Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

No Power to Stereo & Cigarette Lighter, help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 No Power to Stereo & Cigarette Lighter, help please

Hi guys, wondering if someone could help me out. I've posted up on one of my UK sites but to no avail.

Right, i've got no power going to the cigarette lighter or the stereo at the moment, i've checked the fuse and it's fine.

So i took the dashboard completely out and tested for continuity, i got continuity from the fuse to the live on the stereo block & ciggy lighter point. I also got continuity between the earth cable on the ciggy lighter and the cars' chassis.

BUT, i had no continuity between the stereo's earth and the chassis. So i ran a piece of cable from the stereo block to the cars' chassis to see if that helped anything.

So i set about testing voltage, and i had something that was opposite to what i was expecting. When i tested between the live of the loom (stereo & cig lighter) and the car's chassis, i was reading 0v. But then when i tested between there and the fuse, i was reading 12v.

I thought this should be the other way around, and makes me wonder if the live & earth have somehow been swapped and that's why i reading a voltage back to the fuse but not to the earth?

But on the other hand, i spoke to the cars' previous owner, and he said it was all working fine, he did a dashboard swap and it was still working, but stopped functioning a few days after the dash swap.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom