Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Over reving a motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over reving a motor?

I know if you down shift into the wrong gear you can over rev your motor and expletive it up, like 5th to 2nd. I'm just wonderin why it gets fucked up, and why the rev limiter doesn't help in this situation. I know when you down shift a gear you the rpm goes up and you have the better acceleration. But when you down shift from 5th to 2nd the rpms will shoot to redline, and is it because of the high rpm that causes the engine to keep rotating and causeing the over revved situation, which ends up destroying the motor. And I have misshifted a couple of times in a race or even normal driving and when i'm shifting at about 8000 rpm (b16a) and misshift the rev limiter protects me, but if i missshift like that can i ever over rev causing engine damage?????

When i watch a dvd like "Best Motoring" and when i watch the drivers race and shift, they almost ALWAYS hit the rev limiter before shifting into the next gear. So i'm assuming its fine, but can the rev limiter ever fail me ???
Old 03-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Over reving a motor? (aallbbeerrtttttt)

If you misshift from 3rd (8000) to 4th (going into 2nd instead) no limiter will save you.

Limiters cant stop transmission movement, the car will over rev if your ratios are going higher then your engine, and thats how motors are blown.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aallbbeerrtttttt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. dont hit the rev limiter
2. shift before your limiter
3. learn how to shift so you dont mis-shift</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 03-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Over reving a motor? (Luserkid)

Yeah sorry about that i know it was confusing and not written well, I had trouble reading it myself. Well obviously, I don't plan on hitting the limiter. I've been driving stick for 6 years. I know how to drive, its not my first time driving a manual transmission car. I was just wonderin cuz I read other peoples posts about how they misshift and down shift into the wrong gear and expletive things up! And I wanted to know why it happens and if i can do some serious damage by just a regular misshift UP into the next gear. Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-10-2006, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Over reving a motor? (hondadriver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondadriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
When i watch a dvd like "Best Motoring" and when i watch the drivers race and shift, they almost ALWAYS hit the rev limiter before shifting into the next gear. So i'm assuming its fine, but can the rev limiter ever fail me ???</TD></TR></TABLE>

These are race cars, normally run one two or three tiems the rebuilt.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Over reving a motor? (Hondaciv95VX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondaciv95VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

These are race cars, normally run one two or three tiems the rebuilt. </TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly, you will be fine with your stock motor. most of the noobs that drive my car and put it in second instead of fourth,they at least push the clutch back in real fast before the motor revs too much. i remember when i was trying to blow up a d15, i would be on the highway doing 90, and put it in first and just slap the clutch out and it made all kinds of revving noises, and it was kinda like need for speed because the car would rev and the temp gauge would slowly move towards hot. it had a blown head gasket though.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Over reving a motor? (Hondaciv95VX)

I bang off the rev limiter all the time, it's not really going to hurt the engine.

What happens when you miss shift, is that the rev limiter just cuts fuel or spark depending on the car. It doesn't stop the rotation of the motor or disconnect it from the trans. When you're going down, and go down way to low a gear, and let out the clutch, the motor will still spin faster than the redline, because it's connected to the wheels through the transmission. It'll still cut the fuel off, but it can't protect the motor from doing 10,000 RPM.