Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OEM fog light question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM fog light question

Whats up, I recently sold my GSR and bought a 00 DX hatch - It has the factory fog lights. This morning I noticed they stopped working and thought someone might know how to aproach this. It rained hard on Xmas eve and I didn't drive on Xmas so I'm thinking maybe some water might have gotten to them. I recently installed my head unit so I had the lower dash under the column off, I noticed the fuse box did not have a bus for the foggs and then located a in-line fuse behind the switch - It looked fine. So, when I get out of work I'm going to try to find out whats up with these things and wondered if someone could shove me in the right direction. Should I check behind the lights ? I asume this circuit isnt complex - any info would be good, these are on a long list of things to replace but for now I'd like to use them !
Thanks !
Old 12-26-2002, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OEM fog light question (PlantedGSR)

You sure they are factory, and not "factory style" that are knock-offs? This might explain the fuse link behind the switch, and not in the fuse block where it should be.

Check the ground on the switch. Check the power wire. Check the fuse link to see if it is blown.

Yes, check behind the lights for anything loose. Are the lights full of water?
Old 12-26-2002, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OEM fog light question (Revolveu2)

I bought and installed the factory fogs on my 00 si and the fuse IS in line with the switch. When you turn them on can you hear the relay click? There is a ground wire that comes off of the relay you can check. There is also one wire in the engine bay on the pwr steering side, blue wire with a brown connector, that you could check. There is also another ground in the engine bay, its right in front of the the a/c compressor on the drivers side.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:16 PM

Default Re: OEM fog light question (turbosol)

Thanks 4 the responses - I've heard that honda doesn't have fogs for some cars and the dealer installs them to make a little xtra $$ on the side but these have a insert that fits in the two lower holes on the bumper, there round with the same "mirror" style houseing as the regular lights.

They don't have any water in them, no condensation either. I checked the 15amp mini-bus fuse behind the switch, which BTW looks just like the cruse & moonroof switch and is located in one of the three cutout holes and the fuse didn't look blown.

I'll check those grounds you ( turbosol ) mention, I have a multimeter at home that might help trace this thing out - again thanks !
Old 12-27-2002, 03:49 AM

Well , I took everything apart last night - checked ALL grounds , relay , switch and all connections. I took out the lights and even tested the connections that clip directly to the fogs and both + & ground worked. I then took apart each light houseing to see if any water had gotten in - nothing, the gasket was fine.

This is my question, I need to know a little about these bulbs. I took out both to check the filaments and they seemed ok, nothing looked broke like a reqular light would. Is it possible that both of my bulbs have blown at the same time ? from water getting into the connections ? and is it possible to "visably" see that the bulb is not good ? that seemed to be the only exsposed part of the circuit ( the last connection ) . I just don't want to go buy 2 more bulbs and have it still not work.

One more thing, I even tested the lights with the back cover off - plugged in - so power IS getting inside the light houseing.

I really don't have a clue, any ideas guys ?

Thanks !

[Modified by PlantedGSR, 4:50 AM 12/27/2002]
Old 12-27-2002, 08:03 AM

ttt any techs out there ?
Old 12-27-2002, 12:51 PM

ttt

Come on now ! I know someone here has blown a fog light !
Old 12-29-2002, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look for the brown connector beside the windshield washer bottle, it will only have one wire going to it (blue). disconnect it and jumper it directly to the battery, if the lights come on then your problem lies with the switch/relay stuff, if not then its the bulbs or that ground I described. You do know that the headlight must be on for the fogs to work? Also, turn on your headlights and push your fog light switch on and off as you do this you should hear a clicking noise coming from the relay under the dash, do you hear that clicking???
Old 01-06-2003, 07:19 PM

Default Re: OEM fog light question (turbosol)

does any one know where the red and white wire with the brown connector goes? i know it goes to the fuse box but i dont know where to insert it.