Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

obd2a motor in obd1 sol... Help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd2a motor in obd1 sol... Help?

how do i rewire, and what needs to be rewired?
ive heard jdm has a vtps and american doesnt.
ckf needs to be wired.
knock needs to be wired.
second o2 needs to be wired.
is there anything else?
and how do i rewire those if need be.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd2a motor in obd1 sol... Help?

what motor r u putting in it and what harness are u using? i put the obd2 d16y8 in my sol just recently as for the knock sensor i think it depends on what motor u r using for example i used the p28 which cancels out the knock sensor but for real i cant really give u any answers unless i know what u plan on using motor? harness? year of the sol?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although there are some unknowns i can tell you it will be a lot easier just to convert to obd1
Old 05-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 94-del slo gsr
how do i rewire, and what needs to be rewired?
ive heard jdm has a vtps and american doesnt.
ckf needs to be wired.
knock needs to be wired.
second o2 needs to be wired.
is there anything else?
and how do i rewire those if need be.
You can reuse your stock delsol harness and convert the B-series to ObD-1 spec (the dizzy, altenator, injectors, iacv, will all need to be modified to run the b-series)

You can also get ahold of a obd2 (96-01) integra harness. This harness is backwards compatible with the obd1 chassis cars. This harness will completely plug and play with you obd2 b-series motor.

You are correct the JDM motors do not have a VTPS, you can either perform a wire trick to fool the ecu that there is one there, or you can just swap out the jdm vts for a usdm vtps. (the US VTPS has a two wire plug, positive and a ground) the JDM VTS has only a one wire signal.

VTPS trick: (if you do decide to trick the ecu)

Take the VTPS power wire (Blue/blk wire, orange/blue on your stock obd1 harness) and splice it into the JDM VTS. Then take the VTPS ground wire and ground it straight to the VTS body. Enjoy VTEC!

Of course if you are using the JDM OBD2 ecu you will not have to do this trick because the jdm ecu doesnt look for the VTPS.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eddie422
what motor r u putting in it and what harness are u using? i put the obd2 d16y8 in my sol just recently as for the knock sensor i think it depends on what motor u r using for example i used the p28 which cancels out the knock sensor but for real i cant really give u any answers unless i know what u plan on using motor? harness? year of the sol?
i have an obd2a JDM GSR. in my obd1 del sol. i have the obd2 GSR harness. 94 del sol. must be si because vtec is already there. i am using the obd1 chipped p28 ecu, but im not sure if the knock and ckf were programmed in during the tune.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
Although there are some unknowns i can tell you it will be a lot easier just to convert to obd1

its obd1 spec right now and runs like absolute ****. i also know you cant swap obd1 dizzy onto obd2 motor, there different angles. so now im going to go obd2 spec like it should be, and now it will be done right. so i need to know wiring, and that sort of thing.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Knownworldwide
You can reuse your stock delsol harness and convert the B-series to ObD-1 spec (the dizzy, altenator, injectors, iacv, will all need to be modified to run the b-series)

You can also get ahold of a obd2 (96-01) integra harness. This harness is backwards compatible with the obd1 chassis cars. This harness will completely plug and play with you obd2 b-series motor.

You are correct the JDM motors do not have a VTPS, you can either perform a wire trick to fool the ecu that there is one there, or you can just swap out the jdm vts for a usdm vtps. (the US VTPS has a two wire plug, positive and a ground) the JDM VTS has only a one wire signal.

VTPS trick: (if you do decide to trick the ecu)

Take the VTPS power wire (Blue/blk wire, orange/blue on your stock obd1 harness) and splice it into the JDM VTS. Then take the VTPS ground wire and ground it straight to the VTS body. Enjoy VTEC!

Of course if you are using the JDM OBD2 ecu you will not have to do this trick because the jdm ecu doesnt look for the VTPS.
i will most likely trick it, because i dont have a usdm at hand. however this ecu was programmed (chipped socketed and tuned for this motor) so would they have programmed the VTPS in/out? same with ckf, and knock. it was in an obd2 car with a jumper harness obviousely for the p28 (obd1 only)
Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its obd1 spec right now and runs like absolute ****. i also know you cant swap obd1 dizzy onto obd2 motor, there different angles. so now im going to go obd2 spec like it should be, and now it will be done right. so i need to know wiring, and that sort of thing.
Did you not read my post all?? I just told you exactly what to do.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What ecu do you plan on using?

If you use the chipped P28 then its not going to look for the CKF. Also it can be programmed not to look for the knock sensor or vtps.

If you have the JDM OBD2 P72 then you will no have to trick it because i doesnt look for it in the first place.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you not read my post all?? I just told you exactly what to do.
which is why i commented back on yours as well. yes clearly i read it, however i was reading them one at a time and replying to them. and you didnt say **** about the knock or the ckf or the second o2. only the VTPS thats one of many things that needs to be changed.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What ecu do you plan on using?

If you use the chipped P28 then its not going to look for the CKF. Also it can be programmed not to look for the knock sensor or vtps.

If you have the JDM OBD2 P72 then you will no have to trick it because i doesnt look for it in the first place.
i know the original p28 doesnt, however its chipped and socketed and tuned already (it was in an obd2 vehicle prior to mine.) so im not sure if they deleted those or kept them in.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

which is why i commented back on yours as well. yes clearly i read it, however i was reading them one at a time and replying to them. and you didnt say **** about the knock or the ckf or the second o2. only the VTPS thats one of many things that needs to be changed.
Look this is the easiest way to do it. Grab up a 96-01 US integra harness. Take out all of that mess you have now and swap in the integra harness.
Everything will plug and play.

Get a obd2a or b (depending on what year integra harness you get) to obd1 ecu jumper harness and run the p28. From there your p28 can be programmed to not look for the knock, second o2, vtps. Problem solved.

You will still need to run the power wire for the VTPS from the integra harness to the jdm VTS and ground out the other wire.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Look this is the easiest way to do it. Grab up a 96-01 US integra harness. Take out all of that mess you have now and swap in the integra harness.
Everything will plug and play.

Get a obd2a or b (depending on what year integra harness you get) to obd1 ecu jumper harness and run the p28. From there your p28 can be programmed to not look for the knock, second o2, vtps. Problem solved.
i have the teg harness but it stops at the shock towers, then i have my obd1 running through the fire wall. i might hit up a junk yard to get the through piece and do that, was already thinking about that. but didnt want to if i dont have to.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the teg harness but it stops at the shock towers, then i have my obd1 running through the fire wall. i might hit up a junk yard to get the through piece and do that, was already thinking about that. but didnt want to if i dont have to.
So you do have a US OBD2 integra harness? Great. Yes the OBD1 integra/delsol/civic harnesses were two-piece design. Simply plug up your Integra harness into the obd1 delsol shock tower plugs and viola! There will be a plug that doesnt hook up, dont worry its not supposed to.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So you do have a US OBD2 integra harness? Great. Yes the OBD1 integra/delsol/civic harnesses were two-piece design. Simply plug up your Integra harness into the obd1 delsol shock tower plugs and viola! There will be a plug that doesnt hook up, dont worry its not supposed to.
sounds good. ill hook it up, and in a couple days when my injs and alt get here ill crank it up and see how it runs.
this is my original post of problems, think itll fix them?
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/94-del-sol-obd1-obd2-gsr-swap-problems-2885213/
Old 05-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Provided everything is hooked up as it should be. Your car will run with no problems. Please note that if you have a non VTEC integra harness, you will have to wire VTEC.

As far as your coolant leak and overheating problems, that might be a different story.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Provided everything is hooked up as it should be. Your car will run with no problems. Please note that if you have a non VTEC integra harness, you will have to wire VTEC.

As far as your coolant leak and overheating problems, that might be a different story.
that **** is all wired up and good to go. the coolant and over heating were fixed, hardwired fan, and the leak was comming from the T-stat hose that runs to stock throttle body, however the skunk2 TB doesnt have that coolant port.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im saying when you switch over to the obd2 integra harness from whatever harness you are running now, if everything is hooked up as it should be, the car will run fine.

As far as the Skunk2TB, your bottom(smaller hose) running off of the IM will just be ran directly to the IACV in the back of the IM. This completely bypasses the TB altogether.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im saying when you switch over to the obd2 integra harness from whatever harness you are running now, if everything is hooked up as it should be, the car will run fine.

As far as the Skunk2TB, your bottom(smaller hose) running off of the IM will just be ran directly to the IACV in the back of the IM. This completely bypasses the TB altogether.
those are all good. but theres one hose that gets blocked off on the thermostat that it supposed to run to the throttle body. are you saying plugging it into the shock tower plugs as is? or getting a new through harness thats obd2 with a jumper harness?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

those are all good. but theres one hose that gets blocked off on the thermostat that it supposed to run to the throttle body. are you saying plugging it into the shock tower plugs as is? or getting a new through harness thats obd2 with a jumper harness?
Yes the OBD2 engine harness will plug up into the del sol harness at the shock towers. There will be a plug left over that will have no where to go. That is perfectly normal.

On your gsr thermostat housing there should be only two ports.

The bigger hose on the housing will run to the bigger port on the IM.

The smaller hose will run to the side of the head where the upper radiator hose runs to. There is a small port on that neck.

Now there should be a small port left on the IM. This would normally run to the FITV on the stock GSR TB. But the S2 TB doesnt have that port. So this hose can be ran directly into the IACV on the back of the IM. And the other port on the IACV will run back into the water pipe on the back of the block.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes the OBD2 engine harness will plug up into the del sol harness at the shock towers. There will be a plug left over that will have no where to go. That is perfectly normal.

On your gsr thermostat housing there should be only two ports.

The bigger hose on the housing will run to the bigger port on the IM.

The smaller hose will run to the side of the head where the upper radiator hose runs to. There is a small port on that neck.

Now there should be a small port left on the IM. This would normally run to the FITV on the stock GSR TB. But the S2 TB doesnt have that port. So this hose can be ran directly into the IACV on the back of the IM. And the other port on the IACV will run back into the water pipe on the back of the block.
im not worried about the coolant problem my car doesnt over heat anymore, not a big deal, those hoses are all hooked up right. but i know what your saying however the large hose has a nipple under it and that runs straight to the TB skunk two doesnt have a nipple for coolant so that gets blacked off on the t-stat. are you saying one plug on the engine harness isint used? or one of the chassis harness isint used? what is it for and why isint it used?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All of the plugs on the OBD2 harness will not plug into the OBD1 delsol harness. I can not tell you the exact function of the left over plugs without having looking atthe wire colors again. I have done this before and the car works flawlessly! Every fucntion is retained. Ask around if you want, im not going to tell you something that wont work. That would just be a waste of my time typing and your time with the harness.

Do it now and see if im not lying to you.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All of the plugs on the OBD2 harness will not plug into the OBD1 delsol harness. I can not tell you the exact function of the left over plugs without having looking atthe wire colors again. I have done this before and the car works flawlessly! Every fucntion is retained. Ask around if you want, im not going to tell you something that wont work. That would just be a waste of my time typing and your time with the harness.

Do it now and see if im not lying to you.
yeah ill try it as soon as my injs and alt come in. waiting on guy to ship them. rushed me to pay and then he sits around and doesnt rush to ship. hopefully this clears up all problems.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 09-26-2016, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know the actual differences in the harness from obd2a to obd1 for b18c1. I have a jdm obd2a b18c1 with jdm obd2a ecu. My chassis is obd1 dc2. I know the easiest way is to get a 1996 to 2001 obd2 harness and or swap everything on the motor to obd1 spec so please dont tell me what i already know. Im just curious which connectors are different and which ones need to be changed in order for the obd1 harness to work

Quick Reply: obd2a motor in obd1 sol... Help?