Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

overflowing reservoir help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default overflowing reservoir help

Engine: B16A

my engine had overheated before. a bunch of coolant had exhausted out of one of tha smaller coolant lines in tha rear of tha engine.

i replaced those smaller lines with some hosing from AutoZone or whatever.

then i found a leak comin' from my upper (feed) heater hose. i replaced both upper (feed) and lower (return) heater hoses with New Honda OEM ones.

later, i replaced my radiator with a New 2" all-aluminum radiator from eBay. all was good. replaced cap with a New one from Pep-Boys.

later, i swapped that engine into another car. before i dropped tha engine in, i bought a New IT-R water pump and belt. i bought a New thermostat and seal from AutoZone. i bought a New Honda OEM IT-R upper radiator hose and a New Honda OEM B-series lower radiator hose (for hydro-tranny). i stuck with my 2" all-aluminum radiator, from eBay. since my temp' sensor and fan switch seemed to be faulty, i replaced that with used, but working, ones. bought, yet, another New radiator cap from Pep-Boys

reservoir would always overflow.

i put my original .75" OEM radiator (from 2nd car) back on to try with this engine (B16A). it was a little bit better. still after a while, reservoir would overflow.

i bought a New 1.5" Mishimoto aluminum radiator. reservoir still overflows. bought a New radiator cap from Kragen again. still overflows.

i just bought a 1.35 (instead of 1.1 kg/cm2) Spoon radiator cap. it helped very, very little.

keep in mind, that while there is a problem with my coolin' system, i can't drive past 3-3.5k rpm on my s1 tranny. otherwise, tha reservoir overflows even sooner.

so, what are your suggestions. i'm already pissed at how much i've spent, and still no help. will you guys only be confirmin' that i should check my HG? if so, D'OH!!!

thanks,
_taF
Old 11-10-2006, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: overflowing reservoir help (tallazzFilipino)

have a leak down test preformed it will you lot why it is doing that.blown headgasket whatever?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overflowing reservoir help (f20b eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by f20b eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have a leak down test preformed it will you lot why it is doing that.blown headgasket whatever?</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks.

i think that will come after. only because, i'm on a time-restraint and have to hurry back. i'm stuck out of town for this.

i'll be takin' tha head off anyway, because of oil that has been leakin' between tha head and tha block, for some time now. my dad doesn't want me to put tha head back on till i get it checked for warpness, and to get a valve-job. i guess i'll be takin' it to tha shop for a 3-angle. i mean, it only helps.

we'll see if this helps any. i hope it helps a few other problems i'm havin' with my engine like tha detonatin' sound after 4-5k rpm and my rpm needle flyin' all over tha gauge at that same 4-5k rpm. power-loss.

_taF
Old 11-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

leak down it, did you try to re bleed it
Old 11-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overflowing reservoir help (qfast817)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by qfast817 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">leak down it, did you try to re bleed it</TD></TR></TABLE>
i've rebled it so many times; so many ways. i've even had it done at a radiator shop. radiator shop has no clue, either.

_taF
Old 11-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bleed the air out of the system. I had the same problem. I thought i bled the system good until i just rebled it again and the problem went away. Let it warm up and do it just watch out for the hot coolent. Let it sit until all the air is out the system.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overflowing reservoir help (stealth50k)

Check your radiator cap seal, which usually causes a leak if worned out. I found out about this after taking my car to a shop, the guy removed the seal, knowing nothing about hondas, in result a leak. Never going back to that guy. Check the radiator cap and see if their is a seal under it, if not, get one. I had to make a custom one by cuting some old rubber. Dam cheap mechanics dont know jack.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overflowing reservoir help (stealth50k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealth50k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bleed the air out of the system. I had the same problem. I thought i bled the system good until i just rebled it again and the problem went away. Let it warm up and do it just watch out for the hot coolent. Let it sit until all the air is out the system.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks.

i've bled it till no air runs out of tha bleeder valve. i usually go through 2-3 prestone bottles, just to make sure. i turn my heater on all tha way when i do this. then i run tha engine so it gets hot that my fan turns on at least twice, and all tha air bubbles out. then i turn engine off and fill up to fill neck and shut. there's no air.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lek9l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check your radiator cap seal, which usually causes a leak if worned out. I found out about this after taking my car to a shop, the guy removed the seal, knowing nothing about hondas, in result a leak. Never going back to that guy. Check the radiator cap and see if their is a seal under it, if not, get one. I had to make a custom one by cuting some old rubber. Dam cheap mechanics dont know jack.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks,

my first post was maybe a bit lengthy, but i've gone through 3 different radiators (2 diff aluminum radiators), and about 6 (4 with tha final radiator) brand new radiator caps. my last one bein' a Spoon 1.35 kg/cm2 cap (instead of 1.1). tha seals are good. i always rub some coolant over them before screwin' them in, just like you do with an oil filter seal.

i'm sure i have a bad HG. i've been havin' oil leaks from tha head for tha longest time. after 4k rpm, there is a huge power loss and lots of detonatin' sound (popping). tha rpm after 4k goes haywire. as soon as we can, we'll test compression.

i'm busy tryin' to get my 1" MC to hook up. it sux that one of tha lines is too small to bolt right up.

_taF