend/warp and if you use normal paint it flakes off, and also foreign objects flinging up will chip it easy if you uses your can paint
Old 01-24-2003, 07:08 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Which paint to use when painting side skirt? (kwik2nec)

go to kragen , they got this stuff called import auto spray...find your color code then look it up in the book the should have there. then go to Walmart and get ADHESION PROMOTOR...the cap is clear and most people mistake it for clear coat.
i was in the air force and we used this adhesion promotor on jets. it werks. and get primer

1. sand down the skirts
2. clean with alcohol
3. spay the adehsion promotor, let it semi dry
4. spray the primer, let it dry
5. spray the auto spray. light coats at first.
(spray VERY light coats. dont worry about fully caoting it, just get an even spary. let it dry between caots. apply more and more caots until ur color is good. use a lot of paint. probably 2 or 3 of the small cans. i did my buddies sideskirts 3 years ago, and its still good. people still think it was done at a shop. just gottah have can control and patience.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which paint to use when painting side skirt? (eeJayeiGht)

Hmmm sounds interesting. I'd most be interested in the DIY approach, this isn't a show car or anything so it doesn't have to be perfect. Just as long as it looks better then the stock black.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:29 AM

Stock flat black trim! best color that honda gave me!
Old 01-25-2003, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Which paint to use when painting side skirt? (kwik2nec)

Body shops dont have strechy paint thats funny and if you have any pride in your car you will not use spray paint .
Old 01-25-2003, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Which paint to use when painting side skirt? (eeJayeiGht)

go to kragen , they got this stuff called import auto spray...find your color code then look it up in the book the should have there. then go to Walmart and get ADHESION PROMOTOR...the cap is clear and most people mistake it for clear coat.
i was in the air force and we used this adhesion promotor on jets. it werks. and get primer

1. sand down the skirts
2. clean with alcohol
3. spay the adehsion promotor, let it semi dry
4. spray the primer, let it dry
5. spray the auto spray. light coats at first.
(spray VERY light coats. dont worry about fully caoting it, just get an even spary. let it dry between caots. apply more and more caots until ur color is good. use a lot of paint. probably 2 or 3 of the small cans. i did my buddies sideskirts 3 years ago, and its still good. people still think it was done at a shop. just gottah have can control and patience.
you just told us how to create the uglyest paint job possible