Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

tranny making noise when in nuetral

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny making noise when in nuetral

well i dont really know if this is normal or what but i can hear my tranny like scratching some sort but when i push in my clutch it stops and when i release it comes back again its like a grinding but not quite its more like a scratching can some help
Old 10-05-2006, 05:39 PM

Default Re: tranny making noise when in nuetral (puertoroc7976)

THROWOUT BEARING MAY BE GOING...
Old 10-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny making noise when in nuetral (JDM94EG28)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM94EG28 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">THROWOUT BEARING MAY BE GOING... </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-06-2006, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: tranny making noise when in nuetral (pittbullracer)

NO ITS NOT THE THROWOUT BEARING!!!!!

Listen to me very carefully, when you PRESS the clutch pedal DOWN, the throwout bearing starts working. THATS when you say, yeah so the throwout bearing is bad.

When you RELEASE the clutch aka not depressed...in neutral and the noise starts, then there is a failing bearing INSIDE the tranny. Very common on D and B series transmission is the mainshaft aka input shaft bearings.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny making noise when in nuetral (Runnerdown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Runnerdown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NO ITS NOT THE THROWOUT BEARING!!!!!

Listen to me very carefully, when you PRESS the clutch pedal DOWN, the throwout bearing starts working. THATS when you say, yeah so the throwout bearing is bad.

When you RELEASE the clutch aka not depressed...in neutral and the noise starts, then there is a failing bearing INSIDE the tranny. Very common on D and B series transmission is the mainshaft aka input shaft bearings.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually ******** its most likely the throw out bearing. dont get pissy with peopel trying to give you advice. when you depress the clutch your putting pressur eon the bearing therefore the noise goes away. when you release the clutch pedal the throw out bearing is still against the pressur eplate and spinning with the engine but not any pressur eon it which is when it shows its self and makes that scratchign noise your describing.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My guess is its your axle. same thing happened to me and i also thought it was my through out bearing. turned out to be my drivers side axle.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny making noise when in nuetral (Russell K.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Russell K. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd put my money on the input shaft bearing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

As would I.

It's very common for people to knee-jerkedly think it's a throwout bearing issue in these type of cases - but it's also common for the shaft bearing to be bad and clutch engagement/disengagement results in a load/no load situation with noise symptoms like OP is asking about. In fact, disengaging the clutch from the flywheel via the pressure plate (which is what happens when you push in the clutch pedal) will transfer load onto the throwout bearing - since it is at this point direct contact occurs. OP points out that when he "pushes in the clutch pedal" this is when the sound *goes away*.

I vote front input shaft bearing.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

put it in neutral, let the clutch out. If sound persists, ISB or mainshaft bearing.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: tranny making noise when in nuetral (Turbo-LS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-LS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually ******** its most likely the throw out bearing. dont get pissy with peopel trying to give you advice. when you depress the clutch your putting pressur eon the bearing therefore the noise goes away. when you release the clutch pedal the throw out bearing is still against the pressur eplate and spinning with the engine but not any pressur eon it which is when it shows its self and makes that scratchign noise your describing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok there ace
Old 10-09-2006, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny making noise when in nuetral (puertoroc7976)

I would check the throwout bearing,pilot, if they look good sorry mainshaft bearring hondas are known for going bad let me know if you need any info on taking the trans apart.