Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Obd2 motor, obd1 car, questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Contender25

Default Obd2 motor, obd1 car, questions

FYI i searched, and i didn't find the answers i were looking for...

Ok, so let's say i bought a 96-98 obd2 motor, wanted to use it in a obd1 92-95 civic right?. The idea is i plan on switching the distributor to a obd1 dizzy, using either obd1 D injectors or obd1 B injectors, and im not sure if there the same CC or not yet obd1 wise.

The ecu im sticking with will be a chipped p28 to stay obd1 with the car, and the obd2 IACV i plan on switching out with a obd1 IACV.

I want to know if there are any other things to look out for on the obd2 motor that i would need to switch or just not plug up since obd1 won't need it, like obviously the sensor on the crank is not needed correct?. Does the IAT sensor on the intake manifold need to be switched or is the sensor the same plug up/signal?.

One last thing, is the vtec solenoid on the head on the obd2 motors the same plug up as obd1 vtec solenoids?, and if anyone knows if the B and D series OBD1 injectors are the same or not?.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Obd2 motor, obd1 car, questions (Contender25)

hopefully the only reason why you would chanfe any of those things is so you didnt have to change out connectors on your harness but most hondas are the same anyway and the funny thing is that I just had this conversation with another guy and when you think about it look at IAC off of a obd1 and obd2 they have the same amount of wires and amazing enough more than likely they probally even have the same color code on the wire then look at a wiring diagram they all do the same thing there is no diffrence in sensors them selves. Like a IAT dosent matter if it is in the manifold or in the air duct it still has two wires one hot wire and one wire that goes to the ecu and as temp change so does the resistance in the sensor thats how it know what temp the air is so as lobg as you have the sensors and they are wired up to the right spot on the ecu. then your straight. really obd2 adds a extra 02 sensor to watch catalyst effeciency and once in closed loop or operating temp it uses data off of pre cat 02 to alter a\f ratio in terms of short term and long term fuel trim and also ob2 looks at more things like evap and on some hondas egr flow so dont worry about changing out all the sensors.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Obd2 motor, obd1 car, questions (gsrhatch2356)

so iat is intake air temp??
cause i have the plug thingy for my cai and have a plug on the right bottom side of my h22 ... im useing a dx harness ... so are they the same thing?

P.M^
Old 08-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Contender25

Bump, still looking for replys...

I put a obd0 ZC motor in a 92-95 before and everything was plug and play when i used a obd1 zc distributor with the obd1 D series INJECTORS, the only thing i couldn't use was the fan switch.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for xxslient, if you looked at a wiring diagram and saw the wires for the original motors IAT and then wired it up to the IAT on your h22 it would be exactly the same.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Contender25 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bump, still looking for replys...

I put a obd0 ZC motor in a 92-95 before and everything was plug and play when i used a obd1 zc distributor with the obd1 D series INJECTORS, the only thing i couldn't use was the fan switch. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well good luck man, but you really should try and get hold of wiring diagrams cause like I said all sensors do the same thing crank sensor produces a square wave and as long as it goes to the right pin on the ecu you are straight
Old 08-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Contender25

Yah but if i am too use a obd2 motor in a obd1 car my question was i don't have to plug everything up do i since the obd2 motor has extra plugs, some not needed from what i heard or read on here.

I want to be assured that i can use the obd1 distributor and injectors and engine harness with the motor no problems but i heard the obd2 and obd1 IACV and IAT might be differen't but some people are sayin it isn't and some are sayin it is so i guess i just sound complicated the way im coming off in my post.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I tell you what. I dont know if you know what alldata is but it has every little bit of info you could ever need for diagnosis so you let me know what motor you got and what obd1 ecu you are using and I will specs and wiring info to prove to you that there is no diffrence cause with IAT resistance goes up and down depending on air temp thats why if you have ever seen the jumpers\ resistors on ebay for 20 bucks that add 20 horsepower its cause it tricks the computer in thinking that the air is cold which means that it is more dense in return the computer will make injector pulse width longer to compensate. so just let me know.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Contender25

I planned on buying a F20B it's the 96-97 obd2, and using a obd1 chipped p28 for it, as far as my engine harness goes i wanted to know if everything can be plugged up fine besides the IAT and obd2 IACV.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude I know this is stupid cause I know that accord was the one with the f20 right? well from 96-98 all I found was the f22 so please specify model and everything so I can make sure that I am looking at the right stuff or verify that I cant get that info cause if what you have is a dohc f20 that I think was only made jdm then I wont be able to get that info usdm only but just let me know.