Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Nut, Washer, and rubber piece came off rear strut? What to do? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nut, Washer, and rubber piece came off rear strut? What to do? Help!

Alright, i have KYB AGX struts on my 97 civic hatchback. Well today i took out the rear left speaker to notice that the rubber piece had come off, it is like a rubber piece with a piece of metal goin through it. Also, i noticed that the nut and the washer came off, and went somewhere.. What do i need to do about it? Is it bad to drive with these off? What is their function? Also, how can i fix it without having to take my entire strut off, etc?

Thank you.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nut, Washer, and rubber piece came off rear strut? What to do? Help! (GroundZer0)

I'm assuming you mean that at the top of the shock tower, there are two bolts on each side, then the metal rod in the center with the rubber bushings around the rod. I'd post a pick of my install, but I don't have any on this comp.

The washer and lock nut hold the shock assembly in compression. You should be okay to drive around until you get the parts, but I'd get them soon. The reason I say this, is because the shock assy. is held in compression right now by the weight of the vehicle on it. You can get the washer at your honda dealer for a couple of bucks, same with the nut and rubber if it's needed. After you get them, just put the washer on top of the rubber, and torque the 10mm to (I beleive) 22ft/lbs, and you should be okay. Do it soon though, and don't jack up your car until you replace them.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:36 AM

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well if it's the rubber grommet/washer and nut that bolts down the strut to the strut body, you have to replace it. If the strut extends too much, it may go through the strut body and fall out of the hole. Why did it fall in the 1st place? Are the threads shot?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the only thing i can think of as well. I don't know how that could happen though.. Got pics??? Interested to see what exactly happened.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm assuming you mean that at the top of the shock tower, there are two bolts on each side, then the metal rod in the center with the rubber bushings around the rod.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, i am speaking of the metal piece with the rubber bushings. I found the rubber busing, and i also found the locking nut, but did not find the washer. Is it okay to install this without the washer? Also, since it needs to be held so the rod dosent spin when tightening, how do i do this? Thanks!
Old 03-18-2004, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (GARBhatch.)

did you forget the metal ring that goes around the the strut rod before the rubber bushings?

your strut isn't doing anything you're just bouncing on the spring.

all the repair manuals have a really good diagram of the little pieces on the strut.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shaundrake)

you mean the metal piece that the bumpstop sits on top of, or which one are you speaking of.. i assembled them correctly, i think its just that because i didnt tighten the locking nut all the way down, it spun itself off, then the metal washer and the rubber grommets and locking nut came off.. but now i cant find the washer, is it okay to just use the locking nut, and the rubber grommets?
Old 03-18-2004, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GroundZer0)

bump, please.. can someone help me out as to how to tighten them whilte the other 2 on the top are already bolted in?
Old 03-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GroundZer0)

There should be an allen key fitting on top of the strut thats how you stop it from spinning while you tighten the bolt down.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Happyman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Happyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There should be an allen key fitting on top of the strut thats how you stop it from spinning while you tighten the bolt down.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That or you need two open-ended wrenches. One to hold in place, and the second to tighten.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:56 AM

Default Re: (MichaelJComputer)

The same thing happened to me on my stock struts. I went over a bump the shock fell through the middle and rubbed against my tire until i got home. I'd get that fixed ASAP.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Happyman)

I already checked for the allen key, there is nothing. These are KYB AGX rear struts.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MichaelJComputer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MichaelJComputer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That or you need two open-ended wrenches. One to hold in place, and the second to tighten.</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually, on AGX's, you can use a pair of pliers (or vise grips) on the top of the shock rod (there's a thing on the tip for u to grip) and an open ended wrench to tighten the nut.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think we've come to the conclusion that there are multiple ways to do it

Unfortunately I'm still not 100% sure what the original poster's issue is.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dantastic)

actually, on AGX's, you can use a pair of pliers (or vise grips) on the top of the shock rod

Yeah, I used a box end wrench to hold the square piece while tightening the nut down. You absolutely need to have the washer on there though, because if you don't, the rubber will slip back over the nut (possibly) and damage the rubber. Then you'd have to fix it agian. The nut can't compress or hold the rubber on, or withstand the damping forces without the washer on there.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That shop obviously sucked. Most people know to never use a gun on shock tower bolts...