Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OBD communications

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OBD communications

Pretty simple and to the point, did some searching and couldn't find much info on where to start this problem:

Car failed NJ inspection for OBD communications, the inspector told me it wasn't communicating at all, anyone know where to start assessing this problem? Couldn't this have been caused by inspector error when connecting? or have anything to do with swapping a LS cluster into my car and possibly blowing fuses (thats what some mechanic said)?

Car is a 2000 civic ex
no big mods other than intake and exhaust which where on the car when I got it inspected a few years ago. Check engine light works when tested during start up and I'm not throwing any codes.

Also the interior/trunk lights aren't working as well as intermediate wipers, could this have anything to do with this? (already checked fuse under hood for the int. lights)
Old 02-14-2006, 08:47 PM
95DxSi-R2

Default Re: OBD communications (Memnoch)

your losing bus communication from the pcm to dlc i assume
Old 02-14-2006, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD communications (95DxSi-R2)

bump for understanding this problem better and finding the solution..
Old 02-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump..
Old 02-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your dlc under your dash for the scanner has 16 pins the important ones are 4,16 one is ground and one is power cant remember off hand wgich is which but start by making sure its powered and grounded, i think 16 is power and 4 is ground
Old 02-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: OBD communications (postman)

As postman said...not much to really troubleshoot here. Make sure the socket is getting power and ground. Make sure the data line to the ECU isn't grounded/open either.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:58 PM

Default Re: OBD communications (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Memnoch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also the interior/trunk lights aren't working as well as intermediate wipers, could this have anything to do with this? (already checked fuse under hood for the int. lights)</TD></TR></TABLE>

your fuse for your int. wipers and inter light run on the same fuse....its under your drive side dash
Old 02-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD communications (Project_DX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Project_DX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

your fuse for your int. wipers and inter light run on the same fuse....its under your drive side dash </TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought the fuse for the int wipers and lights was under the hood?
My manual shows no fuse under the dash for these items...

As far as the dlc i'll look into it and update when I know more. Any info on the int. wipers and lights from anyone else?

EDIT: Are these two problems related? int wipers/lights and the failure to communicate with my OBD?
Old 02-15-2006, 01:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Memnoch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought the fuse for the int wipers and lights was under the hood?
My manual shows no fuse under the dash for these items...

As far as the dlc i'll look into it and update when I know more. Any info on the int. wipers and lights from anyone else?

EDIT: Are these two problems related? int wipers/lights and the failure to communicate with my OBD?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you asked for solutions and you got it. the fuse is under your dash, once you open the plastic thing it will show which fuse is for what
Old 02-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD communications (ZipTieGuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ZipTieGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you asked for solutions and you got it. the fuse is under your dash, once you open the plastic thing it will show which fuse is for what</TD></TR></TABLE>

What are you talking about? The manual says the fuse for the interior lights (and int. wipers which it doesnt state but I've learned there on the same circuit) is in the fuse box under the hood, I've checked all the fuses and they seem to be fine.. fuses aren't the issue here...
Old 02-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also I was gonna test the socket but my voltmeter's battery is dead.. anyway to test it without using it?
Old 02-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD communications (Project_DX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Project_DX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your fuse for your int. wipers and inter light run on the same fuse....its under your drive side dash </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ZipTieGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the fuse is under your dash, once you open the plastic thing it will show which fuse is for what</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is the schematic I posted only showing for me....or do you guys not know how to read it?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Memnoch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also I was gonna test the socket but my voltmeter's battery is dead.. anyway to test it without using it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Test light for the power and ground. And yes they would be related to each other. If you ain't got interior lights and the fuse is blown, you also don't have OBDII communications.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Memnoch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pretty simple and to the point, did some searching and couldn't find much info on where to start this problem:

Car failed NJ inspection for OBD communications, the inspector told me it wasn't communicating at all, anyone know where to start assessing this problem? Couldn't this have been caused by inspector error when connecting? or have anything to do with swapping a LS cluster into my car and possibly blowing fuses (thats what some mechanic said)?

Car is a 2000 civic ex
no big mods other than intake and exhaust which where on the car when I got it inspected a few years ago. Check engine light works when tested during start up and I'm not throwing any codes.

Also the interior/trunk lights aren't working as well as intermediate wipers, could this have anything to do with this? (already checked fuse under hood for the int. lights)</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you aren't the original owner and don't know for sure, check to make sure you ECU is OBD2. I failed from the exact same thing...turns out the previous owner went to OBD1.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD communications (professor poon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by professor poon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you aren't the original owner and don't know for sure, check to make sure you ECU is OBD2. I failed from the exact same thing...turns out the previous owner went to OBD1.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was gonna mention something about that, but an ECU is a 'bid mod' of which he said he had none.

JDM OBDII ECU's will never communicate with U.S. OBDII scantools, either.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD communications (professor poon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by professor poon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you aren't the original owner and don't know for sure, check to make sure you ECU is OBD2. I failed from the exact same thing...turns out the previous owner went to OBD1.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by memnoch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
no big mods other than intake and exhaust which where on the car when I got it inspected a few years ago</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Test light for the power and ground. And yes they would be related to each other. If you ain't got interior lights and the fuse is blown, you also don't have OBDII communications.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Test light? I don't wanna sound silly but I which light?
Maybe you can break it down for me a bit more...

Other than that your right about the int. lights and int. wipers being a related issue, which isn't a fuse..

Thanks for teh help so far..
Old 02-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 03-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

back from the dead, any help or other ideas?