Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Noob that needs help adjusting his FPR - With pics for reference..

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob that needs help adjusting his FPR - With pics for reference..

I want to make sure my FPR is set correctly on my 00 civic si. It just has bolt on's, but the FPR was on the car when I bought it. I want to make sure I'm not running to rich or to lean. I've asked a couple of people, and they said to start the car up, let it warm up, and then take off the vaccuum hose?

Where is that? Is this the right way to do it? Does anyone know the correct PSI for a 2000 Civic si?

Here are some pictures that I took for reference, and maybe you guys can tell me where the hose is, and exactly what to do.

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Noob that needs help adjusting his FPR - With pics for reference.. (Razr2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've asked a couple of people, and they said to start the car up, let it warm up, and then take off the vaccuum hose?

Where is that? Is this the right way to do it? Does anyone know the correct PSI for a 2000 Civic si?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, that's correct. The vacuum hose is the black rubber hose connected to the top of your FPR and running to the intake manifold. The Helm states that the pressure should be 40-47 psi with the vacuum hose disconnected.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Noob that needs help adjusting his FPR - With pics for reference.. (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes, that's correct. The vacuum hose is the black rubber hose connected to the top of your FPR and running to the intake manifold.

I'll have to look it up and get back to you. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Does it matter what end I disconnect it from? Someone also mentioned putting my thumb on something to "plug" it up and get a correct reading?

And the guage way over to the left will read the PSI?
Old 12-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Noob that needs help adjusting his FPR - With pics for reference.. (Razr2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Does it matter what end I disconnect it from? Someone also mentioned putting my thumb on something to "plug" it up and get a correct reading?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not really, though I'd just pull it off the regulator itself. You shouldn't have to plug it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And the guage way over to the left will read the PSI?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's correct.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you got it down, just getting a little more feedback to make sure you do it right, But as the guy above said, You should unplug it from the actual regulator itself.

If it doesn't read right, come back
Old 12-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Noob that needs help adjusting his FPR - With pics for reference.. (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not really, though I'd just pull it off the regulator itself. You shouldn't have to plug it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The reason I said to plug the nipple from the intake manifold is so that you dont have a vacuum leak. The vacuum leak might make the car idle higher or move the idle up and down. This could make the fuel pressure change a bit as the idle fluctuates. Isn't that the reason to warm up the car before taking the reading? So that the idle is at normal RPM? If you create a vacuum leak, the idle may become irregular or high.

I also told the OP that sometimes, aftermarket regulators malfunction, or the gauge gives you an erroneous reading, or something else happens where the fuel pressure is not accurate. An OEM fuel pressure regulator would work better for his purposes.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Noob that needs help adjusting his FPR - With pics for reference.. (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The reason I said to plug the nipple from the intake manifold is so that you dont have a vacuum leak.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you can plug it to eliminate the temporary leak if it's interfering the the idle.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also told the OP that sometimes, aftermarket regulators malfunction, or the gauge gives you an erroneous reading, or something else happens where the fuel pressure is not accurate. An OEM fuel pressure regulator would work better for his purposes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I suppose it can happen on occasion, but the gauge and FPR are already installed, and it shouldn't cause a problem once he gets it set correctly.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Trial User

Alright guys, I just checked it today. I drove the car around the nieghborhood to warm it up.. It's at 32psi with the vaccuum line in.. And right around 41.5 with it out. I didn't get to read what it was at when I plugged the line because the car would just about die when I did that. The idle lowered and it was bogging a little bit.

So I know the right PSI is 40-47. Since I'm running it at right around 41-42. do you think I should adjust it to make it a bit higher? Or should I just leave it where it's at?

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And right around 41.5 with it out. I didn't get to read what it was at when I plugged the line because the car would just about die when I did that. The idle lowered and it was bogging a little bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, that's why I didn't initially mention it as part of the procedure.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I know the right PSI is 40-47. Since I'm running it at right around 41-42. do you think I should adjust it to make it a bit higher? Or should I just leave it where it's at?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you're fine where it's at.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Trial User

Yes, that's why I didn't initially mention it as part of the procedure.

I think you're fine where it's at. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahh, okay thanks bro.

Can you explain to me exactly what the vaccuum line does? I should have found that out first lol, but now I'm curious. Does it bring air from the FPR to the intake mani or vice versa?

And can taking it off and plugging it like I did do any damage to the motor, since it just about bogged out?
Old 12-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you explain to me exactly what the vaccuum line does? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It alters the static fuel pressure based on the amount of vacuum present, hence the reason why your pressure reading was lower at idle with the hose attached. At WOT (wide-open throttle), when manifold vacuum nears 0, the pressure would essentially be the same as your reading with the hose disconnected. Therefore, the setting that you're using is basically the WOT setting.

You didn't damage anything by plugging it temporarily.