Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Noise from relay, headlights doesnt light

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from relay, headlights doesnt light

Hi. Ive got some problems with a Civic ESi 92 (euopean). It started with a loud clicking sound from the fuse box in the dashboard. Ive localized the sound coming from the Power Window Relay according to american diagrams of the inside relay- and fuse box in a Civic 92-93 EX and Del Sol (I doubt that is right?). Everything else seems to match with my box. Civic 4th gen. diagrams shows that this relay is to ignition switch, but the other things are more different than my box.

At the same time the headlights stopped lighting (both low and high beam). The running lights (might be parking lights) in the rear(?) is lighting, and the parking lights in front is lighting.

These two things got to have something to do with each other, because when I pull out the running light relay fuse (nr. 16), the noise is gone. May the "P/W relay" be the running light relay? How can I find a electrical diagram of the dashboard fuse box of an Euopean Civic 92-95? Does anyone here got an ESi and know anything? Or have an explanation or advices?

Thank you!

Last edited by Civic ESi; 11-04-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Noise from relay, headlights doesnt light

First thing to do is test to see if the relay is bad:

There are 2 circuits in a relay- the control side and the action side. Take the relay out and run a jumper wire from battery positive to one terminal of the control side. Then run a jumper wire from battery negative to the other control side terminal. Once you touch that second jumper to the control terminal you should hear (and feel) exactly 1 click. Any more clicks than that and the relay's bad.

If it doesn't click when you connect the second jumper wire then try a different combination of terminals. If it doesn't click in any combination then it's bad. It doesn't matter which terminal goes to positive or negative, you're not gonna hurt the relay. Usually the control terminals are the smaller ones.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Noise from relay, headlights doesnt light

Thanks, smart trick. The relay is OK.
It is the running light realy btw, not the p/w window realy.
I recently purchased a new battery, right before this started. May this be bad, and not deliver enough voltage to the relay?

Thanks!