Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

O2 sensor replacement: W/connector - vs universal

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor replacement: W/connector - vs universal

Car is a 99 hatch with DC header, EX cat, catback Apex-i WS. (basically an EX exhaust setup), need to replace primary 02 sensor.

http://www.sparkplugs.com has the Denso OE sensor for ~$60 and the universal for $45. Since I have an aftermarket header, I will likely have to extend the wires to reach the O2 sensor bung. Is there a difference between the two sensors besides the wiring? Should I get the OE or the Universal?

If I bought the OE EX O2 sensor, would the wires be long enough to reach from the harness to the bung?

Scratch that, EX sensor is 3x as much.

I don't want to have to do this more than once.

Thanks.

Modified by ****** at 10:32 AM 4/11/2006
Old 04-11-2006, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: O2 sensor replacement: W/connector - vs universal (******)

OE replacement? is one you have in there stock and did the wires have to be modified? Only you can tell for sure but I'd probably say yes...

OE vs Universal: Universal doesn't come with plug... The OE one that I got had the wrong plug on it though so...
Old 04-11-2006, 06:15 AM
cute little bastard

I'm pretty sure both will be long enough with/without the plug. So its your call if you feel like wiring up the plug or not
Old 04-11-2006, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: O2 sensor replacement: W/connector - vs universal (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by miahmouse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OE replacement? is one you have in there stock and did the wires have to be modified? Only you can tell for sure but I'd probably say yes...

OE vs Universal: Universal doesn't come with plug... The OE one that I got had the wrong plug on it though so...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, the one that is in there now is stock. When I added the DC header and relocated the cat I had to extend the wiring for the O2 sensor to reach the O2 bung in the header. I know that OE comes with plug and universal doesn't, but is there a difference in the two sensors? Since I might have to wire it anyway, I might as well just get the cheaper one.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm pretty sure both will be long enough with/without the plug. So its your call if you feel like wiring up the plug or not</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd rather not wire up the plug, more chances for something to go wrong. It's at least a good 12" -15" from the plug to where the bung is. Think it will really be that long? Can anyone confirm how long the wires are from connector to sensor when ordering the OE version?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:35 AM
cute little bastard

Oh right, the whole cat thing...Could you get one for a 99 Si then? The threads and plug should be the same. Double check, I'm not positive.