Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NO VTEC (YES I SEARCHED)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO VTEC (YES I SEARCHED)

i just swapped in a D15 into my 94 ex coupe. Its wired up for vtec, but the motor i had in their for the past year didnt have it (vtec). So when i bought the swap and the new computer it was much to my surprise when the vtec didnt engage. I know that vtec wont engage unless the car is warmed up, but after about ten minutes when my car is clearly warmed up, the temp gauge doesnt move. My po8 also throws a check engine light with a code 19, but as it turns out that just means its from an automatic. Ill drive it for about 20 minutes and that temp gauge doesnt move.
I checked previous forums, and if you successfully find a link that helps me fix this, than I will gladly admit Im a expletivein idiot.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: NO VTEC (everythingwentblack)

For vtec to work it must meet the requirements for the following: Engine speed, coolant temp, oil pressure, and i think map pressure. If your coolant temp isnt moving at all at the gauge chances are the ecu isn't reading it either and that could be why vtec isn't engaging. Also, a some cases vtec wont engage if you have a cel on too, i dont know if this is one of those cases though.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:45 AM

hey wyotech kid whats up. i go to uti right now. wyotech is better lol. why did you 75.5 vitara???? i was just gunna run 75 mm. is it necessary for me to bore over to 75.5??
Old 03-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so what do you suggest? Double checking all the coolant? Im going to go double check all the wiring to make sure it isnt something stupid. Im 100% positive, but its worth a shot.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (everythingwentblack)

sounds like coolant temp sensor is bad
Old 03-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (speedooo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedooo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like coolant temp sensor is bad</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (uenolove)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by z6hatchboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For vtec to work it must meet the requirements for the following: Engine speed, coolant temp, oil pressure, and i think map pressure. If your coolant temp isnt moving at all at the gauge chances are the ecu isn't reading it either and that could be why vtec isn't engaging. Also, a some cases vtec wont engage if you have a cel on too, i dont know if this is one of those cases though.</TD></TR></TABLE>
that is correct. the vtec will not engage if u r throwing a code its for protection of the motor. but it does sound like since its not reading the temp the ecu doesnt reconize it ither and there for not engaging check the wiring again and the temp g
Old 03-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (cmiller219)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cmiller219 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
that is correct. the vtec will not engage if u r throwing a code its for protection of the motor. but it does sound like since its not reading the temp the ecu doesnt reconize it ither and there for not engaging check the wiring again and the temp g</TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong, vtec will still engage even if you are still throwing certain CEL's, it just depends on what CEL it is, and vtec is based on throttle position too.

For the OP:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by everythingwentblack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just swapped in a D15 into my 94 ex coupe. Its wired up for vtec, but the motor i had in their for the past year didnt have it (vtec). So when i bought the swap and the new computer it was much to my surprise when the vtec didnt engage. I know that vtec wont engage unless the car is warmed up, but after about ten minutes when my car is clearly warmed up, the temp gauge doesnt move. My po8 also throws a check engine light with a code 19, but as it turns out that just means its from an automatic. Ill drive it for about 20 minutes and that temp gauge doesnt move.
I checked previous forums, and if you successfully find a link that helps me fix this, than I will gladly admit Im a expletivein idiot. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't quite understand the whole "Its wired up for vtec, but the motor i had in their for the past year didn't have it (vtec). So when i bought the swap and the new computer it was much to my surprise when the vtec didn't engage."

Did you re-use your current non-vtec model harness? If so did you run wires for the vtec solenoid and knock sensor?

Some details would help on this, how did you go about getting the air bubbles out of your coolant system? Did you double check your sensors are plugged in?

Also sounds like your running an auto ecu?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Memnoch- i used the stock harness from my ex. When i got my car it was auto and had a single cam vtec in it. I swapped in a lower end non vtec just becasue thast what my buddy had for cheap when my stock motor kicked the boot, but didnt bother expletiveing with any of the vtec **** (no vtec on the motor, the plugs just sat there dangling in the harness). There are no air bubbles in my coolant, i do have an auto ecu (thats what jdmenginedepot gave me, im calling on monday to get a manual one that way the check engine light goes off), and there is no knock sensor in single cams. Talk about a bitch, i havent had vtec for so long, its like blue ***** when i got it running (Even though its only a d series and not crazy its still better than what i had) Im just tryin to fix up a good DD
Old 03-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My y8 has a knock sensor and so do z6's I believe, try the manual ecu and see what happens as far as CEL's and hit us back up. As for right now do you have any other ecu's to try?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I have a po6 but it wont help me since its out of a hatch wtih no vtec (hah, go figure just my luck). As far as the warming up is concerned, i just did a redrain of coolant, and it got a lot better (warming up i mean). As far as the vtec though, still no luck (goddamn)
Old 03-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One issue at a time resolved... Its how I focus on my car

Lets see what the new ecu does that your getting..
Old 03-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NO VTEC (everythingwentblack)

from my recolection, if you're running an auto ecu, it should have nothing to do with the vtech kicking in, all the CEL you're getting is from the torque converter, its trying to locate it, thus not finding it, thus you throwing a cel, as far as the vtech goes, check the wiring to the solenoid itself, if thats not it, you might wanna go find yourself a d15b vtech wiring harness

and if that fails, get a rocket launcher and go to town on that sucka
Old 03-02-2008, 12:27 AM
x0!
Honda-Tech Member

its vtec, not vtech. unless the op has a phone under his hood.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (x0!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by x0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its vtec, not vtech. unless the op has a phone under his hood.</TD></TR></TABLE>oh im expletivein sorry lil man, i threw an h in there on accident

i didnt mean to offend you. i know its vtec

**** happens, if you're gonna nit pick on my spelling, then eat a dick
Old 03-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (dannycraq)

if ur map sensor was bad, vtec wouldn't engage too right?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sic_DA_Nine)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sic_DA_Nine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if ur map sensor was bad, vtec wouldn't engage too right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

and he would throw a code for it also, all he is throwing is the 19 for the a/t tranny