Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Next Step in tunning my car???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Step in tunning my car???

Hey wassup peeps. Nothing much here. Well i have been searching around and looking over the net recently. I have also been reading alot of car magazines. I have gotten a

-AEM Cold air intake
-DC Sports Headers (D-Series) [creamic headers]
-Skunk2 Intake Manifold
-DC Sports Catback exhuast

taht is all i have so far in my car, the problem in i don't know what else to do. what else should i get? i have looked around and all i see are pulleys and some pole thing that boosts up torque. i don't really see anything else i can do. Should i get a intercooler system or something? get those 3 pods with the water.airflow, etc. or what ever they are?? im not so shure? i want more speed but i'm all out of ideas. any suggestions?
Old 08-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Next Step in tunning my car??? (explictness)

boooosshht
Old 08-28-2004, 05:21 PM

If you actually have that stuff at the age of 16, and after asking what a flywheel is then ok. You don't need an intercooler if you're not boosted. Try pulleys, throttle bodies high flow cats/test pipes. Just little stuff. Maybe get a V-AFC and do some dyno tuning. If you're interested you can also try making your car weigh less. Maybe getting rid of A/C?
Old 08-28-2004, 05:23 PM

first off your an idiot.. there is a **** load of things you can do, like..N2o if you dont have the money for a swap or a turbo, get a different valve train, new cam(s) new rims, tires.. suspension.... you name it. if you ask gay Q's like that you wont last long on this forum.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:28 PM
egizzle8

Default Re: Next Step in tunning my car??? (green00EX)

"Should i get a intercooler system or something?" WTF. You bought some pretty good **** so far but your talking about a intercooler system? What the hell magazines have you been reading? Hell you could get a new cam, new valvetrain, lightweight flywheel, nice clutch, and the list goes on and on. There's alot of **** you can do being NA. Next time I hear you talking bout an intercooler system or some pole **** that increase boost I'm pick your eye's out with a rusty spoon.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Next Step in tunning my car??? (egizzle6)

Come on, he's 16. He didnt even know what a flywheel was.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Next Step in tunning my car??? (civicsicko)

HAHA geez im only 16, going on 17 this December. LoL calm down! im not that ritch. i only have 600 left untill my birthday! haha valve train, new cam i dunn even know what those 2 things are. im still learning about some parts buddy. Calm down.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:35 PM

= ] i read import Tuner, HCI, Honda Tuning, and super street. im thinking of subscribbing to some other magazines. duno yet. = P
Old 08-28-2004, 05:35 PM

Geez. I'm a firm believer that if you don't know what it does, don't fool with it. If you don't know anything about cars.....then learn first.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Next Step in tunning my car??? (Revolver)

LoL! of course i duno what a fly wheel was. i didnt look into that part when i 1st thought of tuning my car. and i read that fly wheels is with the tranny and stuff, that it is with the clutch n all. the gear ratio's n crap. i got it from taht how stuff works site. and uh, yeahs. i have a automatic civic, so yeah. is a fly wheel even important if you have auto?
Old 08-28-2004, 05:38 PM

Haha i know, im still learning about car parts n stuff. rite now im looking into cams n stuff.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:39 PM

Automatic = no flywheel
Old 08-28-2004, 05:41 PM

oh ok, well then i kinda asked that question for nothing? don't know. well now i learned what a fly wheel is now. haha!!
Old 08-28-2004, 05:41 PM

Revolver. What kind of car you got? Any pix?
Old 08-28-2004, 05:44 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You need to do a lot more reading than posting at your current knowledge level.

This would be a good place to start: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=642479
Old 08-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Next Step in tunning my car???

i'd say the next step would be an AUTOMATIC to MANUAL swap. ditch that auto p.o.s. so start finding parts and search for the info

option two is boost. i've seen a few turbo automatics that were fun to drive, but start saving cause with you lacking knowledge you should have someone else put it together and tune it.

but i'd go out now and buy a haynes (sp) manual and read it through and thru, or go to a community college and get an auto-tech text book, use these both for refrence. but at least your off to a good start with those quality parts

goodluck
Old 08-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Next Step in tunning my car??? (civicsicko)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicsicko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first off your an idiot.. there is a **** load of things you can do, like..N2o if you dont have the money for a swap or a turbo, get a different valve train, new cam(s) new rims, tires.. suspension.... you name it. if you ask gay Q's like that you wont last long on this forum. </TD></TR></TABLE>
n00b flaming n00b - awesome
You'll have to pardon the immature folk in here, they're quick to flame and not help out, even though this isn't the Kills forum... There are plenty of things you can do, but since you're so inexperienced, some of us will attempt to help you out. Your best bet to go next (if you're not going to turbo your car, which at this state is probably beyond you) would probably be to get something like a stage 1 cam. A camshaft is the bumpy rod that forces the valves open to let air and fuel in or let the exhaust out. Aftermarket cams have larger lobes, allowing the valves to be open longer. In lamens, it gives you more power. Give this a read- it'll help to explain Camshaft article. There's also a link to how the internal combustion motor works on that website. If you want to know, it'll be easier for you to just read it and figure it out.
Nitrous might not be a good option for you, if you're lead-footed (which most of us tend to be when we get a new power adder ) Since you've got a SOHC motor, you might be better off to just go with a new cam, or if you've got the non-VTEC motor, you could swap on a new cylinder head and gain the potentials of VTEC. Here's a large write-up on the mini me swap (putting a VTEC head on a non-VTEC motor) Mini me write-up. This combined with an EX tranny will probably give you the kind of power and quickness that you might be looking for. There are lots of possibilities, most with both pros and cons, so just do some research and make an informed decision based upon your studies and your goals for your car. Good luck!
Old 08-28-2004, 05:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by explictness &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Revolver. What kind of car you got? Any pix?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm soon to start wrenching on a '82 280zx if you really need to know. You can easily find pics on google.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:53 PM
egizzle8

Default Re: Next Step in tunning my car??? (MonkeyMagic)

Hell if your installing the other **** then you should know **** about car. Don't blame age on that ****. If you didn't know **** than you'd be buying OBX intake manifolds and not high quality name brands but then again that like people buying Jordan and don't even play ball or wear skate shoe and not even skate.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Next Step in tunning my car??? (hatchling37)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchling37 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
bumpy rod</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-28-2004, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Next Step in tunning my car??? (hatchling37)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchling37 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
n00b flaming n00b - awesome
You'll have to pardon the immature folk in here, they're quick to flame and not help out, even though this isn't the Kills forum... There are plenty of things you can do, but since you're so inexperienced, some of us will attempt to help you out. Your best bet to go next (if you're not going to turbo your car, which at this state is probably beyond you) would probably be to get something like a stage 1 cam. A camshaft is the bumpy rod that forces the valves open to let air and fuel in or let the exhaust out. Aftermarket cams have larger lobes, allowing the valves to be open longer. In lamens, it gives you more power. Give this a read- it'll help to explain Camshaft article. There's also a link to how the internal combustion motor works on that website. If you want to know, it'll be easier for you to just read it and figure it out.
Nitrous might not be a good option for you, if you're lead-footed (which most of us tend to be when we get a new power adder ) Since you've got a SOHC motor, you might be better off to just go with a new cam, or if you've got the non-VTEC motor, you could swap on a new cylinder head and gain the potentials of VTEC. Here's a large write-up on the mini me swap (putting a VTEC head on a non-VTEC motor) Mini me write-up. This combined with an EX tranny will probably give you the kind of power and quickness that you might be looking for. There are lots of possibilities, most with both pros and cons, so just do some research and make an informed decision based upon your studies and your goals for your car. Good luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank's yo. i will consider reading about this stuff. um for me to go to a college and get a book, do i have to be like 18?? i am thinking no, but i'm just asking to be shure. haha, i think i will swap a new cylinder head to get the "potentials of Vteck" heh, i dunn have V-teck. NON-VTEK MOTOR OVER HERE!! WHOoT! ^_^ Represent. but would be really good if i had one, = ] i would have way more power than i do now. hehe thx for your tips. hope they work out.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egizzle6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hell if your installing the other **** then you should know **** about car. Don't blame age on that ****. If you didn't know **** than you'd be buying OBX intake manifolds and not high quality name brands but then again that like people buying Jordan and don't even play ball or wear skate shoe and not even skate.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i do know about my car. im just off on some stuff. im a tuner n00b yes, but it don't mean i wont get better? and i don't like OBX and all them other crap. i like the good ****, Greddy, Apex, Skunk2, AEM. SORRY for liking good brands. and i don't buy jordan kuz he is gay, and i don't like baseketball, and i don't wear skateing shoes. i dont skate. im a bboy. i wear new balance and pac sun clothing. = ]
Old 08-28-2004, 06:05 PM

Hopefully his grammar will improve as well....
Can't ask questions about your car if no one knows what you're saying!
Old 08-28-2004, 06:09 PM

Haha, fine then. From now on I will talk and type correctly. = D
Is that better? Oh well, I will just keep reading and go look at some mechanic books. I have to get better at knowing about engines and what not.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:13 PM

, That was easy....

Quick Reply: Next Step in tunning my car???