Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

P0505 pending after replacing IACV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0505 pending after replacing IACV.

Hello all, I have replaced a head gasket and installed a reconditioned head. I replaced all the parts and even checked valve clearances, but the problem I have is setting idle speed and clearing a persistent pending P0505 code. I have the rpm down to 915 and that's after about 5 minutes of idling. I read that if I have a three wire IACV connector, I can not disconnect IACV to adjust the mixture screw(correct?) Well I did disconnect it to adjust idle screw. I reset the computer by removing battery terminals and touching cables together. I then connected terminals and IACV wires and let it idle for five minutes. I still have P0505 pending from my foxwel scan tool. Thanks in advance.
car info: 1998 Honda civic lx auto transmission.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: P0505 pending after replacing IACV.

UPDATE: I realized I needed to check certain things prior to my next startup. According to my Chilton manual, I need to check certain items off before I try to do a idle learn.
They are: " 1.The MIL light has not been on or flashing. 2. Ignition timing is within specification. 3. Spark plug condition is within specification. 4. Air cleaner condition is acceptable. 5. PCV system is functioning properly. "
I did adjust the timing down to 12 degrees. The plugs are used and the air cleaner is new. I did replace the PVC valve when I was reassembling the head to the engine.
The manual states that all electrical accessories should be off and heater is in the full cold position. Start the engine and hold the engine speed to 3000 rpms and allow it to warm up until the cooling fan turns on, then let the
engine idle. Connect a tachometer and then disconnect the 2 pin elec connector to the IAC valve. If the idle speed must be adjusted, only turn the adjusting screw 1/4 turn at a time and then check the tachometer for any change.
Once the procedure is done turn off the engine and reset the PCM by removing the backup fuse (7.5 amps). Reconnect the IAC valve and the maybe the car will be ready for a drive cycle. The only issue is I have a three pin
electrical connector to the IAC valve. I will run the engine again tonight to see if the MIL comes back on again or sets a code. My last run was with the IAC valve connected and I added fuel as well. Thank you in advance.