Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OBD-2 question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 OBD-2 question.

Im curious if anyone has monitored data coming from the OBD-2 system and sensors.

I have technician's equipment and I am not getting nearly as much data as I was from a 98 Ford OBD-2.

Im reading no trouble codes, revolutions,engine temp and vehicle speed.

Not sure if this is because the data in this system is not as detailed as what Ive been able to read from an equal year Ford.

Just curious.

Thanx ahead of time.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD-2 question.

obd2 hondas do read live data...injector pulse, rpms, egr activity, tps %, map info, all kinds of stuff... something is wrong with your scanner or ecu
Old 05-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, my basic Actron scan tool reads all kinds of live data.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought that was the case, thanx for the replies!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i use my snap on solus and i have never had such an issue with any honda.

weird situation, either the scan tool is bad or the ecu won't communicate... OP, are you getting ANY data readouts?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very limited data. Im wondering if the obd system is shot, im only seeing 3 to 4 wires running into the OBD2 connector, witch seems a bit low to me considering its a 16 pin connection.Im also aware though that not all manufacturers make use of all the pins.

Other then that just typical dash lights, SRS,check engine light comes on for a small second then goes out before starting the engine, break and battery lights are the only others.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PID's are limited on Honda vehicles compared to the domestic Ford you mentioned. But it seems you have not even established a connection with you Data link connector.
If you have a jumper harness with older ECU the DLC will become inactive, If you have the correct OBD2 ECU then I would check that the wiring is correct, and no fuses blown
Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by THE M4CHIN3
Very limited data. Im wondering if the obd system is shot, im only seeing 3 to 4 wires running into the OBD2 connector, witch seems a bit low to me considering its a 16 pin connection.Im also aware though that not all manufacturers make use of all the pins.

Other then that just typical dash lights, SRS,check engine light comes on for a small second then goes out before starting the engine, break and battery lights are the only others.
What data are you getting....

It works or it doesn't
Not all the pin locations on the DLC will have wires going to them, Different for different makes and models, some more or less

you need to check the wiring diagrams found within the service manual to check that the wiring is consistent of those diagrams.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im reading no trouble codes, revolutions,engine temp and vehicle speed.
Punctuation

So you are getting a sane reading for RPM? That changes when you hit the gas? Then the scanner and the data connection is working, no doubt.

The supported PIDs (parameter identifiers) can vary between vehicle manufacturer and scanner manufacturer. *I'm not totally sure there is a specific set required in the OBD II standard. *AFAIK The OBD II standard is more about the ability of the on board computer itself to set the check engine light and continuously monitor the state of certain systems critical to emissions, not particularly to standardize the human interactive diagnosis part....

So, for example, I think actually your vehicle manufacturer could support absolutely zero live data PIDs, and your car would still pass emissions, and be OBD II compliant because the emissions monitors report an ALL OK status...
Old 05-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by andyz
Punctuation

So you are getting a sane reading for RPM? That changes when you hit the gas? Then the scanner and the data connection is working, no doubt.

The supported PIDs (parameter identifiers) can vary between vehicle manufacturer and scanner manufacturer. *I'm not totally sure there is a specific set required in the OBD II standard. *AFAIK The OBD II standard is more about the ability of the on board computer itself to set the check engine light and continuously monitor the state of certain systems critical to emissions, not particularly to standardize the human interactive diagnosis part....

So, for example, I think actually your vehicle manufacturer could support absolutely zero live data PIDs, and your car would still pass emissions, and be OBD II compliant because the emissions monitors report an ALL OK status...
he said no pid's, cel, etc.
It's already determined that the DLC is not active and or communicating with his scanner.

OP you need to also check your scanner and see if it a model specific to Domestic vehicles only. Even when some scanners advertise they will function with any vehicle operating on OBD2, some tend to have trouble establishing a connection with certain makes/models.

I have a 2000 Si with 2000 USDM type R ecu and live data/monitors/cel status/etc. is all active.
Although the list of Pid's are pitifull due to Honda's primitive sub-standard OBD2 implementation.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very limited data.
:
What EXACTLY does limited mean?

Im wondering if the obd system is shot, im only seeing 3 to 4 wires running into the OBD2 connector, witch seems a bit low to me considering its a 16 pin connection.Im also aware though that not all manufacturers make use of all the pins.
:
It doesn't matter the pins aren't all connected. All different parameters are transmitted over a single wire in a serial format.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: OBD-2 question.

Although the list of Pid's are pitifull due to Honda's primitive sub-standard OBD2 implementation.[/QUOTE]

My scan tool is my 3 month old laptop.

It is coming down to Honda's crappy OBD2 PID implementation.
OBD2 protocol is SAE 9141-2. I get some data, but not nearly as much as I would like, This is not because of my software or hardware, just Honda's.

Its not crazy necessary to me to get all the data, I have no MIL's. It was more about getting a computated fuel economy data.

Thanx all that replied!