Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ok... tranny noise....yes i search....im confused

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok... tranny noise....yes i search....im confused

Ok guys, here is my problem.... it started to make a noise when it was in neutral and would go away when the clutch was pushed in( i thouhgt this was throwout bearing but ive been told it is, and have been told its something else) Now i hear a noise when im driving..... and not sure if its just the throw out bearing getting louder or not....

I bought a new clutch and took it to a place to install it for 310 + my parts.... He just called me and told me the noise that goes away when you push in the clutch in not a throw out bearing, and it'll be 450 + parts and he is not sure what parts need replacing so he doesnt know how much parts will cost.

I have search and i keep finding differnt answers some say it is throw out bearing and some say it is now.....

I appreciate all the help guys.... I dont really have 450 + parts to spend on my car right now, how much does a used EX tranny usually cost? Thanks
Old 03-17-2004, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Ok... tranny noise....yes i search....im confused (organiz3d_chaos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by organiz3d_chaos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much does a used EX tranny usually cost? Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Alot less than what he quoted. Dump the tranny and get an EX.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Its the ******* $25 ISB. Who the **** told you it was a throwout bearing?

Symptoms of Bad ISB: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=590820

Replacement: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=596873

oh yeah..and... <FONT SIZE="10">SEARCH y0!</FONT>
Old 03-17-2004, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Ok... tranny noise....yes i search....im confused (BauleyCivic)

i search and found a few that say its throw out bearing..... and quite a few people i have talked to said that when the noise goes away when clutch is pushed in is tob
Old 03-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Risky Business

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by organiz3d_chaos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i search and found a few that say its throw out bearing..... and quite a few people i have talked to said that when the noise goes away when clutch is pushed in is tob</TD></TR></TABLE>

The people that you talked to must have the IQ of a paintbrush. Tsk tsk...i've personally done two ISB's and I've had friends that have done a few others...
Old 03-17-2004, 11:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The people that you talked to must have the IQ of a paintbrush. Tsk tsk...i've personally done two ISB's and I've had friends that have done a few others...</TD></TR></TABLE>

then whats the symptoms of a tob going bad?
Old 03-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Risky Business

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by organiz3d_chaos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
then whats the symptoms of a tob going bad?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your transmission flies off the block and into oncoming traffic.

Honestly, I don't know.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:35 AM

So the noise i hear when im driving is the isb as well?? it gets quieter when i let off the gas....
Old 03-17-2004, 11:37 AM
Risky Business

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by organiz3d_chaos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So the noise i hear when im driving is the isb as well?? it gets quieter when i let off the gas....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you read my symptoms thread? Clearly not...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by My Symptoms Thread that you havent looked over yet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Okay, so heres the deal. Earlier tonight I noticed a clicking noise coming from the left front area of my car. The clicking only happened in 1st gear between 1,000 and 2,000 RPM. I figured...bad axle right?
Apparently not. My friend and I went and drove my car around in a parking lot and heard the clicking noise and noticed that it went away when the clutch was depressed, regardless of if it was going around a turn or not...so...transmission?

Other observations:
The transmission is louder and whinier than before at higher RPM (3-4k)...
At idle, when the clutch is depressed, the engine idles fine, when the clutch is let up (car is in N) the engine starts to idle rougher and a faint clicking noise can be heard.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-17-2004, 11:39 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

ISB is so damn easy to replace, it's just hell pulling the tranny IMHO. I went ahead and replaced all the bearings, seals, and oil guides while I was in there on my S1 tranny [totalled like $300 in parts]. Smooth as silk now...
Old 03-17-2004, 11:56 AM

Default Re: (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ISB is so damn easy to replace, it's just hell pulling the tranny IMHO. I went ahead and replaced all the bearings, seals, and oil guides while I was in there on my S1 tranny [totalled like $300 in parts]. Smooth as silk now...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think im just gonna try and find an ex tranny instead of dumping money into the lx tranny
Old 03-17-2004, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (organiz3d_chaos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by organiz3d_chaos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i think im just gonna try and find an ex tranny instead of dumping money into the lx tranny</TD></TR></TABLE>

You won't regret it -
Old 03-17-2004, 12:55 PM

Default Re: (civicminded92)

i just have to find one around here.....
Old 03-17-2004, 02:15 PM

hey bro its the throwout bearing. that happened to me before with my old d15. when the clutch is pushed in the grinding sound goes away, and when its in nuetral it makes a grinding sound. just change the bearing and itll be fine.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, I had the same problem on my EK and it was the Main Input Shaft bearing. The same exact symptoms too! I heard it's very common for d-series trannies, if I were you I'd might as well get an EX tranny but replace that bearing before you slap the tranny on the motor. The bearing is like a $20 part at Honda.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:25 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: Ok... tranny noise....yes i search....im confused (00fbpitr54)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00fbpitr54 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey bro its the throwout bearing. that happened to me before with my old d15. when the clutch is pushed in the grinding sound goes away, and when its in nuetral it makes a grinding sound. just change the bearing and itll be fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it's not. The throwout bearing is ENGAGED when the clutch is DISENGAGED [or pushed in]. The throwout bearing is bad when you have a noise when the clutch pedal is pushed in and no noise when the clutch pedal is out.

Since his makes a noise when the clutch pedal is out, his motor is turning the main shaft in the transmission, therefore causing the main shaft bearing to make noise. When you push the clutch in, the main shaft stops spinning, therefore stopping the noise.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Ok... tranny noise....yes i search....im confused (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, it's not. The throwout bearing is ENGAGED when the clutch is DISENGAGED [or pushed in]. The throwout bearing is bad when you have a noise when the clutch pedal is pushed in and no noise when the clutch pedal is out.

Since his makes a noise when the clutch pedal is out, his motor is turning the main shaft in the transmission, therefore causing the main shaft bearing to make noise. When you push the clutch in, the main shaft stops spinning, therefore stopping the noise.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and according to BauleyCivic the guy that said its the throw out bearing has the iq of a paint brush........
Old 03-17-2004, 06:12 PM
Risky Business

Default Re: Ok... tranny noise....yes i search....im confused (00fbpitr54)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00fbpitr54 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey bro its the throwout bearing. that happened to me before with my old d15. when the clutch is pushed in the grinding sound goes away, and when its in nuetral it makes a grinding sound. just change the bearing and itll be fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is the kind of bad information that pisses me off about HT. Because of people like you, he paid all of this money for a clutch and new TOB only to realize that it didnt fix his problem. Jump off a cliff
Old 03-17-2004, 06:22 PM

INPUTSHAFTBEARING
Old 03-17-2004, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bauley knows his tranny stuff! My ISB is going bad as well.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:01 PM

yep its the pilot bearing, dont drive it much cuz it will being to war your input shaft, get that fixed asap happened to me also
Old 03-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its the ******* $25 ISB. Who the **** told you it was a throwout bearing?

Symptoms of Bad ISB: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=590820

Replacement: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=596873

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Input Shaft Bearing ****

I think its his throwout bearing...but thats what I think. Bauly is most likly right. Much more right than I
Old 03-17-2004, 08:27 PM

my clutch is starting to slip right now n e way(160,000... i know u got 156,000) .... and its not installed in the car yet..... thanks....

edit: from the beging i wondered how it could be the "throw out bearing" unless it was just a wierd named part......i gotta find a ex/si tranny(oklahoma sucks)
Old 03-17-2004, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostedcivichatchbacksi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivichatchbacksi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yep its the pilot bearing, dont drive it much cuz it will being to war your input shaft, get that fixed asap happened to me also</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know what the hell you are trying to say, but whatever it is it's probably wrong information.

To the original poster, replace your Input Shaft Bearing. This really does seem to be a common problem with D-series transmissions. Go to honda, buy your ISB, replace it, and enjoy your smooth and quiet transmission
Old 03-18-2004, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I concur; it's your ISB.

It is NOT your pilot bearing, nor your throw out bearing. People need to quite speculating so much.

This seems to be a common problem among D-series trannies. I currently have one going out on me as well.