Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Packing grease into the input and main bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Packing grease into the input and main bearing?

In short:

I'm replacing three bearings in my '93 VX tranny: input shaft bearing (at the clutch housing), the main bearing (opposite end of the main shaft), and the counter shaft bearing. I'm thinking of packing the bearings with hi-temp grease. Has anyone done this or should I just put them in dry?

Gary

More details:

I have a 93 Civic VX. Love the car. Gets excellent mileage - who needs a hybrid?
I just pulled the tranny because it's making a racket.

Well, tonight I cracked open the tranny case and lifted it off the bell housing. I was surprised to find some plastic where the "ball-bearing" bearing was suppose to be. That bearing is not on the shaft but in the tranny case! Looking at the bearing, I noticed at least one or two ball bearings are gone. I see alot of powdery metallic stuff inside the case which I believe are remnants of the ball bearing. This bearing is at the end of the input shaft at the opposite end of the bell housing.

I took some pics tonight. The pictures of bearing is here:

http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.c...ae1?c=

Also, I was told from the parts guy at my local dealer that I can fill the tranny with straight 10w30 engine oil. Is this true? The Haynes manual indicates this is so... Comments?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Packing grease into the input and main bearing? (garyhgaryh)

bump because my tranny is making the same noise
Old 06-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy oem bearings which will already be pre-oiled and just stick them in. as far as the engine oil, why? when you can buy oem honda tranny oil. and dont listen to the haynes manual, follow what the helms manual says. if you dont have it send me your email and ill send it to you

Old 06-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Packing grease into the input and main bearing? (cxSHOE)

Pretty common for a failed tranny, the input shaft bearing cage usually breaks and sends at least one or two bearings in the oil. Eventually 2nd gear will get really hard to use after the other bearings take a beating because of the ISB's failure. My countershaft bearing also began to slide out of its hole, so I replaced it and staked the new one in, so it cant slide itself out. Don't put grease in the tranny, once it gets hot enough it will more than likely fly all over the place.

You can run 10 wieght oil, but i will always trust the manufacturers oils, and I would suggest that you do the same. You cna put anything in your tranny you wish, but it should also state that this is not the recommended oil, and should be changed asap. At $3 a quart, its peace of mind.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Packing grease into the input and main bearing? (cxSHOE)

bump? I'm a newbie here. Please sxplain.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Packing grease into the input and main bearing? (slowcivic2k)

My bad, I am using the Helms manual _and_ it does say 10w30 engine oil. Exactly what the tech says.

You guys: How do I take out the counter shaft bearing? There's a plastic guide in the center so it's a bit tricky getting it out without destroying the plastic center piece.

Gary
Old 06-04-2007, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a sealing bolt on the outside of the case that you can use to access the oil guide plate, and remove it. Then you can just use a conventional inverse gear puller, or tap it with a pole and mallet.

The Helms tech is not a Honda tech, and the specs can vary greatly between manuals, nothing is better than factory. Like I said you can use it, but Honda puts additives in their oils for a reason, and I wouldn't question the company that made your car.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Packing grease into the input and main bearing? (slowcivic2k)

Unless I'm mistaken, there is no sealing bolt outside the housing enclosing the countershaft bearing, nor is there a way to remove the plate without taking out the seal.

Ok, I will agree with you on the Honda additive if you can tell me where it is stated for a '93 Civic VX.

Thanks in advance for your reply,
Gary