Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie question

installed my new radiator today, after driving around for about 5mins i noticed smoked coming from under the hood... both hoses were on tight so is it the radiator that was messed up? at first it didnt drip but a drop and after 5 mins of driving, in which i hit full boost once or twice and the rest was just regular driving. the temp needle only reached the half way point before i got my car home and turned it off.

i didnt bleed all the air out of the cooling system, does that seem like the result, of what i mentioned above? could i have f*cked anything up?

i thought i blew a head gasket or something but the overfill bottle is the same and theres no oil in it or anything, so if i just bleed the air out will it be ok? or what can i check for to see if anything is messed up

Old 01-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: newbie question (ratboy)

there may be a coating on the rad that is burning off, also if you may have overflowed a little that may be burning off as well. let it run in the driveway and see if it persists.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: newbie question (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there may be a coating on the rad that is burning off, also if you may have overflowed a little that may be burning off as well. let it run in the driveway and see if it persists.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so your saying its normal for this when installing a new rad? what do u mean a coating that is burning off, i just came over and the fluid was like all over the fan and radiator. it just keeps leaking now. it will run fine and not leak for like a min but then it starts to sound/look like someone purging there nitrous system
Old 01-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: newbie question (fafsa)

Check the fan belts. See if the radiator is punctured in any way. Otherwise just check to be sure the cap and cables are on tight. And the coating he is talking about is an oil they put on metal to keep it clean and shiny antil it is used. Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: newbie question (tabrisakakaoru)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tabrisakakaoru &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the fan belts. See if the radiator is punctured in any way. Otherwise just check to be sure the cap and cables are on tight. And the coating he is talking about is an oil they put on metal to keep it clean and shiny antil it is used. Hope this helps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm made us think, when we were putting the fan on it, we zip tied the half radatior to a spot on the car and pulled it kinda tight and it must have jammed the part of the fan and made a hole on it??
Old 01-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea that mite do it.(plastic zip ties very very hot radiator?) the radiator is supposed to have a small amount of give that is why it is mounted stiff on the bottom with just bushing on top. I'm not sure but I think if the radiator has a hole from the fan it looks like a purge constantly without stopping until the fluid is gone, or as long as the car is warm. I saw it happen to a teg down at the track and his looked like a purge coming out from under the front bumper and it didn't stop till it ran out. But anyways good luck with the radiator.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:16 AM

Default Re: newbie question (tabrisakakaoru)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tabrisakakaoru &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea that mite do it.(plastic zip ties very very hot radiator?) the radiator is supposed to have a small amount of give that is why it is mounted stiff on the bottom with just bushing on top. I'm not sure but I think if the radiator has a hole from the fan it looks like a purge constantly without stopping until the fluid is gone, or as long as the car is warm. I saw it happen to a teg down at the track and his looked like a purge coming out from under the front bumper and it didn't stop till it ran out. But anyways good luck with the radiator.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, im pretty sure there is a hole in it since its purging out
Old 01-22-2005, 06:22 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just cooling burning off, don't worry about it.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:27 AM

Default Re: newbie question (menkio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by menkio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just cooling burning off, don't worry about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its actually making the purging noise too, coolant burning off doesnt make that noise does it? and after like 5 mins there is no more coolant in the radiator at all