Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil filter will NOT budge! Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter will NOT budge! Ideas?

Never thought a routine oil change would be so difficult. I've tried every trick in the book to get the oil filter off of my jdm b16 sol with no luck. Things i've tried so far.

-Bare hands
-Oil filter wrench
-Screwdriver trick
-Hose clamp trick

I've tried just about everything. It's impossible for me to get a razor blade in there so that's out of the picture and I can't start the car due to the screwdriver trick. Anyone have an idea of what my next option is besides dropping the motor lol
Old 08-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil filter will NOT budge! Ideas?

wow . . . all out of tricks . . . take the intake manifold off and buy a new intake gasket . . . should give you plenty of room to try all the tricks again.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why doesn't the screw driver thing work? Did it just rip the filter up or do you not have enough room to turn it? Have you tried the screw driver trick from up top? Reach behind the intake manifold.

Have you tried a large pair of channel locks?

I did have an oil filter ONE time get stuck bad enough that the screw driver trick just ripped it apart. I had to stick a long, solid metal bar down to the oil filter from up top. Then hammer one edge of the filter downward...it eventually started to turn.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the screwdriver just ripped the filter. I had about two inches to turn the filter from the bottom and instead of turning it just ripped a two inch whole. Please tell me that the filter turns the same way a nut would. Counterclockwise, lefty loosey? I'm going to buy an oil filter socket set from harborfreight tomorrow and see if that will work.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 08-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I wish I had that much room lol
Old 08-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It all depends I had an oil filter on a sentra that wouldnt come off. I used all the tricks and in the end wound up basically shredding off the rest of the filter and used the tips of a pair of needle nose pliars to convince it off (IE I stuck the tips on the holes that go around). If you have a harbor freight for about 8 bucks they have a locking pair of filter pliars very similar to a pair of vise grips.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by OmgDelSol
Yeah I wish I had that much room lol
this is what I use, it's a wrench that clamps onto the sides of the filter, you then use a 3/8" wrench to lock into the middle (square drive). As you ratchet to the left (lefty loosey) the jaws clamp down and turns the filter. Best oil filter clamp I've ever had!

OEM brand, import car filter wrench, part number 25128 got it at autozone

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=297190_0_0_
Old 08-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lisle also makes one of those. I am not sure how much gripping it will do with a screw driver shredded housing.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:16 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Was gonna say if you had not shredded the filter housing with that stupid screwdriver trick (rarely works and makes things that much more difficult) you could go buy the c-clamp wrench. My favorite by far when I was working at the lube shops in the pit. I just picked mine up at princess auto for 9.99 I think. My bad, 14.99 http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/E...ench/8002216.p

The one this person posted:
Originally Posted by oneheadlight
Now you're stuck with a big *** pipe wrench or large channel locks like HondaPartsHero posted a pic of.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:27 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you gone by the parts store and found one of the plastic things that looks like a socket that goes over the end?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what I use, best tool I ever bought. Haven't found a single oil filter that it won't remove.

http://m.sears.com/craftsman-univers...p-02820523000P
Old 08-27-2014, 07:48 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by 1999 Civic Si
This is what I use, best tool I ever bought. Haven't found a single oil filter that it won't remove.

http://m.sears.com/craftsman-univers...p-02820523000P
That's funny, we had that at the shop I was at and I could not stand that one. It always slipped off the filters while the c-clamp cinched into the metal casing and never failed, even on dry gasketted filters from uneducated home oil changes .
Old 08-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

I have the exact one that TomCat mentioned from Princess Auto. I'll never complain again about an oil change.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
That's funny, we had that at the shop I was at and I could not stand that one. It always slipped off the filters while the c-clamp cinched into the metal casing and never failed, even on dry gasketted filters from uneducated home oil changes .
It was recommend to me by a buddy who use to be a honda technician, he always told me to tilt the tool slightly so it can dig into the filter. That's what I do and hasn't slipped off a filter yet.

I actually used it on my moms Harley Davidson, because the filter was stuck on it. I was using that tool and a breaker bar on it (had to hold the bike because it was rocking it so much) because the filter was stuck on there so tight from the Harley dealership, didn't even slip off from doing that.

I am sure the one you use/reccomended works just fine, I had looked into that one before, but I went with the one that was reccomended to me by my buddy.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have 2 of the ones deschlong and TomCat refer to. (Big and small) but again if you cant get a good grip on the filter, and there is still some housing, harbor frieght sells a locking visegrip filter wrench

http://www.harborfreight.com/http-ww...6568-html.html

or this

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-...nch-36778.html
Old 08-28-2014, 05:35 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by 1999 Civic Si
It was recommend to me by a buddy who use to be a honda technician, he always told me to tilt the tool slightly so it can dig into the filter. That's what I do and hasn't slipped off a filter yet.

I actually used it on my moms Harley Davidson, because the filter was stuck on it. I was using that tool and a breaker bar on it (had to hold the bike because it was rocking it so much) because the filter was stuck on there so tight from the Harley dealership, didn't even slip off from doing that.

I am sure the one you use/reccomended works just fine, I had looked into that one before, but I went with the one that was reccomended to me by my buddy.
Good tips for that style filter wrench.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Was gonna say if you had not shredded the filter housing with that stupid screwdriver trick (rarely works and makes things that much more difficult) you could go buy the c-clamp wrench. My favorite by far when I was working at the lube shops in the pit. I just picked mine up at princess auto for 9.99 I think. My bad, 14.99 http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/E...ench/8002216.p
Well luckily the whole filter isn't shredded. I can still get my wrench on it, just can't get a good enough grip or enough leverage.

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
have you gone by the parts store and found one of the plastic things that looks like a socket that goes over the end?
Yeah i've bought 2 different types of wrenches from autozone. I didn't buy the cap that you speak of because I was unsure if it was the correct size.\

I'm thinking the one that attaches to a ratchet is my best bet or the "vice-grip" locking wrench could possibly work.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:25 AM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by OmgDelSol
Well luckily the whole filter isn't shredded. I can still get my wrench on it, just can't get a good enough grip or enough leverage.

Yeah i've bought 2 different types of wrenches from autozone. I didn't buy the cap that you speak of because I was unsure if it was the correct size.\

I'm thinking the one that attaches to a ratchet is my best bet or the "vice-grip" locking wrench could possibly work.
buy a few of them that look close, they will usually take the other ones back if they arent used
Old 08-28-2014, 11:28 AM
longest project ever

I have some original peterson vise grip sets of these, the new ones are now made in China but these will remove any filter on earth,

Vise-Grip 12LC 12-Inch Vise-Grip Large Jaw Locking Pliers - - Amazon.com Vise-Grip 12LC 12-Inch Vise-Grip Large Jaw Locking Pliers - - Amazon.com
Old 08-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you tried a strap wrench? I'm sure you can get a cheater bar on some of the thin handle type, like on the one I posted below.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://m.harborfreight.com/end-cap-o...-pc-69894.html
Old 08-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally got that pos off. Thanks a lot guys!
Old 08-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

awesome, glad you got it off there!

But you gotta tell us how it happened, the suspense is killing me!

and you're welcome for the idea about the ratcheting clamp like removal tool I had mentioned above, and yeah i think the other brand is lisle. I had tried so many removal tools it wasn't until I found this clamp/ratcheting one that Ive never had another issue..

so let us all know how it came off..
Old 08-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used a wrench like this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=344320_0_0_

It was nearly impossible to get my hands somewhere to squeeze it hard enough but after breakdancing underneath my car I finally found a position that I could grasp the pliers. The odd thing is that the gasket didn't appear to be melted to the surface at all. Someone tightened the hell out of that filter I guess. I had to squeeze the pliers so hard that the oil filter was collapsing! Maybe MOMO oil filters like to give people headaches?

Now it's time to tackle the whole Energy Suspension bushings job. Wish me luck!

Quick Reply: Oil filter will NOT budge! Ideas?