Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

p28 ecu chip

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p28 ecu chip

I am going to get a racing chip for my p28 ecu. The motor is all stock in my car right now, d16z6. I heard its smart to beef up the motor before you chip your ecu. So my question is, what should i consider adding to my car before chipping it. Now dont go all crazy on me, i dont have a thick wallet. I just want to know what im going to absolutely need. Im aiming for a chip thats going to engage vtec around 4200 rpm's and red line arround 9 - 10k rpm's so i realize if i want power up in those rpms you need to beef the motor up. Ive also heard its pretty easy to blow a d16z6 motor up if you dont have the right parts after getting it chipped.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: p28 ecu chip (chris61988kb)

I'm gonna go easy on you, but expect to get flamed.

Chipping an ecu should only be based on the modifications you already have on your car. It is done by fine tuning the program to make the most efficient power.
Most off the shelf chips are a joke since they'll add a little fuel, advance the timing slightly, and do nothing else. Really, you might make 2-3 hp off of it. Not worth it.
You're better off spending the same money on new OEM spark plug wires, some new spark plugs, a fuel filter, and advance your timing at the distributor. I'm sure you'll make up your 2-3 hp there without doing anything but a basic tune up.

Don't worry about rechipping the ecu until you have something done to the car.
There are pleanty of auto manufacturers that undertune their cars. Throwing a chip in may net you 20hp. Not so with a Honda until you get to the new K series motors.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris61988kb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Im aiming for a chip thats going to engage vtec around 4200 rpm's and red line arround 9 - 10k rpm's

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why? What makes you think that is going to benefit you in any way?
Old 01-19-2007, 08:16 AM

I could care less if i get flammed. Whoever does the flamming is just showing their shitty *** personallity where they need to go and bitch out some kid on a forum who is trying learn about his car.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:19 AM

Default Re: (chris61988kb)

and to the other dude, it does benefit you. hmm lets see, stock d16z6 redlines at 7200 rpm, say i put some **** under the hood, then put a chip that allows me to redline at 9000rpm. means more power in each gear. Obviously you need stuff to add more hp so your car can still gain power at that high of an rpm.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

We've all been where you are right now... drop in this chip and I can rev till 9k, yah more power... the reality is you will only damage your engine by doing this, and you will be slower by reving over the stock rev limiter.

the only way you are going to benifit from raising the rev limiter is if you put in different cams. the stock cams stop making power around 6800, it doesn't matter how much fuel you pour in or what you do with the ignition the engine simply will not make any more power. Hence why honda put the rev limiter where it is.

If you're engine is going to remain fairly close to stock you are better off sticking with the stock ECU. The stock maps are very good, in fact they have millions of $$ invested in them. No way some $10 chip is goiing to compeat with that.
If you really want more from your setup tuning is the only way to go, but you're going to get very little. Maybe a couple HP and a a couple mpg points.

If you do something more major, lowering or raising compression, cams, boost, etc then tuning is a really good idea, if not manditory. But a "chip" from a someone who never even touches your car will never be as good as the stock maps or a true tune.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris61988kb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and to the other dude, it does benefit you. hmm lets see, stock d16z6 redlines at 7200 rpm, say i put some **** under the hood, then put a chip that allows me to redline at 9000rpm. means more power in each gear. Obviously you need stuff to add more hp so your car can still gain power at that high of an rpm.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It only will benefit you if you are ready to tear into the motor. You will need a full high compression build to even come close to what you are looking for. Get ready to spend 3K+ on just the engine. The stock rod/rod bolt combo is good to around 8300 rpm, but the stock cam runs out at around 6700 rpm.

In the least you will need a set of high comp pistons to get you around 12:1 to 12.5:1CR, then upgrade the cam and valvetrain accordingly. You will also want to port the head to increase the efficiency of that new setup. This alone will set you back about $1200 if you do all of the work yourself, besides the machining/port work. Even this setup will run out of breath at around 8200.

7800 rpm will be fine if you go with say a ZEX 59300 cam, or Crower equivalent, with the associated spring/retainer kit.

Also, thinking a 4200rpm VTEC crossover will benefit you is false. The crossover point should be tuned on a dyno where you can graph the hp/torque. If you just drop it to 4200 you will see a torque loss until you are back in the proper operating range of the cam. Even my turbo car likes 4700 with a stock Z6 cam, and I am blowing air past the valves, not relying on vacuum to suck it in. Generally I see 5000-5100 rpm as the sweet spot on the Z6s I have tuned.

I hate to burst your 9,000-10,000 rpm Z6 bubble, but you should focus on a well balanced setup that makes power at a reasonable rpm range instead of just shooting for a high rpm redline.

BTW: Tune the car. Tuning is NOT dropping in a $10 EBAY special Mugen chip. Go to http://forum.pgmfi.org/ and register. You can then read up on tuning.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Re: (Relic1)

Im puttin a cam shaft and cam gear in my motor. im also getting a performance T/B and intake manifold. Anyone know if its a good idea to go to a shop and have them installed or will I be able to do it myself? After this is done what else should i plan on throwing in the motor? I plan on boosting my civic too if that changes your opinions on what else i should look into throwing in my motor.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris61988kb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. Ive also heard its pretty easy to blow a d16z6 motor up if you dont have the right parts after getting it chipped.

</TD></TR></TABLE> I see this happening in the near future..........
Old 01-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: p28 ecu chip (Initial Dizzle)

yeah me too
Old 01-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Dac

A cam,cam gear, and a "performance" TB isnt going to enable you to rev that high.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im really surpised no one has said this yet...intake, header, exhaust. everyone should start off with that, then work your way up from there. good luck
Old 01-19-2007, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris61988kb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and to the other dude, it does benefit you. hmm lets see, stock d16z6 redlines at 7200 rpm, say i put some **** under the hood, then put a chip that allows me to redline at 9000rpm. means more power in each gear. Obviously you need stuff to add more hp so your car can still gain power at that high of an rpm.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I suggest you stop posting for a while and just lurk around the forums and learn a few things. The search function is very useful, you can go back into the archives and read about anything you need to know. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and when you post things like that ^^...you really do make it obvious that you don't know much YET.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (seadonkeyraypiss)

The guy above is right. Reading is a great way to get into this.
Now the other thing I have to suggest is starting with suspension. Why go fast if you can't control it?
Also, the money you DON'T spend on this motor will be able to go toward a swap.
To get a D series to compete with a B series, you have to turbo it or do a MASSIVE build. So, why waste the money on a header that will be coming back off later? Same with a cam and TB.
Save your cash now and do something that will stay on the car as long as you have it. Coilovers, swaybars, rims, etc.
Once you figure out what you can do with the motor (reading time while working on suspension), you'll have enough saved to do a sweet swap, or turbo, or both...
Also, if you want to turbo later, don't get a cam. NA and turbo cams have nothing in common other than being bump sticks. Read. Don't spend any money, and don't listen to anything a shop tells you.
They see dollars walking in the door. Do something you feel comfortable with, and if someone tells you to do something like exhaust, ask why you should do that compared to something else. 3hp from exhaust now? yippie.... When you swap in a gsr, you're making huch more with the same setup?
You get my point. There's a lot to learn. Don't waste money!!!!!