Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

(94 del sol obd1) with (obd2 gsr swap problems)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 (94 del sol obd1) with (obd2 gsr swap problems)

car has surging idle
jumpyness while easing onto throttle
over heating
coolant leak

fixs-
tps, calibrated to .47 closed - 4.5 WOT (did not fix jumpyness)
cleaned iac valve (did not fix surging idle)
replaced thermostat
hardwired fan from radiator, stopped over heating.
off tstat theres a big hose runs to head, off the big hose theres a nipple with no hose attached, put hose on put bolt in hose not leaking anywhere else, where does this go?

wiring-
obd1 wiring harness, seems to have extra iacv sensor? anyone know what it could be... wired obd2 dizzy with obd2 plug using http://www.phearable.net/tech/wiring/distpluglegend.jpg
using obd1 altenator
i have full obd2 wiring harness on hand, however ive been told i can not plug obd2 harness into my obd1 dash harness... havent tried... car is 45 miles away... replaced thermostat and hardwired fan from radiator, stopped over heating (as said above).

anyone have any solutions? greatly appreciated...
also ive heard obd1 have extra 02 sensor and ckf sensor that obd2 motor dont have, could this be causing problems leaving those sensors unhooked?
info from
http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/hybrid.92-95.obd2.htm
http://technet.ff-squad.com/ckftrick.htm
or am i reading this wrong, due to looking up so much my brain cant handle all this info in such short ammount of time... ive been doing hours of research so dont tell me to reaserch on my own, its been a month and now i have to break down and ask. thank you.
[/COLOR]
Old 01-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (94 del sol obd1) with (obd2 gsr swap problems)

Originally Posted by 94-del slo gsr
i have full obd2 wiring harness on hand, however ive been told i can not plug obd2 harness into my obd1 dash harness...
You absolutely can. See pics below:

also ive heard obd1 have extra 02 sensor and ckf sensor that obd2 motor dont have, could this be causing problems leaving those sensors unhooked?
info from

Other way around. OBD1 Doesn't look for that stuff.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
You absolutely can. See pics below:

i like this. great info. will take a look hopefully tomorrow and see how it goes. however i have a jdm engine harness, will that make a difference?

Other way around. OBD1 Doesn't look for that stuff.
awesome, using this obd2 jdm harness should clear up the problems then?
Old 01-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also any idea why loosning up the dizzy and turning it all the way forward all the way backwards doesnt change idle? idle screw also doesnt change anything, could it have something to do with throttle stop screw? my father messed with it thinking it was the idle screw without me telling him to, and i cant figure out where it goes back to originally.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Seagull Management

awesome, using this obd2 jdm harness should clear up the problems then?
Hold on now, if it's a RHD JDM harness then no you can't use it, its almost a mirror image of a LHD harness. Wouldn't neccessarily have fixed your problems either. My point was just that yes you can use an OBD2 LHD Integra harness in a '92 - '95 Civic or '94 - '95 Integra. And it will let you run the OBD2 distributor, injectors and alternator without having rewire anything.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:24 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

I run a OBD2 USDM GSR harness on my OBD2 JDM ITR motor in my 94 Civic CX. All plugs attached to the car fine with a few left over for the OBD2 sensors. I did have to swap a few wires around though, so have a close look at wiring diagrams for both the OBD2 GSR and the Del Sol.

I know I had to move one wire from the IAB plug (which my ITR doesn't have) to the Purge control solenoid. The EVAP purge control wiring is different from the OBD1 Civic/Sol to the OBD2 Integra.

BTW: I think the IACV plug can accidentally be swapped with another sensor on the throttlebody. So double check you've got the correct one plugged in the correct place.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW: I think the IACV plug can accidentally be swapped with another sensor on the throttlebody. So double check you've got the correct one plugged in the correct place.[/QUOTE]

tps and map sensor can be switched around, the iacv plug has an twin but i cant figure it out. cant remember wire colors either, ill take a look tomorrow and post it.

also i cant find the wiring diagrams for the obd2a jdm harness with sensor function anywhere, ive looked for 2 weeks. i was going to match them up with the obd1 and obd2a and check similiraties and differences, but i cant find either.

no one has any idea why i can turn dizzy and it not change idle or anything?
Old 01-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also will usdm obd2 harness plug into a jdm gsr... however i do believe i have the LHD harness as it was in a 97 civic coupe... LHD... so it must be LHD however i claimed it to be JDM harness because it came with JDM motor. sorry for confusion... ordered off tigerjap.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Seagull Management

also i cant find the wiring diagrams for the obd2a jdm harness with sensor function anywhere, ive looked for 2 weeks. i was going to match them up with the obd1 and obd2a and check similiraties and differences, but i cant find either
JDM vs USDM is pretty similar. JDM harness will lack a plug for evap purge and vtec pressure switch on OBD2 models. OBD1 will only be missing the evap purge plug.

also will usdm obd2 harness plug into a jdm gsr... however i do believe i have the LHD harness as it was in a 97 civic coupe... LHD... so it must be LHD however i claimed it to be JDM harness because it came with JDM motor. sorry for confusion... ordered off tigerjap.
Yes a USDM harness will plug into a JDM engine. No you can't use the harness if it came out of a '96 - '00 Civic, they use a completely different 1 piece design, they don't break off at the shock tower plugs like the '92 - '95 Civics and '94 - '01 Integras do.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes a USDM harness will plug into a JDM engine. No you can't use the harness if it came out of a '96 - '00 Civic, they use a completely different 1 piece design, they don't break off at the shock tower plugs like the '92 - '95 Civics and '94 - '01 Integras do.
so does that mean this exact motor and harness will plug up to my 94 del sol? this is the 2 piece design, however it was just in the 97 civic...still no one knows why turning dizzy does nothing?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

The harness from the EK civics won't work in the EG/Sol. EKs have a one piece harness that goes all the way to the ECU.

Get yourself a 96+ USDM GSR engine harness and sell that EK/b-series harness. You will probably make a profit anyhow. Then have a look at the wiring diagrams. I'll PM you some info on that... If your car doesn't already have VTEC, you will have to add one wire from the passenger shock tower plug down to the ECU. And you will also have to add a second wire for the IAB (2-stage intake manifold). And also check to make sure your EVAP solenoid gets wired properly.

Keep in mind that you will probably need a few other things to make the obd-2 JDM motor work in your obd-1 car. I got a US OBD-1 P28 (or vtec converted P06) ECU that's been chipped for my motor (contact Phearable.net or Kenji211). You may even have to run a US obd-1 P72 ECU to make the IAB work. Also you will need to have them bypass the VTEC oil pressure switch inside the ECU since the JDM motor doesn't have that.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Get yourself a 96+ USDM GSR engine harness and sell that EK/b-series harness. You will probably make a profit anyhow. Then have a look at the wiring diagrams. I'll PM you some info on that... If your car doesn't already have VTEC, you will have to add one wire from the passenger shock tower plug down to the ECU. And you will also have to add a second wire for the IAB (2-stage intake manifold). And also check to make sure your EVAP solenoid gets wired properly.

Keep in mind that you will probably need a few other things to make the obd-2 JDM motor work in your obd-1 car. I got a US OBD-1 P28 (or vtec converted P06) ECU that's been chipped for my motor (contact Phearable.net or Kenji211). You may even have to run a US obd-1 P72 ECU to make the IAB work. Also you will need to have them bypass the VTEC oil pressure switch inside the ECU since the JDM motor doesn't have that.
im running chipped p28 ecu that was tuned for this motor, and came out of car that had this motor in it, ran perfect in other car EK... runs like **** in mine... cant figure out jerky ness while easing onto throttle... calibrated tps using mulit meter and specs from. (see below)
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...highlight=obd2

my car prior to this gsr had a usdm gsr (it blew up) so i swapped, kepy my harness, but now it seems to be different, it had obd1 now odb2, seems as if i had 2 intake sensors on my obd1 intake and on the obd2 theres only one IACV sensor. but the second sensor seems to not have any power to it, i found out the wire colors of the one with power and without, and what seemed to have been plugged in off the ek harness...

with power - BLACK w/green stripe and Yellow w/black stripe
no power yellow w/black and Red w/black

ek harness- yellow w/black and Black w/blue

however when plugged in no power makes fast short loopy idle 1500-1650
with power makes slow long loopy idle 1500-2500 (approx) also sometimes will jump to 3000 and stay steady at 3000... maybe iacv needs replacing not just a cleaning?

still nothing on the dizzy problem eh?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump.
still need help. dizzy problem
also it looks as if i have 2 iacv sensors, cant figure out what the other is for. if i buy new harness it looks like theres only one? could this be causing a problem those two sensors fighting eachtoher maybe on the obd1 its a FICV and IACV or IAT ? kind of lost... help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

changing injectors, alternator, and harness to obd2. well see if this fixs the problem. new dizzy didnt help.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 05-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP FOR FINISHING MY CAR!
only took 5 months.
needed new injectors, alternator, and harness.
had to switch back to the obd2 set up, because the ecu was programmed for the obd2 injectors. im so happy!!!
now i just need a new crank pully to time the new dizzy!
mine doesnt have any marks on it. what a load of crap! lol
Old 05-31-2011, 01:14 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

OBD1 and OBD2 injectors are the same with exception of physical plug style.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
OBD1 and OBD2 injectors are the same with exception of physical plug style.
the plug uses a 2 wire, or a one wire. when socketed for that injector style both wires are done, therefore they are not programmed right for the other injector. sounds stupid trust me... i didnt think it would make any difference. but trust me. my car went from not being able to drive at all. to my daily driver by swappin the injectors.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:30 AM
Seagull Management

the plug uses a 2 wire, or a one wire. when socketed for that injector style both wires are done, therefore they are not programmed right for the other injector. sounds stupid trust me... i didnt think it would make any difference. but trust me. my car went from not being able to drive at all. to my daily driver by swappin the injectors.
It is stupid. They're both 2 wire and they're both saturated injectors. They're exactly the same besides the plug. If replacing the injectors solved the problem then you had bad injectors.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is stupid. They're both 2 wire and they're both saturated injectors. They're exactly the same besides the plug. If replacing the injectors solved the problem then you had bad injectors.
they werent 2 wire on my obd1 harness, they were one wire, and nope injectors were good, came out of my old motor. i wish i could find the thred that gave me the idea to change them. (i thought the same way you did) but he changed his injectors to obd2 also and his car ran much better. maybe by some freak miracle it was just a coincidence. but i dont think so. and if you seen what im talking about youd understand.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 AM
Seagull Management

they werent 2 wire on my obd1 harness, they were one wire, and nope injectors were good, came out of my old motor. i wish i could find the thred that gave me the idea to change them. (i thought the same way you did) but he changed his injectors to obd2 also and his car ran much better. maybe by some freak miracle it was just a coincidence. but i dont think so. and if you seen what im talking about youd understand.
Honda has literally never used single wire Injectors as far back as I can remember and certainly not on any '92 - '00 Civic/Del Sol/Integra. Sorry man but I'm calling BS on this.