Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OT: Florida light law????

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Florida light law????

Might be kinda the wrong forum to post this, but it's pretty active so someone's sure to know. Anyway, a friend of mine and I got pulled over in St. Petersburg FL and the cop proceeded to tell us (and ticket us) that a new FL says that ANY aftermarket light (HID, xenon, neon, altezza, fogs, etc) is illegal. I guess if you blow a headlight, you can't replace it now. Anyway, seems targeted directly at the import crowd, rice or not, and totally unfair. But opinion aside, can anyone verify this crap?

I'm pissed.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: Florida light law???? (civicdisobedience)

maybe he was referring to aftermarket "show" lights that aren't street legal. alot of lights and foglamps you see in magazines or ads are for show only and its printed so small you can't see it!
I don't think altezzas can be illegal or those other ones that are kinda florescent looking. alot of the new cars come standard with those.
So if you buy a BMW or a Lexus....you can't drive in FL? I would check the law and see exactly what kind of lights your friend has.....it may not be legit.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:54 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OT: Florida light law???? (CivicGirl114)

I hate cops - I get pulled over every other day - well, almost!
Old 01-08-2002, 11:55 AM

maybe he was referring to aftermarket "show" lights that aren't street legal. alot of lights and foglamps you see in magazines or ads are for show only and its printed so small you can't see it!
I don't think altezzas can be illegal or those other ones that are kinda florescent looking. alot of the new cars come standard with those.
So if you buy a BMW or a Lexus....you can't drive in FL? I would check the law and see exactly what kind of lights your friend has.....it may not be legit.
The cop said it didn't even matter if they had a DOT number on them or not. If it didn't come that way, it's illegal. A differen't cop I talked to said that altezzas were just a way to get aroud the "clear tailight law". In addition...white lights behind the rear wheels are illegal, a blue/red alarm led is illegal (even if you cant physically be in the car with it on, much less driving it), a blue or red bulb is illegal even if it isn't lit (with the exception on tailights), and neon lights are borderline..some cops will let it slide if you can't see the tubes, others just throw the book at you. Its still bullshit, even if its just the things that I can confirm above. Its just the principal of the thing, all I have is a pair of fog lights, but I hate too see the import crowd and all my friends picked on for their cars. Maybe we should form some union or something...ok, maybe not.Sorry, I'm done
Old 01-08-2002, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok....most of those things I can understand being illegal.
BUT what did your friend have on his car or your car(not sure who's car, you didn't state) that was illegal? altezzas? clear lenses?

[Modified by CivicGirl114, 4:01 PM 1/8/2002]
Old 01-08-2002, 12:13 PM

ok....most of those things I can understand being illegal.
BUT what did your friend have on his car or your car(not sure who's car, you didn't state) that was illegal? altezzas? clear lenses?

[Modified by CivicGirl114, 4:01 PM 1/8/2002]
Not my car...yet...but he had Xenon bulbs and white windshield wiper nozzles...here's the law that was cited

1) No person shall have for sale, sell or offer for sale for use upon or as a part of the equipment of a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer or use upon any such vehicle any headlamp, auxiliary or fog lamp, rear lamp, signal lamp, or reflector, which reflector is required hereunder, or parts of any of the foregoing, which tend to change the original design or performance, unless of a type which has been submitted to the department and approved. The foregoing provisions of this section shall not apply to equipment in actual use when this section is adopted or replacement parts therefor.

(2) No person shall have for sale, sell, or offer for sale for use upon or as a part of the equipment of a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer any lamp or device mentioned in this section which has been approved by the department unless such lamp or device bears thereon the trademark or name under which it is approved so as to be legible when installed.

(3) No person shall use upon any motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer any lamps mentioned in this section unless said lamps are mounted, adjusted, and aimed in accordance with instructions of the department.

(4) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

But I'm hearing that it's been changed to one warning and then $80 moving violation and 2 frickin pts!!!
Old 01-08-2002, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Two words to get around it.... Dealer Installed.... even though it isn't, I'm sure everyone here has a hook-up at the dealer and get a service receipt.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:48 PM

Default Re: OT: Florida light law???? (MrDX)

I'm not a cop.....but I think the cop didn't have to pull you over if he didn't want to. My brother had an ef that was lowered, greddy exhaust, nothing special; but always got pulled over because he said the cops were looking for something else-drugs, dui that type of ****. other cops I think have a chip on they're shoulder and love ******* with kids. Maybe he didn't get any the night before
Old 01-08-2002, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: Florida light law???? (greyeg)

(3) No person shall use upon any motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer any lamps mentioned in this section unless said lamps are mounted, adjusted, and aimed in accordance with instructions of the department.
so are they adjusted, mounted, and aimed properly....it doesn't say you can't have them on, period...just that they have to be mounted properly, and so they don't blind everyone else on the road.

My advice: go to court and fight this ticket!!! can't hurt you if you lose, you'll just have to pay it that's all.
I just think the cop pulled you over to be a dick and the "light thingy" was the only violation he could think to give ya!
sorry about it good luck in court!!
Old 01-08-2002, 01:09 PM

I agree with you guys 100%. They ARE looking for drugs and DUI, but in reality I can say that at least around here, those "lit up" cars rarely contain them. I never drive drunk and I don't do drugs, but cops think I do and when I don't it shrinks their ***** and they have to have a power trip. Hell, I was pulled over for speeding once and got 5 tickets...20 mph over, blue reverse lights (ok, probably deserved that), NOT having white reverse lights (WTF??), cracked drivers liscense (wtf again???), and a noise violation (Didnt turn the NWA CD all the way down when he walked up, whoops! but it was still a far cry from being audible from 100'). This was all after I got a lecture and an inspection of my car's exterior. Pissed me off big time. Talk to a cop sometime, and you'll see how openly they admit to profiling us.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats the second reason you dont get altezza's the first one being that theyre ugly.
I think that you can fight it and actually win but go prepared dont go in there not knowing anything of the law. I know that in AZ they dont stop those clowns with those pathetic looking apc **** but if you have the clears they can. The cop can pretty much stop you for anything wether you choose to fight it is on you!