Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Odd problem need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd problem need help

Ok here's my problem: I bought a 92hatch on Friday (13). on Friday night it didn't really hesitate to start
up and ran fine all night, however i did notice a slight slowness to start. Saturday morning it cranked up
fine and ran fine all day. Sunday morning, drove it to church, then decided to go to kroger then go to mc
donalds, well I drove it to Kroger parked it handled my business,When i returned to the car it wouldn't
even turn over, so i was like wtf. I pulled this guy over and asked him did he have starter cables cause I
had left my cables in the other car, he didn't have any so we ended up pushing the car and popping the
clutch to get it started. Car started up, I decided I wouldn't go to mc donalds, so i'm pulling out of the lot
and going up the hill and the car is going like 5mph and sounded like it wanted to die and I was giving it
full throttle. finally made it onto the street and then I proceeded to put on the emergency lights but none
of the electronics were working ie:radio, windshield wipers (cause it was raining) emergency lights etc.
Then all of a sudden the car dies in the middle of the road and I end up pushing it to my church. The
battery indicator looked pretty dead so I bought a new one. Once again the car started up fine after the
new battery was installed, Car ran fine for the rest of the day then on monday on my way back from
school I noticed it started acting funny when i gave it full throttle and started what sounded like little
backfiring from the muffler (it was hard to tell from inside the car) so i drove it to my neighborhood and
let it roll down the hill in neutral into my driveway and on the way down it died. Checked the altenator and
it tested good..........Please does anybody know what the problem could be??? The only other thing I
could think of is a loose ground wire. I just want something I can enjoy............
Old 09-18-2002, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Odd problem need help (Infamous_Imports)

Symptoms sound like alternator. You say it tests good. Try this test:with the engine running, disconnect a battery cable. If the car dies, the alternator is not charging. If the car runs, the problem is elsewhere.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Odd problem need help (b19coupe)

I am also thinking it is the alternator, b/c when you give it all that gas and it doesnt want to go, I would suspect lack of spark, or an extremely weak one. I would def check your alternator before you start replacing more stuff tho.

Good Luck!!

BTW, why the hell would you buy a car on friday the 13th???
Old 09-18-2002, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Odd problem need help (Briman2021)

BTW, why the hell would you buy a car on friday the 13th???
haha

I had the same problem with a car once. It turned out to be the battery but I don't think that's your problem. Oh, well.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Odd problem need help (mycivicstooslow)

sounds like your on the right track witht the ground theory...check your engine to block ground...chassie ground and battery ground good luck
does sould like an alternator problem too but if you have a lose ground or bad connnection it would cause these symthoms too
Old 09-18-2002, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Odd problem need help (In The 16s)

Problem found. It was the altenator. Had a little jiuce to it...just not enough to keep the kaa running for long periods of time.

Infamous: you do realize that the original battery was probably still good. Better safe then sorry though...it could have been on its way out too.