Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Are OEM Honda parts built in CHINA???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are OEM Honda parts built in CHINA???

Second OEM water pump that shop has had to install in less than 3 weeks!! First, I bought an OEM Honda pump a little over a year ago - crapped out and started leaking out the weep hole. Took my Honda in to a reputable shop that ONLY deals in OEM parts. They replaced the pump, and now the bearings went south. Had to take it back in for another OEM pump. What the hell???
Old 12-13-2013, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Are OEM Honda parts built in CHINA???

lol they told you it was OEM Honda....why don't you just DIY ? or buy the parts directly from the dealer so you know 100%. NO they're made in japan look at the label " genuine Honda parts made in japan". or the shop you took it to doesn't know what the **** they're doing.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, the first one I bought was purchased from the dealer (stealer)... the second, and now third ones, I physically saw wrapped in a Honda wrapper and all said genuine Honda part... I don't have time, I'm working on another vehicle, complete engine, tranny, swap, plus other stuff...
Old 12-13-2013, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like Honda does have plants in CHINA...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/09/bu...onda.html?_r=0
Old 12-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only different from Japan that I seen, is the same original label but with assembled in USA.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've NEVER had an issue with a OEM Honda part that I've purchased and I've spent well over 1.5K at my local dealership lol. can't even count the number of parts i've bought, everything from a valve cover bolt to seat belt buckle...you get the idea.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I could believe one defective pump. I maaaaaaaybe could believe two. But, three parts failing prematurely usually points to an issue elsewhere or an improper installation.

And on a second note, the whole "Parts made in China are inferior or junk" is kind of a thing of the past. Coming from a guy who works in automotive manufacturing, China has come a long way with their production quality in the last 10 years. There's been a push to "in-source" manufacturing back to the US because producing parts in China isn't much cheaper than doing it in the US anymore.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Dabolina
I could believe one defective pump. I maaaaaaaybe could believe two. But, three parts failing prematurely usually points to an issue elsewhere or an improper installation.
I second that. Buddy of mine with an 01 Prelude SH went through three used power steering pumps and one remanufactured pump, still crapped out after a few months, not once ever blaming the mechanic till he took it to dealership and told him the mechanic never changed the fluid, just kept recycling it.

Sounds 100% like installation error. I've seen Timken bearings destroyed in 100km due to installation error when normally they last the lifetime of the car.