Notices

could i have f*cked something up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could i have f*cked something up?

installed my new radiator today, after driving around for about 5mins i noticed smoked coming from under the hood... both hoses were on tight so is it the radiator that was messed up? at first it didnt drip but a drop and after 5 mins of driving, in which i hit full boost once or twice and the rest was just regular driving. the temp needle only reached the half way point before i got my car home and turned it off
Old 01-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: could i have f*cked something up? (ratboy)

did you fully bleed all the air out of the cooling system after you installed your new rad?
Old 01-21-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: could i have f*cked something up? (non-VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you fully bleed all the air out of the cooling system after you installed your new rad?</TD></TR></TABLE>

how do u do that? i just refilled it up to the top. what can happen cuz i didnt bleed all of the air out of the cooling system? i thought i blew a head gasket or something but the overfill bottle is the same and theres no oil in it or anything, so if i just bleed the air out will it be ok? or what can i check for to see if anything is messed up
Old 01-21-2005, 06:53 PM

since i cant post anymore im on my freinds user name... but someone said this when i posted in the civic forum

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there may be a coating on the rad that is burning off, also if you may have overflowed a little that may be burning off as well. let it run in the driveway and see if it persists.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so your saying its normal for this when installing a new rad? what do u mean a coating that is burning off, i just came over and the fluid was like all over the fan and radiator. it just keeps leaking now. it will run fine and not leak for like a min but then it starts to sound/look like someone purging there nitrous system
Old 01-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: could i have f*cked something up? (fafsa)

thats air in the system, turn the radiator cap all the way till it locks, then turn it to take it off until it pops one time, DONT TAKE IT ALL THE WAY OFF. let the car run and reach operating temperature for a while
Old 01-21-2005, 09:03 PM

if u spilled coolant when filling ur rad, it could be the excess coolant that u spilled just burning off...
Old 01-22-2005, 06:14 AM

Default Re: (B18 CYA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18 CYA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if u spilled coolant when filling ur rad, it could be the excess coolant that u spilled just burning off...</TD></TR></TABLE>

but it was also burning the coolant inside the rad. too.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:51 AM

Default Re: (fafsa)

Old 01-22-2005, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just bleed your radiator system. turn your car on with the radiator cap off make sure the coolant is filled up. Wait til your car is fully warm and keep adding coolant if it starts to get lower. All the bubles have to come out of your coolant system thru the raditor opening. After all the bubles are out make sure your raditor is filled up and wait til the fan turns on and off twice.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Ronin EG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ronin EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just bleed your radiator system. turn your car on with the radiator cap off make sure the coolant is filled up. Wait til your car is fully warm and keep adding coolant if it starts to get lower. All the bubles have to come out of your coolant system thru the raditor opening. After all the bubles are out make sure your raditor is filled up and wait til the fan turns on and off twice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that should do the trick, and if you spill anything, it will burn... Could be what is going on now, but more than likely it is air in the system.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:47 AM

Default Re: (93turbo16)

after i started to realize the needle going up i pulled over and there was fluid all over the engine bay
Old 01-22-2005, 07:54 AM
john d

comments will be reposted depending how situation is handled by street imports

Modified by john d at 5:38 PM 1/22/2005
Old 01-22-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: (john d)

well we just sent each other pics of our radiators and both are pretty much the same, bent fins and all. well were gunna meet up and post up later

thanks everyone
Old 01-22-2005, 08:14 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fafsa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well we just sent each other pics of our radiators and both are pretty much the same, bent fins and all. well were gunna meet up and post up later

thanks everyone</TD></TR></TABLE>

Broken or not, it's highly possible that your problem occured because of slipshod installation, i.e. not bleeding the coolant system like you're supposed to. Air doesn't pressurize well, and if there's enough of it in the system, it heats and expands and forces coolant out all over the place. This, naturally, keeps coolant from flowing properly throughout the engine and, thus, you overheat.

A bad radiator is one thing; bad installation isn't helping the matter.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:03 PM

do i have to redo it since the fans didnt turn on? how do u know if the thermostat opens/turns on?
Old 01-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could i have f*cked something up? (fafsa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fafsa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do i have to redo it since the fans didnt turn on? how do u know if the thermostat opens/turns on?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you hear it when the thermostat kicks in and the fans turn on at the same time. just let your car run till (leave the cap off) you dont see anymore bubbles coming out. this is the easy way.
\
\
also you can bleed the thermo. by loosening the screw on top of it. when the fans kick on loosen the screw and let the water flow til theres a solid w/ no bubbles. goodluck