Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

obd1 scanning adapter

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 03:44 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 obd1 scanning adapter

i have a civic 95 MX. It had carb engine and then i swapped d15b sohc vtec witih p08. can anyone give a guide on how i can install obd1 scanning port under the dash to see error codes etc. Meter doesn't have a check engine light so a guide on installing that would also be great.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:47 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: obd1 scanning adapter

OBD1 requires the proprietary Honda Interface Module (HIM) as well as a subscription to the software.

This site has all the details for the various diagnostic tools and softwares required for the old Honda's.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/RJAAI001_tools1.asp

For the price, a light bulb wired to the correct pins of the ECU and the paper clip in the service connector is a much more economical solution.

1. Honda Diagnostic System Tablet Tester (HDS Tablet Tester)

Features:

A portable tablet tester with a 12.1-inch, high-resolution color touch screen
A digital multimeter (DMM)
A bar code scanner wand for fast VIN entry
An integrated Honda Interface Module (HIM) for vehicle communication
A docking station that incorporates expansion ports and a built-in tablet battery charger
One-year warranty from Teradyne Diagnostic Solutions, Ltd.
Ordering Information
New unit cost is $7,795* P/N TDSGDS2200
Software is not included; order the Honda Diagnostic Software Package separately.
Projected annual cost of the software package is $840.*

NOTE: You must be a current Service Express subscriber to order the tool, to subscribe to the software updates, and to get access to the latest documentation on the use of the tool. For an overview of the HDS tool, click here to view the HDS Tester User Guide.

3. Honda Diagnostic System Personal Computer (PC) Software

This software turns your laptop or desktop computer into a functional diagnostic system tool capable of reading OBD diagnostic codes.

Hardware and Software requirements (PC not included)

Honda Interface Module (HIM) New - P/N EQS05A35570 - $796*, Refurbished - P/N AHM35570101R - $642* (limited to stock on hand), refer to “Control Module Reprogramming Tools” for further details
Honda Diagnostic System Software Package (not included in cost of HIM tool)
PC with RS232 port
NOTE: You must be a current Service Express subscriber to subscribe to the software updates, and to get access to the latest documentation . For an overview , click here to view the HDS Tester User Guide.

Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) Software Package

The HDS software package includes software to program three different platforms: the HDS Tablet Tester, the Teradyne Diagnostic System Pocket Tester, and the newest addition, the HDS PC version. The software covers all vehicles from 1992 to current (except for the Honda Passport and Acura SLX**) and includes all the necessary items to monitor, diagnose, and reprogram Honda and Acura control modules.

Honda functions include:

DTC reading and clearing
Snapshot function (capture data relative to a trigger event)
Vehicle data display (value, line graph, or bar graph formats)
DLC locator diagrams
Data list display (real-time display of ECU parameters)
Onboard tutorial
Generic scan tool runs basic tests on non-Honda/Acura vehicles (HDS Tablet and Pocket Tester only)
Control module update functions (HDS Tablet and Pocket Tester only)
Hardware and software requirements:
PC or laptop with either Windows 2000 Professional (SP4 or later) or XP (SP1 or later)
Hard disk drive with at least 400MB of free space
CD-ROM drive (if a high-speed Internet connection is not available)
Type II PC card drive (HDS Tablet only)
RS232 port required to connect PC to HIM (PC version software only)
Monitor capable of displaying in VGA mode or above (1024 x 768 recommended)
Internet connection (high-speed connection recommended)
NOTE: You must be a current Service Express subscriber to order the tool, to subscribe to the software updates, and to get access to the latest documentation on the use of the tool. For an overview of the HDS tool, click here to view the HDS Tester User Guide.
Ordering the Honda Diagnostic System Software Package:

To order the HDS software package, first log on to Service Express, select “Order Diagnostic Tools,” then choose HDS Software Package.
The projected annual software package cost is $840* and for this you will get the same updates, at the same time that dealers receive them.
Software is delivered over the Internet (DSL or broadband high-speed connection recommended due to file size).
If a high-speed connection is not available, software can be supplied on a CD at no additional cost. Call Helm, Inc at 949 330-7152 to request the CD delivery option).
* Pricing subject to change without notice.
** To read diagnostic codes on Honda Passport and Acura SLX vehicles, you need the Vetronix Mastertech OBD II tester, available directly from Vetronix at 1-800-321-4889, ext 4, or check their Web site at Vetronix Corporation - Diagnostics and Telematics Solutions.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:06 AM
Trial User

I don't think that is what i was looking for. I just want to install the OBD1 adapter port where any scanner can read from. The port connects to the ecu at "Diagnostic Data Link" TXD/RXD.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by RA-d15b-vtecp08
I don't think that is what i was looking for. I just want to install the OBD1 adapter port where any scanner can read from. The port connects to the ecu at "Diagnostic Data Link" TXD/RXD.
Not possible.

OBD1 is proprietary like I said and requires a HIM.

The scanners you are talking about are ALL OBD2. That is when some basic standardization came into play with the plug type and communication requirements. Even then there are 5 different protocols (if I recall correctly) a scanner must know for OBD2.

OBD1 is very manufacturer specific for both the plug and the software, with zero standardization.

Google OBD and you may find some valuable information detailing what I have summarized here.

Then Google how to wire CEL bulb to Honda OBD1 ECU.

Good luck.

Last edited by TomCat39; 09-09-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: grammar fix
Old 09-09-2015, 10:35 AM
Trial User

Ah ok, thanks for the info. I will google more on it. I'm planning to get a chipped p28 ecu and do tuning using crome. Any advice?
Old 09-09-2015, 02:14 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<p>You can start off by telling us what country you're in that your car doesn't have an OBD1 connector, or a CEL in your cluster.</p>
Old 09-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
<p>You can start off by telling us what country you're in that your car doesn't have an OBD1 connector, or a CEL in your cluster.</p>
I am in Pakistan. May be it is due to the reason that it had carb engine before, as I told in first post.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:41 PM

<p>So you have none of the standards that we have in most countries, and may not even have what we would consider normal ECU plugs, either.</p>
Old 09-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
<p>So you have none of the standards that we have in most countries, and may not even have what we would consider normal ECU plugs, either.</p>
Engine, wiring and ecu are imports. So i think the plugs are pretty normal.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:28 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I hate to say it but there is no dlc connector for the your year civic. Easiest is to do what Tom suggested or pay a **** ton just for a reader.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:34 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by tony_2018
I hate to say it but there is no dlc connector for the your year civic. Easiest is to do what Tom suggested or pay a **** ton just for a reader.
I think if I just know how (wire colors, pin number, etc.) the obd1 service connector is connected to the ecu then I'll get the harness and wire it myself. should solve it, right?
Old 09-10-2015, 07:13 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by RA-d15b-vtecp08
I think if I just know how (wire colors, pin number, etc.) the obd1 service connector is connected to the ecu then I'll get the harness and wire it myself. should solve it, right?
It will get you the obd1 service HIM plug but not access to a scanner that works with it.

All you need to look up is the pins on the P28 ecu for the CEL/MIL bulb and then the two pins for the service connector.

I have never seen a HIM device so I am not sure just how many pins and plugs it uses. I do know that my vehicle (a CDM 95 civic) has a 3 pin plug and a 2 pin plug and it's the 2 pin we short with a paper clip to get the CEL blink codes.

It's possible the HIM uses both the 3 pin and 2 pin plug or maybe just the 3 pin plug. That's really an unknown as Honda OBD1 isn't normally "scannable" without shelling out a serious amount of cash to Honda and the Diagnostic company.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:16 AM

<p>No. &nbsp;Even if you get the plug, you still won't have the reader to plug into it. &nbsp;You'd be better served installing a CEL.</p>
Old 09-10-2015, 09:54 AM
Trial User

HIM is way too much money and I can't buy it any way... Only thing to do is install CEL and probably obd1 sevice connector to loop it with a wire and get codes. I'll google to find how to do it. If anyone knows already then please provide the guide.