Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Noises while clutch is engaged and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noises while clutch is engaged and stalls

I have a 1994 Honda Civic DX and its having problems right now.

Whenever I press the clutch in it will make a screeching noise but will go away once I let off the pedal, and it will do this every time i start in 1st and sometimes while i shift into 2nd but never when the car has enough speed...

Also while going into first or reverse it now will stall unless i rev it up more than normal so that it wont..

from what i search this sounds like my clutch master cylinder but i wanted to check with you guys before I go by parts...
Old 12-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A great way to check if your Master/slave cylindar is messed up, is to get the front of your car on jackstands. Once the wheels are off the ground, go ahead and start the car and push the clutch in and put the tranny into 1st gear, with the clutch pedal still pressed down. Have a friend or bystander look and tell you if the wheels begin to move while ur in the air, when your clutch is pushed in and in first gear. If the wheels move, its an indicator that the clutch isnt fully disengaging, which would signify a faulty master/slave cylindar, or even a really worn pressure plate (the splines lose their action so to speak, over time)
Old 12-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

yeah but sometimes even with the clutch pushed in all the way, there's enough fluid movement to make the wheels move. You can do it in neutral too. The wheels start spinning at a seemingly alarming rate, especially when you rev the engine up or the trans fluid is still cold.

Check for fluid leaks. Make sure there's enough fluid in your master cylinder reservior. If the slave cylinder gives out, it will most likely leak fluid. This could also explain your squeaking. The piston in the slave cylinder that engages the clutch fork could be squeaking due to brake fluid being on it.

If the car stalls when you put it in 1st or reverse, it seems like there definately is a problem. Try pumping the clutch before you put it in 1st or reverse and see if it still stalls. If the pumping method works, it may indicate an air bubble situation, or a fluid leak, or bad master cylinder/slave cylinder seals.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

I did notice fluid around the area of where the clutch pedal was a while back last winter, and i never got around to fixing the problem, now that its getting cold here again in colorado it seems to trigger this problem...

last time i looked under the hood i did notice that there was some fluid that was leaking from the reservoir... I will check it out tomorrow during the day to see exactly where any leaks are coming from, its just getting real bad and i hope to narrow this down before it breaks down...

Thanks 97Ej6mike and B serious for your help.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (TedR719)

fluid by the clutch pedal area definately indicates a master cylinder problem.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like your throw out bearing is seized. That would make it grab on the clutch, bogging down the engine, and making lots of noise.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fluid by the clutch pedal area definately indicates a master cylinder problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I checked when I got home and i defintaly need to replace the master cylinder, you can tell that a seal or something didnt hold up and see the caked fluid around that area...

also notice that there is fresh fluid on my passenger side axle by the tranny, couldnt get a good look because i didnt get under the car but it doesnt look the the boot is ripped, is there anything in that area that would cause tranny fluid to leak?

so clutch master cylinder to be ordered, hopefully i dont have to get too much more