Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Now that timing is in factory spec, accel. is slower?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now that timing is in factory spec, accel. is slower?

Well I got my timing in check, 16btc. Near my house, waaaay out in the boonies, there is a road with a speed limit of 70. I checked it with the trip odometer and it check out to be almost exactly 1/4 mile. Since the speed limit is 70, and our cars aren't going to do much over 80, me and a friend like to go out there late at night, see what we get as far as mph, then kill it back down to the speed limit (I know I know chastise me, streetracing ewwww bad.) Anyways, before when my timing was way outta factory spec, like 3/4 between TDC and 14 btc, I would hit 85 mph. Now that I fixed it, I went out and tested it, and barely hit 80. This is on a JDM D15B with I/H. Anyone know whats up with that?
Old 10-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Now that timing is in factory spec, accel. is slower? (spyderracing32)

TTT

seems completely counter-intuitive
Old 10-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Now that timing is in factory spec, accel. is slower? (spyderracing32)

cause its back to stock i dont know. what is it that you want the car to do?
Old 10-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Now that timing is in factory spec, accel. is slower? (sohcvtec1995)

The timing was retarded though. It doesn't make sense that advancing it to factory-spec would make it slower.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:52 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

did you jump the connector when you did that?
Old 10-03-2004, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Now that timing is in factory spec, accel. is slower? (ABK)

Oh **** hahaha, not the last few times I checked it. Damn, haha stupid mistake .
Old 10-03-2004, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you jump the connector when you did that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not the problem..... just checked it .
Old 10-03-2004, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats probably the worst way to judge acceleration man,not to mention there are 1000 different variables that can affect acceleration like that. air temp, humidity, barmoetric pressure, etc.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:00 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Now that timing is in factory spec, accel. is slower? (Kamin)

yeah that's true, you can never launch or drive the same everytime. Just set it to factory specs and put right gas in there, and do a tune up.

GET IT DONNEEE.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the timing was retarded (and you've corrected it back to 16*) - do you now feel a little more scoot in the lower rpm range?
Old 10-03-2004, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're probably right, I finally do have my vtec working though, and that's an crazy sound haha. It bugs me though because I know my TDC is right on, and my timing is right on, but after I get into vtec for a couple seconds, then shift, my CEL comes on with the TDC code (8), and the O2 Code (1). All I have to do is turn the car off and they go away untill the next time I enter vtec. Dunno what to do about the Code 8 (checked all possibilities except changing out the dizzy), and I know I have to change the wiring around for my O2 sensor.

BTW If anyone knows what I have to do to my O2 sensor to make it run right could you please share? I'm going from a d15z1 (VX) to a JDM D15B. I have searched, but can't find the info. Thanks.

Edit: Yea I do feel a bit more in the lower rpm range, but it definately seems lacking in the upper range.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:20 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

well here is my theory, since you are still running a vx O2 and since it's a 5 wire (if I'm not mistaken) you are throwing the code (fix is either run a chipped or p08 ecu and run 1 wire o2, or run chipped or p28 ecu and run 4 wire o2). Since you are throwing a code and your computer can't really figure out if it's adding enough fuel it dumps more fuel into your engine (that slow you down).

Plus even though that your timing is set at 16 degrees you got to understand when your rpms go up your timing is going to be changed too. like in idle it will be 16degrees but if you rev it up it's going to need to fire off sooner to get effective burn so it should go up to like lets say 40 (don't know what it should go up to). And if your ECU decides to throw the motor into the limp mode it's going to change the timing too. So the timing is not going to advance the way it's supposed too.

my 2 cents.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:24 AM

this guy cant be serious a road in the boonies with a speed limit of 70?? i live in tennessee and all there is is boonies and the highest speed limit is probaly 40..

what part of the woods do you live in??

and an idea is change it back... lol that would only make sence
Old 10-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Now that timing is in factory spec, accel. is slower? (opkjoblacsh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by opkjoblacsh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this guy cant be serious a road in the boonies with a speed limit of 70?? i live in tennessee and all there is is boonies and the highest speed limit is probaly 40..

what part of the woods do you live in??

and an idea is change it back... lol that would only make sence </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't speak what you don't know... I live in michigan not tennessee. And by in the boonies I mean up north on I-75 past *******. Family cabin up there so stfu. And changing it back is a bad idea because that is not proper TDC, kindly GTFO of my thread.

ABK: I'm running the P08 ecu. Do you happen to have a link, or know, about how to convert to a 1 wire O2 sensor?
Old 10-03-2004, 10:38 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Just buy a 1 wire O2 (since yours is prolly old and is not cycling properly anyways, I don't even know if you can conver it try searching maybe). 1 wire will cost you like $30 from bosch and just hook it up to the 02 signal pin or wire (usually white, don't remember the pin on the ecu). Just check ecu wiring diagram and hook it up.