Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

obd2 motor with obd1 components

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd2 motor with obd1 components

Alright i have been searching for a long long time trying to find help with this and i have found nothing. So i need somebody who really knows what they are talking about to help me with this, and heres the problem... I recently destroyed my b18c1 and i bought a new b18c1 obd2, not knowing the old motor was an obd1. So i need to know what all i need to transfer from the old motor into the new one so everything bolts up and works just like the old one. The old motor was turboed and i want to keep the new one turboed with all the same parts...

Heres where i sit with this project. The car idles fine but starts revving up and down when driven...it has the obd1 distributer and intake manifold, with fuel rail, precision 550cc injectors...everything thats bolted on the intake manifold basically. The only thing we noticed that wasnt working with this project was the crank sensor plug didnt work with the crank sensor on the obd2 but some techs said that wasnt needed on the swap.

So this might be a little unclear, but another problem is im in the military and the car broke down when i was home on leave, and the car is up at a shop at home who has only done a couple of honda swaps. So im trying to figure out what there telling me and not physically getting to see whats going on so im having alot of communication issues here as well. So please someone help me figure this out and if you have any questions ill gladly answer seeing as how i really need this problem fixed.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there really isn't much difference between the two, did you swap over your obd1 harness/components completely?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 PM

Default Re: (instrument)

no its got the obd1 harness and ecu and i just bought the obd2 motor. The car is turboed with a 3 bar map sensor and the ecu is tuned so thats why im trying my best to make this work without having to throw more money into it.i transferred most of the old parts onto the new motor and the only thing that didnt go with each other is the crank sensor and im not sure if thats playing a role in this or not
Old 05-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (andrewd_89)

Well I'm pretty sure that the crank position sensor was only implemented on OBD2. So if you're running the OBD1 ecu then it shouldn't even know that a CPS exists.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kyoh)

get ur car away from them as fast as possible. theres gotta b someone on here whos local and can help this man. injectors, dizzy and harness. u wont even have a plug for that crank sensor on ur harness, ignore it.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:32 PM

Default Re: obd2 motor with obd1 components (andrewd_89)

alright well heres the new updates and same problem...ecu is p72 obd2a, jumper harness, not sure what engine harness. Did the ckf bypass trick because usdm motors have a crank fluctuation sensor and a crank position sensor whereas jdm motors do not have a crank fluctuation sensor. The ecu threw a code...dont remember what he said but i think its was 21 or 22 which is vtec related. He said he tried to replace the sensor with the one off the old motor and it didnt work either, so he did a voltage check and the plug isnt getting any voltage.

what i am not clear of is if the car has to be revved to vtec engagement point for power to get to the sensor (but that would be impossible because the car wont rev over 2500). if the plug or the wire isnt the problem then why the ecu wouldnt send voltage to only that sensor.

my car has been in the shop for over a f*cking month now and this is starting to get ridiculous, and i cant personally work on it because im in the military in florida and the car is back home in illinois, so i am basically telling them what to do and i have totally run out of ideas...so if someone could help you would be a definite life saver