Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Nice subwoofer setup behind seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice subwoofer setup behind seats

I just set up a sub in my 96 del Sol if anyone needs ideas. The passenger seat can go all the way back, and the drivers seat can almost go all the way back. I bought a Qpower Single 10" Truck Ported SPL Empty Woofer Box with Bed Liner Spray from Amazon for $58 paired with a soundstream Picasso 10" sub, and this thing pounds. I attached Velcro tape to the bottom of the box and the cubbies, and Velcro tape on the back wall , and its solid. Just thought anyone who needed a idea can use this, I know I got a headache trying to figure it out without modifications.

Rear speakers are not affected
Goes to the top of the back wall perfectly
Old 11-01-2016, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Nice subwoofer setup behind seats

So if I understand correctly you have a 25lb box held down with velcro right behind your head ?
Old 11-01-2016, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Nice subwoofer setup behind seats

I kinda agree, everything you've done besides using velcro isn't too bad, but I can promise you that the heat and cooling cycles/vibration/stop and go forces/time will affect the velcro adhesive very badly, even if it IS the industrial strength super duty velcro. Iv'e been there done that, it isnt a pretty thing when it goes.

You might want to look into measuring the maximum cone/surround travel your sub makes and attach a protective grille, you don't want that surround wearing itself on the driver's seat back.

A prefab box DOES make install easier in most cases, but the del sol is not one of them. A custom box with the sub mounted sub-flush with a grille and centered between the two seats with box space extending behind the seats ( to account for the calculated proper box volume) might yield better results, but will certainly require some work. Almost every del sol ive had hands on for audio work has utilized the trunk space under the targa rack for a sub.

Small example of the benefits of custom boxes: (Proper internal volume, properly set depth and angled for hinge clearance under ALL conditions) Note that this was taken in the fitting part of my install, and does not show the final product (interior panels,felt underlay,grilles...etc.)